JOEL TOMKINS' SWITCH PAYS OFF

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

JOEL TOMKINS' SWITCH PAYS OFF

Post by josie andrews »

WHILE his brother Sam garners the headlines, Joel Tomkins has been quietly making a success of a switch of roles.

Wigan coach Michael Maguire came up trumps when he moved Sam from half-back to full-back last season. And his decision to pull Joel Tomkins out of the second row and into the centre when Martin Gleeson left the clubhas also paid off.

“It has been a transitional year for me. They may be only 10 metres away on the field but they are completely different positions,” said Joel. “It hasn’t been easy but I’m getting more comfortable in the role now.”

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/267 ... -pays-off?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Dobby

Re: JOEL TOMKINS' SWITCH PAYS OFF

Post by Dobby »

I dont know about it paying off as I think Goulding has done a far better job whenever he has played there and has looked far more threatening. I have seen absolutely no improvement in Tomkins at centre and he just lacks the basic skills to be a good centre, and shows no sign of getting them. Back to second row next season for me when Hoffman goes.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Dobby wrote:I dont know about it paying off as I think Goulding has done a far better job whenever he has played there and has looked far more threatening. I have seen absolutely no improvement in Tomkins at centre and he just lacks the basic skills to be a good centre, and shows no sign of getting them. Back to second row next season for me when Hoffman goes.
Seconded
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Dobby wrote:I dont know about it paying off as I think Goulding has done a far better job whenever he has played there and has looked far more threatening. I have seen absolutely no improvement in Tomkins at centre and he just lacks the basic skills to be a good centre, and shows no sign of getting them. Back to second row next season for me when Hoffman goes.
Odd how peoples' perceptions are so different. I think he's improved massively since his switch, in both attack and defence, and will keep improving the longer he plays there.
Wes

Post by Wes »

I think hes improved massively to and would be very happy to see him stay there.

People rate Goulding and rightly so but a few weeks ago when he played for George he let about 3 tries in and probably if he played regular would be our weak link and people on here would be on his back.

I used to want Charnley at centre but after seeing him settle at wing I now believe that wing is his most potent position.

Out of interest how many tries has Charnley scored outside Joel in both of their 1st season together out of position?

Lastly why isnt Goulding playing in the centres now instead of Joel?
jobo

Post by jobo »

ian.birchall wrote:
Seconded
Thirded
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

He has the pace, but not the ball handling skills of a centre.
Of all the positions at the club, I would say replacing Joel at centre is about the only thing we urgently need to look at.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

cherry.pie wrote:I'd disagree with that Exile, Joel is one of the best ball handlers in the side. He's demonstrated that enough times when playing in the back row, it's just a question of learning how to use his skills as a centre.
Joel and Josh will be a better partnership when Josh learns to stick to defending his wing. H makes a difference on that right flank.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I think Joel will eventually be a world class centre. It is completely different than second row, &, it takes years to perfect. Give the guy a break, he's only been doing it for a few months :exc:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wes

Post by Wes »

josie andrews wrote:I think Joel will eventually be a world class centre. It is completely different than second row, &, it takes years to perfect. Give the guy a break, he's only been doing it for a few months :exc:
:eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2:

Completely agree Josie, in fact I think he is a good start to competing with the aussies and kiwis in the centres, his speed strength and size are formiddable and bit by bit he is getting more guile!

To answer my own question the reason Goulding isnt playing in the centres instead of Joel is because he isnt as good!