Union Players

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
DaveO

Re: Union Players

Post by DaveO »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:I am told that there is a proposal, being discussed by the RFL, that will allow clubs to sign a Union player and for that player to be exempt from the salary cap.
Here's an idea. Why don't the RFL simply make one of a clubs existing players excempt form the cap provided he came through their academy?

Instead of trying to score points v the RFU by nicking the odd player this would go some way to keeping the talent we produce in our game.

In any case any player we nick off them won't be as good as any they nick off us will they? Otherwise RU would have these players on a top contract already which we could not match.

Welski

Post by Welski »

League players to Union ...Union to League, why dont they just come up with 'united' game of 14 a side.

Seriously though I get very frustrated at the lack of ground the RFL has made in this country. I thought with the involvement of Sky and the switch to summer the game would take off in the public's imagination. (at least it would spread from the established heartlands.)

Its like watching the failed attempt to get American Football going in this country back in the 80's.

Its a great version of the game but there is just no one to promote it. Pub pastimes like Darts and Snooker have a higher profile. Theres an idea get Barry Hearn involved!

Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:My understanding is, and this is down to the SL agreeing to implement changes, that each club can sign a RU player. In year one the players salary will be exempt from the cap and in year two only 50% will count.
The salary figures are correct , however the proposal extends slightly further in that it applies to players signed from any sport outside of RL. Where these players will come from besides Rugby Union I'm not sure.
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Shaun1967 wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:My understanding is, and this is down to the SL agreeing to implement changes, that each club can sign a RU player. In year one the players salary will be exempt from the cap and in year two only 50% will count.
The salary figures are correct , however the proposal extends slightly further in that it applies to players signed from any sport outside of RL. Where these players will come from besides Rugby Union I'm not sure.
Interesting i ilke the proposal but think it should be 100% off the cap for 3 years if its to be done seriously. For other sports find this interesting but can not see many sports where a player could be suited for RL apart from RU.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

DaveO wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:I am told that there is a proposal, being discussed by the RFL, that will allow clubs to sign a Union player and for that player to be exempt from the salary cap.
Here's an idea. Why don't the RFL simply make one of a clubs existing players excempt form the cap provided he came through their academy?

Instead of trying to score points v the RFU by nicking the odd player this would go some way to keeping the talent we produce in our game.

In any case any player we nick off them won't be as good as any they nick off us will they? Otherwise RU would have these players on a top contract already which we could not match.

Spot on DaveO.
100% Warrior

Post by 100% Warrior »

Silly idea if you ask me.

For example, we sign player X from a union team who has never played league before, he could stroll into the club on twice the wage of somebody such as Lockers who has given his all for the club for the last 10 years just because he doesn't count on the cap.

Such a rule would more than likely drive more league players to union than lure many union players to league, plus it's highly unlikely we'd still entice the leading union stars.

I think to ease the constraints of the cap it's about time the RFL rewarded teams who actively promote youngsters from their academy system rather than sign cheap imports. As well as Super League clubs benefiting in the long run the national team would benefit as it would provide a larger pool of players to select from.
Dicknterry

Post by Dicknterry »

My preference would be to invest in the youth regardless of the risk of the RU poachers.
Players who have done ten years for one club could be exempt.
All academy players after 5 years at the club (21-22years of age) should only have 70% of their wages counted on the cap so £140K = £200K.

The key to any of the new rules is they maintain the fundamental rule whereby you can only spend 50% of your income on wages but this would include the full value of all wages. The league must be sustainable!

"A closed mouth gathers no foot"
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

DaveO wrote:

Your idea is ok Dave, but that is not what they are discussing.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote: Your idea is ok Dave, but that is not what they are discussing.
I know. I posted my idea and comments as a criticism of theirs, wasn't that obvious? If I didn't make it clear I think they are barking up the wrong tree.

100% Warrior is spot on in my opinion in that all this will see is un-proven 2nd string RU players paid higher wages than our home grown talent just because the RU players do not count on the cap.

Our sport has proven itself very short sighted in the past when it comes to players such as when some teams became obsessed with Kolpak players when there was no restriction on signing them with Chris Caisley of Bradford even threatening legal action so he could keep signing these ready-made overseas players. The RL sides will all go after their RU salary cap free player just because they can.

If there is any relaxation in the salary cap like this don't you find it very ironic the beneficiary would be a Rugby Union player?
highland convert

Post by highland convert »

Rugby league is calling out for props and those with the size and fitness levels are snapped up by union. Wire win on the likes of morley, carvel and westwood. Who have we got of that ilk. We need bulk and athleticicm. So do most rl clubs. Union is where they are at. When you look at men mountains like Feka and then find he is small to middling as a prop in union you get the picture. Crabtree type props with a bit of grunt. Look at Ashton now compared to what we let go. Centres we have, halves we have and they control our game. No instant impact from there. But props are a different breed and they are worth persuing. Yes we should be allowed to buy them in but not at the expense of what we already have.
You cannot hold back the lions to give the Christians a chance. The fans want gladiators who are all they can be. The team is only as strong as its weakest players, NRL have realised the problem and upped the cap so better teams can be put together why cant we?? Jim