Why not just increase the cap

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Why not just increase the cap

Post by cpwigan »

Wigan chairman Ian Lenagan has revealed the club have taken advantage of amendments to the league’s salary cap to help keep Tomkins in the game.

The Rugby Football League are sticking with a £1.7million ceiling but clubs are to be given permission to make allowances for long-serving, marquee and home-grown players in an effort to prevent a drain of talent to Australia and the 15-man code
Just muddys the water IMO. I am glad the RFL have done it but far easier just to increase the cap IMO.
THE 18th Man

Re: Why not just increase the cap

Post by THE 18th Man »

just be grateful we got this CP. it took us to loose Ashton, Eastmond and Joel before they did this
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote:
Wigan chairman Ian Lenagan has revealed the club have taken advantage of amendments to the league’s salary cap to help keep Tomkins in the game.

The Rugby Football League are sticking with a £1.7million ceiling but clubs are to be given permission to make allowances for long-serving, marquee and home-grown players in an effort to prevent a drain of talent to Australia and the 15-man code
Just muddys the water IMO. I am glad the RFL have done it but far easier just to increase the cap IMO.
It is probably because a simple increase in the cap would see clubs waste it on sub-standard overseas signings.

At least this encourages development of home grown players and talent.

I thought this was most peoples favourite way to see the cap relaxed?
100% Warrior

Post by 100% Warrior »

DaveO wrote:It is probably because a simple increase in the cap would see clubs waste it on sub-standard overseas signings.

Good on the RFL, it looks like they've listened & acted on comments from clubs & supporters on this issue. A real step in the right direction to reward clubs for producing their own talent rather than rely on cheap imports.
jobo

Post by jobo »

Increasing the cap is too honest a move. Some clubs routinely find their way around it and some clubs aren't even spending up to limit, so in effect it's a mirage and always has been.

Without a salary cap we regularly had unfancied teams like Fax, Fev, Sheffield, hkr, York etc, making appearances in finals. Introducing the great leveller, a salary cap, has produced just 4 teams, ok 5 if you include Warrington who we all know don't ever breach the cap, in the past 13 years winning everything.

In the past, there maybe was a case to have some sort of governance controlling excessive spending by over enthusiastic Chairpersons, as they could easily borrow the money from banks. Nowadays, borrowing for small business is like getting blood from a stone which means there is no need for a cap.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Seems the RFL are finally taking their head out of their arse. Let's hope they mean business and clubs are given some latitude to combat the arrogant Public School toffs who obviously feel our far more talented players are there for the taking!
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

The cap needs to at least double if we are to stop the flow of talent to an inferior sport with a big bank account.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

DaveO wrote:
cpwigan wrote:

It is probably because a simple increase in the cap would see clubs waste it on sub-standard overseas signings.

Only to see the National team manager bring Australians over to play for England (that in my opinion are not better than what we already have) rather than give youngsters/homegrown talent a chance.
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

I agree with CP. I like the salary cap but it has to be increased to keep younger players in the game. It is a complete joke that young Super League players are playing on sub 30k in front of 20,000 people. A marquee allownace will not change this.

Even if the cap had just increased with inflation since its inception it would be over £2 million now, that is how much RL's wages have decreased in real terms over the last few years. This at a time when TV deals, attendances, sponsorhip, ticket prices have all gone up. It just doesnt add up, where is all the extra money that wasnt there years ago going? No wonder we are falling behind other sports.
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
DaveO wrote:
cpwigan wrote: Just muddys the water IMO. I am glad the RFL have done it but far easier just to increase the cap IMO.

Only to see the National team manager bring Australians over to play for England (that in my opinion are not better than what we already have) rather than give youngsters/homegrown talent a chance.
the aussies have quite a good case to represent england, the new zealander in my books dose not
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME