Rads to play in testimonial

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
exile in Tiger country

Re: Rads to play in testimonial

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:Im going to the match and while it would be epic to see Rads once again don the Cherry and White, i agree i dont want this match to be a panto, there arent many pre-season matches and some of the lads still need to blow off the cobwebs. Plus if Hudds know we are treating it as a joke they may bring a far weaker team than they might of done. Good PR, Poor preperation
Don't think that's possible. If you read the press releases, Hudds have no front row to speak of already.
I wish I could make it, I would love to see Rads play once more.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

I personally feel that this game is to celebrate Lockers' commitment to the club and it should be focused around that. I appreciate that it can be looked at as a pre season warm up game but I think that on this occasion, Lockers' day is more important. I'd be happy to see him line up with Farrell and Billy Boston if it came to it, as long as it was what he wanted.

He's given his whole career for this club and I think the club, fans and players owe it to him to make it a special day, despite the loss of what could be a warm up game.

Tomorrow is about Lockers, not WWRL
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Testimonial Squad Announced
Brown names squad to face Wigan

Thursday 19th January (Kick Off 8pm) sees the Huddersfield Giants travel to the DW Stadium to take on last season’s Challenge Cup Winners the Wigan Warriors in Sean O’Loughlin’s Testimonial match.

The fixture will prove to be a physical encounter as both sides look to test their squads as the Super League campaign begins in a little under three weeks. Head Coach Nathan Brown names Dale Ferguson in his twenty man squad who is set to make his return after recovering from a shoulder injury.
The squad for Thursday evening’s game is as follows;

1. Scott Grix
3. Leroy Cudjoe
4. Lee Gilmour
5. Jermaine McGillvary
7. Danny Brough
8. Eorl Crabtree
9. Luke Robinson
10. Keith Mason
14. Shaun Lunt
16. Dale Ferguson
18. Jason Chan
19. Tommy Lee
20. Luke George
23. Jacob Fairbank
24. Adam Walker
25. Jonny Molloy
26. Jamie Cording
27. Matt Sarsfield
29. Greg Eden
30. Josh Johnson

Referee: Thierry Alibert
Supporters can gain entry to the game by paying directly on the turnstiles with the prices as follows;
Adults – £15
Concessions - £5
*Please note there is no travel available*

http://www.giantsrl.com/news/article/10 ... announced?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Sean’s delight as Rads offers to play again..

SEAN O’Loughlin last night spoke of his delight after Kris Radlinski offered to lace up the boots in his testimonial game tomorrow.

Warriors rugby manager Radlinski has agreed to come out of retirement – for a second time – and play against Huddersfield at the DW Stadium.

The former Test No.1 has not played in more than five-and-a-half years but answered a request from O’Loughlin to take part.

And the club captain could not be happier.

He said: “We were chatting yesterday and I jokingly asked Rads would he play.

“I don’t think he was so keen on the idea at first so I thought he’d say ‘no’. But then he turned around and said, ‘If you want me to play, I will’.

“I’m chuffed to bits about it and I’m really grateful to Rads, because it’s been a while since he last played.

“It’s a great way to start my testimonial year.”

Radlinski famously came out of retirement in 2006 to help guide Wigan away from the threat of relegation, before hanging up his boots – for a second time – later that season.

“Some of the lads have already made comparisons to Paul Scholes coming out of retirement and playing for Man United,” said O’Loughlin.

“How long he plays, depends on how he feels. But Rads has kept himself fit since he retired, he still trains regularly, and hopefully we see glimpses of what he used to do regularly for Wigan.

“I know the term ‘legend’ gets banded about a lot but Kris really is a legend of the club and of the game, and it’ll be great to see him out there for one last time.”

O’Loughlin debuted in 2002 – the same year Radlinski won the Lance Todd Trophy in the Challenge Cup Final – and nominated his former team-mate in his ‘Dream Team’ which is featured in his official testimonial brochure.

