Tomkins to play for Barbarians?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Tomkins to play for Barbarians?

Post by DaveO »

The possibility of injury can't be mitigated by any so called benefits to RL from him playing because there are none and because him being out injured for us is going to be detrimental to us. It could very well remove us from contention for honours if he copped a bad Injury

This is why when you give players great contracts they are contracts that preclude them doing anything that might make them unavailable for the team. Or they should be. That should be all there is too it.

I also think people need to give up on the idea that if we hang onto the cost tails of RU at one of their big events RL is going to gain anything. The idea we are showing them how it's done is IMO naive.

I also do not see how Wigan or RL will benefit financially. There does not seem to be any suggestion anywhere the club will be paid for his services but even if money did come into it this would just show IL was prepared to risk Wigan's success for a bit of cash. How much do people think we'd get anyway for a one off game when we only got £250k for a full Emgland International being transferred to Sarries?
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

DaveO wrote:The possibility of injury can't be mitigated by any so called benefits to RL from him playing because there are none and because him being out injured for us is going to be detrimental to us. It could very well remove us from contention for honours if he copped a bad Injury

This is why when you give players great contracts they are contracts that preclude them doing anything that might make them unavailable for the team. Or they should be. That should be all there is too it.

I also think people need to give up on the idea that if we hang onto the cost tails of RU at one of their big events RL is going to gain anything. The idea we are showing them how it's done is IMO naive.

I also do not see how Wigan or RL will benefit financially. There does not seem to be any suggestion anywhere the club will be paid for his services but even if money did come into it this would just show IL was prepared to risk Wigan's success for a bit of cash. How much do people think we'd get anyway for a one off game when we only got £250k for a full Emgland International being transferred to Sarries?
And how many Rah Rah's would love to take "sam the best thing since sliced bread" out??

He would be a massive target for dirty shots like he is in league.

Bad Bad choice if true
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Jake

Post by Jake »

I do hope this does not happen,there will be no benefit to Wigan or Rugby League in this fiasco, the risk of injury could be devastating for Wigan next season.Let common sense prevail.
yoda warrior

Post by yoda warrior »

Been confirmed on sky sports website.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

It stinks to high heaven.
The only purpose of this is to work out how much the Dark Side will pay us when he walks out on the club and the sport. I would be astonished if it is anything like 3 years.
I don't blame I L as I don't think for a moment he has any choice or say in the matter, as Sam joins his brother in sticking 2 fingers up at the game and the club that got them to where they are today.
I am disgusted by this.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Lenegan has lost the plot on this one.

He is whittering on about mutual respect of the codes and quite frankly no one cares. Union fans follow union and league fans follow league.

To risk your best player for nothing is ridiculous.

He needs to stop pandering to RU and needs to concentrate on Wigan. I am certainly fed up of what little news the club does publish having so much focus on RU lately. It's bad enough to lose Joel but to have Sam risked for nothing and it bring more publicity to RU as the senior code (which is what it amounts to) is a huge PR gaff.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

I am completely flabbergasted by this whole situation.
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Maybe IL is setting us up to field an RU team in the near future?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

He's playing rugby union. He'll hardly get tackled!

This whole situation is all about putting sam in the shop window so we can get as much money as possible for him and he will be leaving, that is for sure.

The coverage on a national/global scale for wigan will do us no harm as well.

I think we will get over a million pounds for sam when he leaves.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

For me, the chance of him getting injured, playing a game he does not really understand and missing games for Wigan far outweighs any positive to the situation. It is as simple as that as far as I am concerned.
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett