Interview and my thoughts

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ChrisA

Interview and my thoughts

Post by ChrisA »

After listineing to Millwards interview on the official site, I was glad to hear he insisted on Betts being his assistant, when the two have been guests at the same time they have always seemed to get on well and shared similar views on the game and how it should be played, Betts can and will learn from Millward there is no doubt of that.
Hearing him say "us" and "we" is strange, but its a strange that I like. For along time hes abeen a guy I dislike because hes arrogant, he was coaching the plastic scousers, but most of all hes an excellent coach who gets the best out of players, and instills a confidence in players to play good attacking rugby. Now though hesa coach who is doing all the above for our club, I dont really care about what he did at Saints, I feel he will have learned to bite his tongue now though, hes made his mistakes at the Stains, now we can benefit from the knowledge hes aquired and really become the force we should be in Super League, it may take time, but it will come.

These are exciting times for Wigan, we are in a transitional period we all know that, and now with Millward and Betts by his side, I feel more confident we will get through it and become a top side once again.
A week ago I didnt feel so optimistic about our future, it was clear Betts wasnt ready to lead the side on his own, but now working under Millward he can learn so much, and after listening to some of Betts comments, I think he knew to that he wasnt quite ready to handle the task, and I really do beleive that he thinks he will learn so much from Millward, I do not beleive he holds any grudges towards the club for bringing in Millward, in a way i think he is greatful, he knew he was in a hole, and all that was happening was he was digging himself deeper into it the more things went wrong. Now he can relax, step back, watch how a more experiedced and qualified coach handles the same situations that he had to, maybe look what he did wrong in certain situations etc, learn how to get the best out of players who are under performing.

Millward also seems to excel in man management, he can talk to a player and really bring him on, he can turn the potential in a player into a reality and turn that player into a guy who performs week in and week out.

Some people can dwell on the negative things he has done in the past, however I will not do that, he is here now and I going to think about the positives he brings to our club, not dwell on the negatives from hes previous employment.
GeoffN

Re: Interview and my thoughts

Post by GeoffN »

I'd agree with all that, Chris.

This still doesn't look right, though...

mrs_carney

Re: Interview and my thoug...

Post by mrs_carney »

No that did scare me when i went on the website!
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

GeoffN posted:

yay you agree with me for once :lol: things are looking up :D

also I tried to set that to my avatar, but it wont let me, i resized it and uploaded it, but it wont change :conf:
Tom_McCooey

Post by Tom_McCooey »

That picture looks so strange! I like it though, and I like what I've heard from those interviews. I'm excited about watching how we change in the next few weeks.
Wigan 'til I die.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

ChrisA posted:
GeoffN posted:

yay you agree with me for once :lol: things are looking up :D

also I tried to set that to my avatar, but it wont let me, i resized it and uploaded it, but it wont change :conf:
That should be plastered all over St Helens.
bertina

Re: Interview and my thoughts

Post by bertina »

What is definitely needed first of all is some a**e kicking!
All this talk about certain players not wanting to play for a particular coach is crap.They are playing for the club, and if they dont give their all, they should be shown the door.
Next job is to appoint a new captain.No disrespect to Radlinski, He's a great player and a smashing lad, but he's not strong enough as captain.Last friday when the Giants were scoring tries almost at will in the second half, the Wigan players were stood under the sticks with their heads down.no one was talking.Farrell would have been b******ing people up hill and down dale.Give the captaincy to someone who is not afraid to upset people to get the message home, and get the job done.
My main concern is how much freedom Millward will be given to do as he pleases without the interference of doris.Millward is a class coach and should be allowed to do his job, but we all know how fiery he can be, and I can't see him putting up with doris getting involved with team affairs.
WE'LL SEE!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

bertina posted:
What is definitely needed first of all is some a**e kicking!
All this talk about certain players not wanting to play for a particular coach is crap.They are playing for the club, and if they dont give their all, they should be shown the door.
I agree. I'd wipe the slate clean and give 'em all another chance but if any continue to swing the lead get rid of those we can.
Next job is to appoint a new captain.No disrespect to Radlinski, He's a great player and a smashing lad, but he's not strong enough as captain.Last friday when the Giants were scoring tries almost at will in the second half, the Wigan players were stood under the sticks with their heads down.no one was talking.Farrell would have been b******ing people up hill and down dale.Give the captaincy to someone who is not afraid to upset people to get the message home, and get the job done.
I think the obvious candidate is Danny Orr. I wish he hadn't become so injury prone but he does talk to the players and I reckon being captain would improve his play as well as he dicted play more.

Will Millward come in and rock the boat by changing captain? I hope so. He isn't there to be Mr. popular but I am sure he can manage the situation of changing captain. In fact I reckon Rads might be relieved.

Then again it is Rads testimonial year and taking the captaincy away this year might not go down so well in some quarters (DW and ML !!).
My main concern is how much freedom Millward will be given to do as he pleases without the interference of doris.Millward is a class coach and should be allowed to do his job, but we all know how fiery he can be, and I can't see him putting up with doris getting involved with team affairs.
WE'LL SEE!
I can't see player recruitment ever being 100% Millwards responsibilty but I would be really fed up if ML or DW interfeared and said Millward couldn't take the captaincy away from Rads.

Dave
munchkin

Post by munchkin »

:D

All i can say is i cannot wait for wigan vs helens in the challenge cup and i hope that wigan will go into that match with something to prove and give it there all, i must say i was laughing this morning on the way to work listening to ian on radio one saying he was quite within his rights to sign st helens players whos contracts were up, i bet there was a bit of road rage in and around st helens. Best laugh i've had in ages. Just hope he's not all talk and actually does make a difference
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

DaveO posted:
I think the obvious candidate is Danny Orr. I wish he hadn't become so injury prone but he does talk to the players and I reckon being captain would improve his play as well as he dicted play more.

Dave
I'd agree with that. I don't think we can take "injury-proneness" into consideration; if we did that, given all the injuries we've had, the only remaining candidates would be Aspinwall, Wild and Godwin.