An absolute bl**dy disgrace

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
mario

Re: An absolute bl**dy disgrac...

Post by mario »

ian.birchall posted:
It was obvious after Friday night that Betts was on borrowed time but the signing of a man who, whatever his record at St Helens has been, has shown Wigan no respect at all for the last 5 years is just what the headline says.
Getting rid of Robinson last year, and I would remind readers that it was done on the insistence of Farrell who then leaves the club, nearly provoked me into giving up the season ticket I have had for the last 23 years, this has.
I will not be appearing at Wigan again. :angry: :angry: :angry:
If the rumours are right about Robbo,then perhaps Farrell was correct to insist on him leaving.
As for Millward, I don't think anyhting he ever said against Wigan was anything other than doing his job.
I hope he doesn't do the same with other teams whilst at Wigan though,because it has the same effect as booing the Aussie national anthem. Makes them even more determined to beat us.
I think the club has treated Betts with a much respect as they could in appointing Millward and Betts seems happy with the decision,so i don't see why we should'nt be either.
I just hope Maurice has given Millward full control on which players come and go,otherwise we will stay in this situation, whoever is coach.
AncientWarrior

Re: An absolute bl**dy disgrac...

Post by AncientWarrior »

ian.birchall posted:
It was obvious after Friday night that Betts was on borrowed time but the signing of a man who, whatever his record at St Helens has been, has shown Wigan no respect at all for the last 5 years is just what the headline says.
Getting rid of Robinson last year, and I would remind readers that it was done on the insistence of Farrell who then leaves the club, nearly provoked me into giving up the season ticket I have had for the last 23 years, this has.
I will not be appearing at Wigan again. :angry: :angry: :angry:
Couldn't agree more mate!
In addition to showing Wigan scant respect, he has also made many enemies within the R.L. hierarchy and with fans and officials of other clubs. His new employment at Wigan will not cancel these things out - rather the animosity will arrive with him.

My first reaction upon hearing the news was the same as yours i.e. find something else to do on match days, but then I realised that I'd be cutting off my nose to spite my face. I like going to the match. This is our club, not Millward's and it will still be here long after he's gone so I'm staying. At least we'll be able to watch the players hugging each other on the centre spot before the start of each game a la St Helens.
A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success.

gab0512

Re: An absolute bl**dy dis...

Post by gab0512 »

Reality check!!!

With the results over recent months (excluding the good easter), there were a lot of people questioning whether Betts/Team were up to the job or not. Not only that, they were calling for Mo's head as well!!

Wake up to the facts rather than generate hatred of the person

- Fact No 1 Millward is the most successful coach of the Superleague era. Who better to bring out the best in a very young inexperienced team than the No 1 coach in the last decade?

IMO Mo has acted responsibly to reverse the obvious trend of losing, and the manner in which we lose. He has offered a long term contract to a guy who has achieved the most trophies in the last decade, as well as keeping a promising young future coach. Why are people threatening to burn their season ticets or not turn out to support the team because of IM's appointment!!!

Maybe he is arrogant, maybe he is overly honest in his opinions and should try to get the message across in a different manner - but I for one don't care about a person's past. That's gone and cannot be changed - doesn't mean he hasn't learned from the experience and will adopt a different approach.

All successful people have a little arrogance. That's why they are winners. Who can say that we as supporters didn't have over inflated ego's in the late 80's early 90's when we won everything?

Rather than constantly find things to moan about - SUPPORT THE TEAM rather than look for the eacy cop out and blame Millward/Mo/Betts/Team or anybody else I've missed.

GIVE THE GUY A CHANCE - THAT IS ALL HE WILL ASK FOR, AND THAT'S THE LEAST WE SHOULD GIVE HIM IN RETURN

Failing that revert to common sense - you've already forked out money for the season so why waste money and throw it in the bin! :eusa16:
munchkin

Post by munchkin »

Well i think that it has been a long time coming that something has been done about the state of the wigan side. i think all the players must have had a sleep during half time on friday as they obviously were not bothered about winning what so ever, Terry Newton was the only one who showed any emotion about the fact that they had lost the rest just stood in the middle of the pitch waiting until all the fans had left so they did not have to walk past the booing which was well deserved. I think that if st helens have been so stupid to sack there coach for as something as silly as they did then they must be stupid and i think it was an opportunity wigan could not miss, i mean they can not get any worse can they. If the players have no longer any desire to win then they are getting paid far too much money for what they do which at the moment is not much. I am not suprised that people have been talking about giving season tickets up as who wants to fork out £200 to watch 13 blokes ponce around for 80 mins. When it comes down to it i would still watch wigan if they were relegated doesn't mean we don't have a right to have our say on things. Oh and while i'm on one does anyone else agree that as andy farrell keeps turning up at every match and getting himself on tv why did he leave in the first place???? :angry:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

munchkin posted:
Oh and while i'm on one does anyone else agree that as andy farrell keeps turning up at every match and getting himself on tv why did he leave in the first place???? :angry:
Well I have wondered, given his stated love for the club, that as he has watched the team decline whether or not the thought crossed his mind to forgo his move to Union to help the club out!

Or at least make himself available to play until June 1st if fit.

But now you mention his name I wonder if Millward will want him around the place as he has been lately?

I can't help thinking that given what Millward will hopefully bring which is a new apporach the time is right for Andy to move on and cut his ties.

I have no dount Andy was there with the best of intensions but I can't see Millward wanting an ex-player around even if he is still contracted to the club.

Dave
mrs_carney

Re: An absolut bl**dy disg...

Post by mrs_carney »

Doveoverdave posted:

Robinson, Briscoe and Hodgeson would waltz into our squad as well. What greater indicment of the recruiting /retention policy can there be.
Robinson was let go for a reason, nothing to do with the salary cap really, the fact he refused to take orders from the captain and had a bust up with faz, who are they going to favour faz or robbo? I dont think robinson would push moran for a place, he seems to be finding his feet at the moment and when orr went off on friday it shows how much we missed him. Briscoe might make the bench in our team at the moment but hes not overly fantastic in the defensive area. Hodgson might make water carrier and thats about it!
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

mrs c posted:

Briscoe might make the bench in our team at the moment
Give me a break! He is scoring for fun at Hull. I suppose Horne and Cooke wouldn't make the strict criteria for our fabulous squad!
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

glad someone else noticed our decline after orr when off. if millie can stop the stupid mistakes ,like trying to get too much to quick and losing the ball on first tackle we,ll improve massively over night. we lost 3 trys on fri from our own dumb mistakes
wolftown warrior

Post by wolftown warrior »

not a fan of millward as a person but as a coach he is A+.
and saints do play some exciting rugby.. hopefully that will be implemented into our style of play from this point on..

like i said.. blokes an arrogant idiot.. but as a RL coach... i am pleased we signed him..

the drive back down the m6 wasn`t very pleasent last friday..!!!!!! right now.. we need a winner & ian millward is a proven winner..

look for an influx of big tongan props in the next few weeks!!! he always seem to dig em up from somewhere..!!!
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

Doveoverdave posted:
mrs c posted:

Briscoe might make the bench in our team at the moment
Give me a break! He is scoring for fun at Hull. I suppose Horne and Cooke wouldn't make the strict criteria for our fabulous squad!
Did you mention horne? Did you mention cooke? No. So what if briscoe is scoring tries for fun at hull, is he stopping them for fun as well??? Horne would walk into our team and to be honest i wish he would.
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3