Joel to Union

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
cpwigan

Re: Joel to Union

Post by cpwigan »

stegy wrote:Well well Joel should not leave ? well i'm sure he reads the posts on here and for him to be slagged off in such a poor way after the saints game, and more or less blamed single handedley for us not getting to the Grand finale. If i was Joel i would take the mega bucks and leave for a game were fans respect players even if the players don't have any respect as seen in the world cup. I will say all the best Joel thanks for all you have done for Wigan RL don't forget your routes would love to see you back some day.
Perhaps meetings were already taking place prior to and soon after Saints (a game that he was poor in do you not agree? ) If you think RL fans are fickle then imagine what Union fans are like. Let me speculate Joel will not be the slightest bit concerned at Union abuse as he never was in League. Renders your post / points pointless :wink:
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Union has fans at club level?

I suppose Joel will change his accent and go all southern now. I couldn't do that... I'd have to marry a man if that happened to me :doz:
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

ancientnloyal wrote: We should command a nice sum of money from Joel and more for Sam just think what this can do for the club itself off the field... player development etc...
Yes we can set up a nice production line with the money (though I thought we already had one of the best).

For Rugby Union.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Fujiman wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Fujiman wrote:you say no evidence of a plan b. IL has just come back from Aus. He may have been signing up Joels replacement :cool: :o
Like I said, there is no evidence of a plan b.
And there's no evidence there isn't.
But the burden of proof lies with you not me. Any argument that tries to say something can be true because it is not demonstrably false is shot to bits unless you can provide some kind of evidence to back up your position. The argument of ignorance as it is called if often used when someone has no real reason to believe what they say is true.

ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

DaveO wrote:
ancientnloyal wrote: We should command a nice sum of money from Joel and more for Sam just think what this can do for the club itself off the field... player development etc...
Yes we can set up a nice production line with the money (though I thought we already had one of the best).

For Rugby Union.
We have perhaps the best production line but still 'extra' money on top of a profit (getting to wembley you'd think) puts us in a great position off the field. Dont spend on stadium, decent kit supplier, have security for a number of year locally at least. Until Old Etonians need a replacement for Flood or Wilkinson as you say
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

DaveO wrote:
Fujiman wrote:
DaveO wrote: Like I said, there is no evidence of a plan b.
And there's no evidence there isn't.
But the burden of proof lies with you not me. Any argument that tries to say something can be true because it is not demonstrably false is shot to bits unless you can provide some kind of evidence to back up your position. The argument of ignorance as it is called if often used when someone has no real reason to believe what they say is true.

I dont have to prove anything its you saying theres no plan B. Anyway I said IL has just come back from Oz so he may have been there formulating a plan b but just like you and everyone else i don't know and am just pissing in the wind :blush:
shawcross da warrior

Post by shawcross da warrior »

I agree with ancientnloyal in some ways, if the player wants to go and doesnt see himself playing for the club after union come sniffing round let them go. Dont let them rot in the reserves for a year 6 months whatever. But i dont agree with the way rugby league is lying down, bowing down even to rugby union and allowing them to take there pic of our best crop. As far as sam going the rfl need to assist wigan to keep him hes a one in a decade player you cant just find players like that every season or 2. DONT SELL SAM!!!
Welski

Post by Welski »

butt monkey wrote:
100% Warrior wrote:I can't see how Mr L can win in this situation, all he can do is attempt to negotiate the best deal for Wigan RLFC if Joel is determined to leave which after his request to be omitted from the England squad now appears more likely.

At the end of the day it's a short career and you don't really blame a player for trying to make the most of it. It's difficult for us as we believe that players should be 100% loyal to the club.

Reality is that money talks plus in union there's an added bonus that you don't get a mindless minority booing you as you play for your country just because you're contracted to a particular club.

RL is way behind RU on the international scene, until that gets fixed I sadly think that we'll continue to see this happening.
You can spout any rubbish you want about him wanting to be on an "international stage" after he has made himself unavailable for England. HOWEVER, the bottom line is money! I cannot argue for one second about short careers and making the best for his family etc etc, so answer me this one question. If he was not happy with what he signed last season, why did he sign it?

This is NOT like simply changing jobs for better remuneration as you or I would do. This is about professional sport and the contracts that go hand-in-hand with it. A player cannot simply decide he wants more money elsewhere and ignore what he has already agreed (and is legally binding)
Rugby League down south is non existant as a sport as far as the general media (and therefore) much of the public is concerned. I would wager most people down here dont know England are about to play some RL internationals. Compare this with the coverage the England RU boys have recevied (most of it negative admittedly) and you can see why people are saying the lure of international RU for a young lad could well be a reason. You would be hard pressed to find anyone round my way who's heard of Sam let alone Joel Tomkins but even my 80 year old mum knows about good old Manu T.

On the wages front (which is probably the main reason imo) I would also say that in signing JT on a 5 year contract the club has invested in an asset. If the player is then approached (illegally or otherwise) and asks to be released from the contract then it is up to the club to decide if the financial offer is sufficent compensation. If they do not agree the player remains contracted to Wigan if they do he leaves. Simples.

Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
Lifetimer

Post by Lifetimer »

Has anyone had any conformation that Joel is about to leave/sign for the dark side.
Speculation often fuels the flames & theirs nowt more fickle than folk.
Jamie Peacock is not the Ugliest Man in the World

But He Looks Like Him
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Lifetimer wrote:Has anyone had any conformation that Joel is about to leave/sign for the dark side.
Speculation often fuels the flames & theirs nowt more fickle than folk.
JT has asked not to be in the England side for the 4 nations that more like launching a nuke than fueling the flames.