Re: Who??

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

It really affected Joel with the treatment meted out to Sam by the Leeds people (can't call them fans) whilst playing for England.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

God wrote:Well i got the massive impression Joel had grown far too big for his boots in recent weeks.

Maybe this effected Sams peformance as well as an obvious injury, who knows. But life goes on, there will be more pressure on Hock to keep his head and peform, show us the faith given to him by the club by paying it back in droves.

I will await the announcement tomorrow.

Agreed on Hock he has to perform next season. The most frustraiting player in any sport i have ever seen.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

josie andrews wrote:It really affected Joel with the treatment meted out to Sam by the Leeds people (can't call them fans) whilst playing for England.
If he uses that excuse to justify leaving I will think even less than I would simply because he reneged on his contract.

It is no reason at all. His brother has got plenty of support off other fans but lets face it he didn't exactly do himself any favours with the fingers.

If he has the cheek to say he is leaving for anything other than the money he will be a liar.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

DaveO wrote:
josie andrews wrote:It really affected Joel with the treatment meted out to Sam by the Leeds people (can't call them fans) whilst playing for England.
If he uses that excuse to justify leaving I will think even less than I would simply because he reneged on his contract.

It is no reason at all. His brother has got plenty of support off other fans but lets face it he didn't exactly do himself any favours with the fingers.

If he has the cheek to say he is leaving for anything other than the money he will be a liar.
Dave I'm not saying that, God commented on how Sam's performance was affected.

I was just stating how it upset Joel the way his younger brother was treated. He will be leaving for the money, there is no doubting that. If, as you have said previously, he'd have seen out his contract then left fair dos, but not after pledging his immediate future to Wigan earlier in the year.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

It might not be a bad thing to split them up. Joel is a hothead and was ever a liability of being carded when Sam got the treatment. It was unnecessary, Sam can look after himself. He's won us far more penalties than he's conceded!
emperorkel

Post by emperorkel »

Just a thought, maybe Joel has looked at who is leaving and who is coming in and thought sod that after working so hard I am not taking three steps backwards and starting all over again. He may also have looked at Coley and how his knees are shot to pieces and thought if I am going to look forward to a life of constant pain I might as well earn some money and make things a bit more comfortable.
Many of us say if I played for Wigan I would never leave but this is because the chances of us ever doing it are remote, a supporters passion for a club always far outweighs the passion of a player because it is a players job and they cant afford to be so romantic about it.
TonyH

Post by TonyH »

emperorkel wrote:Just a thought, maybe Joel has looked at who is leaving and who is coming in and thought sod that after working so hard I am not taking three steps backwards and starting all over again. He may also have looked at Coley and how his knees are shot to pieces and thought if I am going to look forward to a life of constant pain I might as well earn some money and make things a bit more comfortable.Many of us say if I played for Wigan I would never leave but this is because the chances of us ever doing it are remote, a supporters passion for a club always far outweighs the passion of a player because it is a players job and they cant afford to be so romantic about it.
First bit - The only thing painful about rah rah is getting your hands cold, but that's even less likely with pockets in their shorts.

Second bit - Tell that to Kris Radlinski, or Adrian Lam.

Up The Mont!
emperorkel

Post by emperorkel »

Tonyh

First bit – as I understand it you serve or have served in our armed forces and you have my utmost admiration and respect but you are in a minority in that in every other walk of life if any of us could be paid three or four times what we currently get for a cushier life we would jump at the chance. All I am saying is the financial reward for Joel is substantial but may not be the only reason he is getting out.
Second bit – there are always exceptions, Rads is a great bloke and he would be even if he never played for Wigan he is just a great bloke. But he was well paid at Wigan and had his salary increased far beyond even what he expected just read his book. Adrian Lam was not here long enough and at the end was not treated that well by the club. Shaun Wane is one of the most passionate people you could ever meet when he talks about Wigan but if reports are to be believed he was not going to let his passion be used as an excuse not to pay him what he was worth as Head Coach, unfortunately that passion and desire to be Head Coach may be clouding his judgement with regard to the dross he could be welcoming to his squad for next season
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

emperorkel wrote:Tonyh

First bit – as I understand it you serve or have served in our armed forces and you have my utmost admiration and respect but you are in a minority in that in every other walk of life if any of us could be paid three or four times what we currently get for a cushier life we would jump at the chance. All I am saying is the financial reward for Joel is substantial but may not be the only reason he is getting out.
All the other reasons put forward are no reasons to leave. They all go with the territory of being a pro sportsman.

I don't even think he will go for the chance to play International RU either.

All the usual glib sound-bites as to why a player leaves do not apply to Joel. Why? Because I actually believe he was being honest back in March when he said that Union was not for him.

I think his head has been turned for one reason only, money.

For that reason and given he is contracted to Wigan for another four years and given what he said in March I won't think much of him at all if he goes.
TonyH

Post by TonyH »

I think the whole panic everyone seems to be having is the fact that we haven't signed any big names. Hoffman, Lima and Finch were big name signings last year and we are expecting more of the same this year but imo it won't happen.

Was Joel Tomkins a big signing? No, he was a youngster coming through the Wigan set up and look at the fuss that's being made because he is leaving, Sam and Joel both came through our academy and the two of them are two of the best players in Super League so more often than not it's not about big name signings that already have a reputation it's about bringing kids through and sticking with them.

Hell Saints have done it and although they haven't had a win in the GF for a few years they still get there don't they.

I don't know what's going on behind the scenes at Wigan, no one does, however much they claim to. If it's not all rosey due to money then that could spell big problems. However, the fact that I train and try to do as much as I can to be like a Super League player when I do not get paid and I have been like this for years and years means that it can be done by people but I guess it is the mentality of the person actually pulling on the shirt.
Up The Mont!