A new level? Milesesque?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

A new level? Milesesque?

Post by cpwigan »

Defensively when called upon Wigan have moved up a level this season BUT last night I thought the shackles have been released on attack. The willingness of the team to attack from deep, the inter passing, offloads reminded me of the Gene Miles era when we put 70 on the Bulls in a CC Semi and 50+ a week or two later at CP. Our attack is now at a different level and IMO the team have moved forwards and upwards from 2010.

The caveats, with expressive expansive rugby you can get mistakes and even teams like Bradford can score fluke tries by kicking and hoping.

lucky 13

Re: A new level? Milesesque?

Post by lucky 13 »

I was thinking we looked a bit blunt at times this season just doing enough. I thought the use of players in the build up on moves tonight, Hansen and Faz mostly was great to see. It seems like (or I hope) that Madge has held our cards close to his chest, we may now show our hand buisness end of season the moves to give Sam the ball are very well coached. Lockers was great the calls of his crap captaincy have gone quiet :eusa11: :D
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I have thought for a while that we ave moves galore for when we need them. We'll try something once in a game then put it back in the drawer for later. When we unleash them then we end up scoring 8 tries against the Wire. To an extent, a lot of the flair y have come from Finch not being there to structure everything by the book and various forwards wanting to earn their Wembley places, such as Hock and Prescott, thus throwing caution to the wind. It also strikes me as great way to avoid injury. Keep scoring and scoring.
Finally, a pet gripe about Miles. He was a world class player across his career, but had perhaps half a dozen godlike games for us, while others were more consistently good. At Wembley he was ok while Offiah was truly majestic.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Last night was the first time we overplayed this season unlike Wire who have shown their entire hand in every game. As PM said on another thread, it makes me wonder what Finch will add to next week's game!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Exiled, the reason for the comparison is that Miles changed the way wigan played and Monie coached. Monie like Madge and all great Australian coaches preached punishing defence, ball security, the usuals field position/possession etc. Miles saw Wigan and Monie abandon much of that with Miles often playing like a second stnd off (forerunner of todays FB?) and Wigan started running moves froim their own 20, from kick offs etc. Last night to me seemed that Madge and Wigan had started to change with some wonderful attacking, flowing moves from all areas.
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

We looked very good last night and played a great style of rugby, much the same as we have often played but last night we just looked very polished. I think since Maguire came we have been building and have gradually got better and better and I think last nights performance was a culmination of that.

However added to that there is no way of getting away from the fact that Bradford were awful. There is something seriously wrong there as they have some decent players and shouldnt be getting beaten in the way they have, not just last night but throughout the season.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Last nights game has shown how woeful Bradford Bulls are, and their defence was non existant.
As for a contest, it never was going to be one against a side with little or nothing to play for.
On the other foot it showed just how fast and fit the Wigan players are, and are very capable of going the full length of the pitch to score tries, both as a team, or as individuals.
IMO, Saturdays game will be a close physical match with Leeds trying to smother us like they always try to do.
Leeds are capable of raising their game in big matches, and it will take a good Wigan performance to beat them.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Dobby wrote:
However added to that there is no way of getting away from the fact that Bradford were awful. There is something seriously wrong there as they have some decent players and shouldnt be getting beaten in the way they have, not just last night but throughout the season.
Exactly my point. If Bradford hadn't scraped over for those 2 tries, I think the second half would have been same as the first. Maybe 18-12 was a bit too close for comfort and Madge decided to raise the game. Even so, I doubt 42-0 was intended!
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

You can only beat what's put in front of you! Some of the attacking moves in the second half on Friday were a joy to watch & who's to say that some of those wouldn't have come off against a dire or stains?
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

warrior49 wrote:I am sick and tired of reading comments of how bad the other teams have played when we trash them....we was very good, a class above them...THAT'S WHY WE ARE CHAMPIONS!!!!
My biggest gripe is with Stains fans undermining our victories with their constant moaning about injuries and how they'd have won the GF had Pryce and Eastmond been fit. Since Madge got here, they have scraped one win out of God knows how many games!