Hoff on Lockers

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
gpartin

Re: Hoff on Lockers

Post by gpartin »

This thread I came across yesterday is a good read CP, Josie...

http://www.wiganwarriorsfans.com/wigan/ ... c&o=443497
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

gpartin

Post by gpartin »

For what it's worth I think lockers is a great player and a great captain however I still think he was made captain too early in his career and as someone said on the thread I just posted there were times in the past including the Noble years when he looked like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders. Now we are playing as a team and stuff Lockers is an inspirational leader who can rally the troops when we get behind. However there were times previously when his head used to go down like most of the rest of the team, when as DaveO points out, with a vocal captain we could have stepped up a gear and ended up winning the game rather than rolling over and accepting defeat. I don't think any humble pie is needed at all, across the board our players have improved and Lockers is no exception.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

Quiet unassuming man who does not need to rant and rave to earn the respect of the other players.Because it's as the Hoff quite rightly states he is a cracking player and a cracking captain.Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to see Lockers lift the cup on Saturday.And down the doom and gloom mongers. :D
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Trent Barrett was another Aussie test player who rated Lockers very highly.

He was wanted in the NRL years ago, but as previously said, he is Wigan through & through, & decided to stay to his home town club.

He has been loyal through thick & thin. He took the brunt of all the stick for the lean years when we were doing nothing.

And has come through it all a better player & stronger person.

My hero, my personal Man of Steel :)

:)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I think a lot of fans always misunderstood what captaincy was and is. If ranting and raving was everything then Alex Murphy would have been the all time greatest coach. Faz was demonstrative but captaincy is so much more than that.

Captaincy is leading by example on and off the field, treating every plater in your team/squad like an equal and looking after them both on and off the field. Leading byu example on the pitch is doing the ugly unheralded, unselfish often unseen nitty gritty hitting the ball up on a poor set, a slow POTB, filling gaps and making tackles etc etc.

Forget Sam T (great player BTW), Lockers is our best player by a country mile.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

cpwigan wrote:I think a lot of fans always misunderstood what captaincy was and is. If ranting and raving was everything then Alex Murphy would have been the all time greatest coach. Faz was demonstrative but captaincy is so much more than that.

Captaincy is leading by example on and off the field, treating every plater in your team/squad like an equal and looking after them both on and off the field. Leading byu example on the pitch is doing the ugly unheralded, unselfish often unseen nitty gritty hitting the ball up on a poor set, a slow POTB, filling gaps and making tackles etc etc.

Forget Sam T (great player BTW), Lockers is our best player by a country mile.
Well said cp :) Yes we need players like Sam, our showmen & entertainers. But the important ones are the ones who do the hard graft, with little or no mention. Coley, "H", Pat & George are some of the others who deserve a lot of praise as well.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I could have named the whole team. As they keep saying, there is no "I" in team. And that is what it is a "Team" of great players complimenting each other :)

Good Luck lads :eusa2: :eusa2:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Something that blew me away recently was the Lockers pass that sent Hoff strolling in almost untouched for a try.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

josie andrews wrote:I could have named the whole team. As they keep saying, there is no "I" in team. And that is what it is a "Team" of great players complimenting each other :)

Good Luck lads :eusa2: :eusa2:
There are 5 "i"s in Individualistic :)
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

cherry.pie wrote:Against Bradford Lockers showed that he is probably the best passer in Super League. Finch gets praised for his passing because he's been superb this season but I think O'Loughlin is a better passer. He can throw out short passes as good as anyone and his long passing is fantastic. He's currently the best British player.
:eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2: