Wigan discipline Sam

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
onedego

Re: Wigan discipline Sam

Post by onedego »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:Give noble his due he said it's not the brightest thing to do but he just needs to be spoken to and a wrap on the knuckles given

But this is turning into a witch hunt
Frankly, i don't think the Leeds fans give a stuff. It's Dire & Stains kicking off.
Porksville

Post by Porksville »

Although I can't condone Sam for his actions, I just wish there was a hand sign for sheep sh**gin ba**ards Nothing but a dirty set of cheating, whinging gets and they deserve nothing better.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Wigan are professional. Lenagan given him a talking to, disciplined and its on paper/file, fined... thats it.

tbh Saints fans wanted Wigan to win yesterday, as do their players - they detest Leeds... remember the naitonal team more or less half saints half leeds few years ago... they didnt mingle.

I'd pick St Helens over Leeds :craz:
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote:I hope behind the scenes IL is showing some guts and standing up for Wigan and Sam. If Cas were fined for their fans behaviour then why not Leeds?
Spot on. Given Wigan have done the "right thing" then it is an opportune time for Leeds to do the same because if they don't them their fans will think it is open season on any player but especially Sam.

I have made the exact same point on rlfans before reading your post on here.

At the homecoming I am sure the incident was made into a bit of joke in the interviews so I hope that IL has explained to Sam all this has to be done for the sake of proper PR, not to do it again because he does need to rise above it but that ultimately he is on Sam's side.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Exactly Dave, I am pretty sure IL has taken the decision to negate any possible RFL witch hunt. I think the wording of the statement could have been better personally and included reference to the behaviour of Leeds fans.
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

This one is tough.

The Leeds fans were just booing a Wigan player and if they want to do that while Leeds play Wigan, fair play to them. It's not like the homophobic abuse directed at Gareth Thomas by Cas fans or even the very personal and specific abuse Andy Farrell used to get week-in week-out. IMO it's very different when ST is in a England shirt, but goes with the terrority at club level.

I remember last season when Wire played, Richie Myler, flipped the middle finger when he scored a try, that was similarly obvious on Sky. I complained about it repeatedly to the RFL and didn't get an acknowledgement for any e-mails. I suspect the RFL don't have an appetite for dealing with this sort of thing. That said becuase it was on BBC and widely reported, I think in a couple of weeks the RFL will tell him off, slap his wrist becuase it was a big showpiece event and fine him.

Wes

Post by Wes »

I think its a case of IL commenting and taking ation on what he can control which is his club and Sam, if Heatherington had any balls he would do the same for his team and issue a statement of disgust regarding his fans but I doubt he will but to the people in the know it just shows IL being an honest pro and GH having no backbone.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:Both clubs and especially there respective chairmen need to be calming everybody down or this could spill over into something more nasty on the terraces.
Totally agree with your comment. Something needs to be sorted out & fast.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

If you fine the clubs when fans misbehave I assure you bad behaviour will be erradicated in a matter of weeks with far more draconian but proper stewarding.
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Agree with the comment about the chairmen needing to sort something out especially with Leeds fans! My dad was telling me the other day he was at Headingley and someone said to him 'if Shaun Edwards does that again I'll punch you in the nose' how random haha
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."