At 35, Radlinski will line-up alongside some players who were still in nappies when he debuted himself back in 1993.

Coach Shaun Wane is planning to hand chances to a clutch of rising stars in tomorrow night’s match (kick-off 8pm).

But there will be plenty of familar faces, too, with O’Loughlin himself, Chris Tuson and Thomas Leuluai set to figure.

New-boy Epalahame Lauaki is in the frame, while Gareth Hock is set to play his first match in four months after completing a suspension for gouging.

Tomorrow’s match will officially launch the milestone year for O’Loughlin, who is using his testimonial to support three good causes – Wigan Youth Zone, the Emma Hoolin Appeal and the Alzheimer’s Society. Other events are planned later in the year.

Wigan’s senior players complete their pre-season programme at Salford next Tuesday, though a young side will face Leigh three days later.

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-w ... _1_4152791
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wane Pays Tribute To Skipper

Wigan Warriors play their second pre-season fixture ahead of the new season on Thursday night at the DW Stadium, 8pm kick off against Huddersfield Giants in Sean O'Loughlin's Testimonial game.

The Warriors are set to field a side which is a mixture of rising stars and experienced professionals for the game.

There is also the possibility of a blast from the past in legend Kris Radlinski playing a part in the game which would be if cleared his first run out in cherry and white in over five years. The former full backs possible involvement coming following an off the cuff comment at the Club's Training Ground between Shaun Wane, Sean O'Loughlin and Kris himself earlier in the week.

Fans are reminded that cash admission is available on the night on the turnstiles with just two stands, the East and West open on the evening.

Warriors Head Coach Shaun Wane today paid tribute to Sean O'Loughlin for his 10 year service to the Club and his wholehearted committment every day in training,

"He has been a magnificent servant to this Club and arrives at training everyday full of enthusiasm and willing to learn. He is Wigan through and through and no one was more delighted than me to see him lift the Grand Final Trophy in 2010 and the Challenge Cup at Wembley last year. He is a magnificent player and a top bloke and that is good enough for me.

"I've never once seen his enthusiasm and willingness to improve dip, which is remarkable given how long he has been atthe club. If I mentioned in training that there was an area of his game, a certain technique,that needed attention, I would bet my mortgage that Sean would stay behind at training to work on it. He is so hungry to get better and improve, and certainly one of the most professional sportsmen I have ever come across."

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... &type=news
cherrywarrior

Post by cherrywarrior »

josie andrews wrote:Testimonial Squad Announced
Brown names squad to face Wigan

Thursday 19th January (Kick Off 8pm) sees the Huddersfield Giants travel to the DW Stadium to take on last season’s Challenge Cup Winners the Wigan Warriors in Sean O’Loughlin’s Testimonial match.

The fixture will prove to be a physical encounter as both sides look to test their squads as the Super League campaign begins in a little under three weeks. Head Coach Nathan Brown names Dale Ferguson in his twenty man squad who is set to make his return after recovering from a shoulder injury.
The squad for Thursday evening’s game is as follows;

1. Scott Grix
3. Leroy Cudjoe
4. Lee Gilmour
5. Jermaine McGillvary
7. Danny Brough
8. Eorl Crabtree
9. Luke Robinson
10. Keith Mason
14. Shaun Lunt
16. Dale Ferguson
18. Jason Chan
19. Tommy Lee
20. Luke George
23. Jacob Fairbank
24. Adam Walker
25. Jonny Molloy
26. Jamie Cording
27. Matt Sarsfield
29. Greg Eden
30. Josh Johnson

http://www.giantsrl.com/news/article/10 ... announced?
Up to number 10, this looks like a very strong squad to me... come on Wigan!
Wish list: Billy Slater please!!!!!!!!
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Gleeson playing?
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
cumbria_warrior

Post by cumbria_warrior »

Soon See,

I wonder if by the weekend we are getting the blame for tearing up the pitch? Latics need someone to blame with there current form
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wane Previews Lockers Testimonial - Video

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... &type=news