Re: Crusaders gone , Wigan grade A status

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Thanks HG, now my other question if they hadnt withdrew where the RFL going to kick Wakefield out? If that answer is yes then they still should have and allowed Fax the chance!

Im chuffed for Wakefield I really am but the principles of the RFL are looking very flawed indeed!

Maybe the franchise system needs looking into a bit better, I mean Richard Lewis' opening speech was pretty good and some of his reasonings as to how the choices where made where good 1 was very questionable, cant remember the name but a big building firm to look at stadia and plans for new stadia to give rfl advice on how good it is and the facilities it can offer "excellent" KPMG to look at every clubs last filed accounts and advise the rfl on how they look financially "excellent" Leeds Met Uni to look at how the clubs are run as businesses "what! Are you having a laugh, Lord Sugar, James Dyson, Richard Branson yes but Leeds Met Uni my god rfl what where you thinking!?"

Would it be fair to go back to a promo/relegate dogfight, maybe?!?

I think maybe a good way would be to have promo and relegation however 2 teams up 2 teams down every 3 years, it could work like this over the 3 terms all points are added together for the purposes of promo/relegation the 2 lowest teams of SL go down the 2 highest of co-op champ come up! That way teams still have a 3year building period rather than the 12month short sightedness, it would also ensure consistency because over 3years consistently low teams would go down and consistently high teams would come up!

What does everyone think?
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

29wes28 wrote:No no no, Crusaders where not kicked out they withdrew their application, the RFL need to find out and tell us why!

Also if they did not withdraw would Wakefield have gone because if so then Wakey should still have gone as the crieria still has to be met otherwise what is the point!

Chuffed for Wakey though and a bit gutted for Keith Senior bet he didnt see that coming and I bet he wouldnt have signed for them if he knew what he does now!
Senior will have signed a contract for Super League. That will now be torn up along with all the other players contracts!
south_stander

Post by south_stander »

It appears from Messrs Sammut and Flower on twitter that the Crusaders players had no idea the club were about to withdraw their application
mickh

Post by mickh »

Fair shout TwoEyed Warrior, thanks for the info.

I still think that Relegation-Promotion would improve the competitiveness of teams in that region of the tables per season.
I remember when Orrell were a decent team in their RU second division, beating teams in the first division, they were not allowed to come up because of some system in place.
Then again, Mr Whellen bought the set-up, supporters thought a saviour was in sight with money aplenty, sold the land for houses, the rest is history, where are Orrell now? We must not allow this stifling of our game to go the same way.
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

Looks like we can expect another bumper crowd for wakey's visit next year again. I counted 67 fans two weeks ago. So note to IL "no need to open north stand". It's quite sad that so few choose to travel when we have people coming from ireland north and south on a regular basis. Then again we are Wigan.
mickh

Post by mickh »

That is a good idea the Three year culmative points difference suggestion 29wes28, would maintain a competitive edge over seasons and continue enthusiasm
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

waterside glens wrote:Looks like we can expect another bumper crowd for wakey's visit next year again. I counted 67 fans two weeks ago. So note to IL "no need to open north stand". It's quite sad that so few choose to travel when we have people coming from ireland north and south on a regular basis. Then again we are Wigan.
Wakey's support may improve now that the threat of oblivion has been lifted!
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Commiserations to Stains on only getting a B. I'm sure we all wish them well for the re-sits! :lol:
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

HGWarrior wrote:Does anyone know what the actual requirements are for granting a super league license? I know there are 5 criteria but what is the detail behind the criteria? Particularly Facilities. I thought from the original applications that stadia had to have at least 80% or 90% seating. If this is the case how do Dire & Whinos get 'A' status???
Facilities

An a Grade club will have a stadium capacity of at least 12000, with at least 5000 seats under cover, and it has a minimum tenure at its stadium of at least 5 years.
That is how Leeds get away with it, but have you seen the seating in the North stand?? disgraceful, just like the old wooden seats in Saints seated stand.

At least Warrington have a good stadium with a mix of seating & standing & more importantly under cover!!!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Loving this tweet from John Wilkin. Presumably, English was never his forté?

“Surely the players would have been informed at crusaders?? lively hoods at risk. It was a floored business but I still want league in wales”