New Signings And The Future

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
thomo

Re: New Signings And The Future

Post by thomo »

and I forgot to mention the savings from Deacon and O'Carroll
Robswarriors

Post by Robswarriors »

We will sign some players without doubt to add some strength in depth but I still think we will sign one big player which will be a half back
southernpie

Post by southernpie »

thomo wrote:and where has also the salary cap money gone?
Fielden was on the cap all of last year - coleys money has gone where?
Roberts was on the cap all last year
Did Hock not count/part count on the cap last year so where has Hoffman's money gone
Did we ever spend the saving from gleeson's salary
what about Joel's potential savings
Some of the cap will be going to increased salaries ie Charnley, Mossop and Prescot, perhaps Sam, then there are the youngsters to come through like Mellor and Logan Tomkins
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#
Robswarriors

Post by Robswarriors »

We need a half back that should be the main issue without doubt!! Or is every1 forgetting we have no scrum half!
southernpie

Post by southernpie »

Fingers crossed Mellor does a Lomax/Gaskell. I would have preferred that he had been given some game time this last season against some of the lesser teams.
Ideally we will get a half back and especially a centre, we need to be looking forward to 2013 when we will also lose George
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

Robswarriors

Post by Robswarriors »

It will be the same old story if we put a inexperienced half back straight in, we need to spend the cash and get a quality replacement in got deacon otherwise we will struggle, the only reason lomax and Gaskell got into the team was because of injuries to pryce and eastmond. We do need a centre but I would blood a youngster because we still have a full year of carmont left and stefan marsh is not good enough
southernpie

Post by southernpie »

Robswarriors wrote:It will be the same old story if we put a inexperienced half back straight in, we need to spend the cash and get a quality replacement in got deacon otherwise we will struggle, the only reason lomax and Gaskell got into the team was because of injuries to pryce and eastmond. We do need a centre but I would blood a youngster because we still have a full year of carmont left and stefan marsh is not good enough
Yes but they proved more than good enough, IF Waney is going to rely on Mellor, then there is no one with more knowledge of the lad and whether he is good enough, we will have to wait and see. Personally I would prefer to see a recognized half back signed for a season and Mellor given a chance to show what he can do at Super League level against some of the lesser teams and brought on to be the number one half back in 2013.

I think the only position we will struggle with is centre, like you I don't think Marsh is good enough, the jury is out on Goulding, how long was he carrying the injury that led to his end of season operation, can Roberts recapture the form of 2010 (pre injury), Charnley showed up well at centre at HKR, all this begs the question if they are good enough, why was Joel played there all season post Gleeson.

missyme65

Post by missyme65 »

listening to phil kinsella dudson and flowers are certs as is the thug from over the hill(boarding with tommy till he gets his house keys)is what was said.
softy southerner finds the holy grail...
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

missyme65 wrote:listening to phil kinsella dudson and flowers are certs as is the thug from over the hill(boarding with tommy till he gets his house keys)is what was said.

Lauaki is from Hull FC & it was Jack Deaden not Phil Kinsella, who wasn't there last night.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

southernpie wrote:
Robswarriors wrote:It will be the same old story if we put a inexperienced half back straight in, we need to spend the cash and get a quality replacement in got deacon otherwise we will struggle, the only reason lomax and Gaskell got into the team was because of injuries to pryce and eastmond. We do need a centre but I would blood a youngster because we still have a full year of carmont left and stefan marsh is not good enough
Yes but they proved more than good enough,
I think people forget Lomax not chucked in at the deep end on the back of zero SL experience. Lomax played 7 SL games in 2009, 14 in 2010 and 24 last season. A gradual introduction.

Gaskell is more in at the deep end with 3 appearances on 2010 and 22 in 2011.

Going from 0 to 27 is too much to ask.
IF Waney is going to rely on Mellor, then there is no one with more knowledge of the lad and whether he is good enough, we will have to wait and see. Personally I would prefer to see a recognized half back signed for a season and Mellor given a chance to show what he can do at Super League level against some of the lesser teams and brought on to be the number one half back in 2013.
If Roberts is fit and can play full back then Sam could go back to 6 and on occasion move back to 1 to give the young half backs a go against the lesser sides. No need to sign anyone.