SL or NRL Play-off Format?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wiganwarrior1

Re: SL or NRL Play-off Format?

Post by Wiganwarrior1 »

Here here!! :eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2:
yoda warrior

Post by yoda warrior »

The thing i like best about the 8 is that we have 2 semi finals on a weekend. With the 5 or 6 system you don't have that. Also, with 5 or 6, you have the possibilty that the top team may only play 2 games in a month which i don't particularly like.

The only problem i have with the current system is a team finishing in the bottom half getting in, although this year, for the first time, i think all 8 are capable of making an impact. Some of the lower teams have been the form teams. I think it's going to be a good series.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

yoda warrior wrote:The thing i like best about the 8 is that we have 2 semi finals on a weekend.
Why is that so important?

In the top 5 system you get two games on the first weekend and two games on the second. With eash at least one game is a crunch tie either sudden death or a game that gets you to the final.
With the 5 or 6 system you don't have that. Also, with 5 or 6, you have the possibilty that the top team may only play 2 games in a month which i don't particularly like.
So what if the top team only plays twice in a month? That is their reward for finishing top and means they are harder to beat.

The top five system makes finishing higher in the league far more important so enhances the league season. There is a greater intensive to finish higher.

In the top 8 system finish in the top 4 and no one goes out on week 1. There is no great difference if you finish 1st or 4th. If you lose you play next week. If you win you get a week off. It should just not be possible for 4th to get a week off at all.
The only problem i have with the current system is a team finishing in the bottom half getting in, although this year, for the first time, i think all 8 are capable of making an impact. Some of the lower teams have been the form teams. I think it's going to be a good series.
The current has numerous problems. Not only can you qualify as HKR did by losing 13 games the system also means some combinations of fixtures are impossible. As I said there is no great difference if you finish 1st or 4th and for that matter nor is there for the bottom 4 play-off teams as it is sudden death for 5th as it is for 8th.

It shouldn't be about how many games are on a weekend but finding the best side who qualified for the play-offs and our top 8 system does not do it.

It's a triumph or marketing over substance and as has been mentioned it just rips the fans of the lower teams off. Why? Because HKR for example have no chance of winning it. None. So far better to limit the playoffs to teams who have.
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

It is widely acknowledged that players play too many games.
Why not do away with the Magic fiasco and just have a league.
One home game, one away game, whoever has most points at the end of the season is CHAMPION. Seems easy to me.
Players get more rest, international squad get longer together, we have a tiny chance aganst the antipodeans.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
yoda warrior

Post by yoda warrior »

DaveO wrote:
yoda warrior wrote:The thing i like best about the 8 is that we have 2 semi finals on a weekend.
Why is that so important?

In the top 5 system you get two games on the first weekend and two games on the second. With eash at least one game is a crunch tie either sudden death or a game that gets you to the final.
With the 5 or 6 system you don't have that. Also, with 5 or 6, you have the possibilty that the top team may only play 2 games in a month which i don't particularly like.
So what if the top team only plays twice in a month? That is their reward for finishing top and means they are harder to beat.

The top five system makes finishing higher in the league far more important so enhances the league season. There is a greater intensive to finish higher.

In the top 8 system finish in the top 4 and no one goes out on week 1. There is no great difference if you finish 1st or 4th. If you lose you play next week. If you win you get a week off. It should just not be possible for 4th to get a week off at all.
The current has numerous problems. Not only can you qualify as HKR did by losing 13 games the system also means some combinations of fixtures are impossible. As I said there is no great difference if you finish 1st or 4th and for that matter nor is there for the bottom 4 play-off teams as it is sudden death for 5th as it is for 8th.

It shouldn't be about how many games are on a weekend but finding the best side who qualified for the play-offs and our top 8 system does not do it.

It's a triumph or marketing over substance and as has been mentioned it just rips the fans of the lower teams off. Why? Because HKR for example have no chance of winning it. None. So far better to limit the playoffs to teams who have.
It's not SOOO important to have the two semi finals, it just adds a bit of interest and i prefer it to the old system.

I don't think playing only 1 game in 3 weeks in the lead up to a grand final is particularly an advantage.

With respect to 4th place possibly getting a week off, this is one of the reasons our system is better than the NRL's. With their system it's possible that teams 3 and 4 can be eliminated in week 1 and 5 and 6 can get a week off.

Neither of the top 8 systems are perfect. I would prefer 6 teams, with a system that would give the two semi finals. Don't know how it would work but it must be possible.
Sue d'Nym

Post by Sue d'Nym »

One home game, one away game, whoever has most points at the end of the season is CHAMPION. Seems easy to me.
Far, far too sensible and straightforward.
eccywarrior

Post by eccywarrior »

should go back to old days when you win league you are champions and not stupid league leaders shield where you dont gain as a team as players dont get not nothing. this is one of reasons why the sport gets laughed at and not taken seriously.
top 4 or 5 from sl and nrl should compete in world club challenge and should be played in nov and 4 nations should be scrapped and go back to tours.
IN WANE WE TRUST
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

eccywarrior wrote:should go back to old days when you win league you are champions and not stupid league leaders shield where you dont gain as a team as players dont get not nothing. this is one of reasons why the sport gets laughed at and not taken seriously.
top 4 or 5 from sl and nrl should compete in world club challenge and should be played in nov and 4 nations should be scrapped and go back to tours.
Football has its play-off's which decide promotion to the Premier League and all the money that's involved with that, plus all the other Divisions are the same.

Rugby Union has copied us & they too have their Play-off's to decide the champions.

Not too mention the NRL whose Play-off's are massive National events & result in the Grand Final, whose winners take on our winners also, as in St. George for the World Club.

If you look around the sporting globe a very large percent decide their fate on the back of various play-off systems. It's what the media want, it makes the Final game the most important one, and the fans want it too - judging by the ever increasing poularity of the Grand Final. Attendances have gone thru' the roof & that means a more cash coming to the game, vital for continuing development at all levels of our sport.

The only aspect that need looking at, is the actual format of our system, compared to say others such as the NRL.

I do like the look of an extended World Club,if it could be fitted in, and provided all our S/L teams could be competitive enough.

Not sure about kicking out the 4-Nations, though - we need International Competitions to keep our sport in the public's eye & to gauge our improvement against the Kiwis/Aussies, irrespective of the fact they have held the upper hand. We do need regular events to keep up to pace with these Countries, otherwise we'd just lose it completely if we take our eye off the radar.

The whole thing just needs putting together into a workable formula for the benefit of the fans & the players.
Alex the Warrior

Post by Alex the Warrior »

Sue d'Nym wrote:
Far, far too sensible and straightforward.

Certainly do away with the Millenium weekend. Grossly unfair to play one team three times and the empty stands embarrass the game.

With reference to the play offs, what is today's game really about? It will in all probability just decide who plays at home when we play the same opposition in two weeks time. Playing the same team twice in an elimination process can't be right. Change them.
From Mission Impossible (1991) to The Great Escape (2006)