Warriors Name Squad To Face Rhinos

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Warriors Name Squad To Face Rhinos

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors have today named their 19 man squad for Saturday's home Stobart Super League game against Leeds Rhinos, 5.45pm kick off

With Liam Farrell suspended and George Carmont out injured the Warriors bring in youngsters Jack Hughes, Joe Mellor and Greg Burke into the squad.

It seems likely that Hughes will play in the centre replacing Carmont (broken thumb) having figured there in a couple of pre-season fixtures and Shaun Wane will decide between Mellor, Burke and Tom Spencer as to who makes the final 17 for the game.

Wigan Warriors 19 Man Squad

Sam Tomkins, Josh Charnley, Darrell Goulding, Pat Richards, Brett Finch, Thomas Leuluai, Michael McIlorum, Lee Mossop, Harrison Hansen, Gareth Hock, Sean O'Loughlin, Jeff Lima, Chris Tuson, Epalahame Lauaki, Ben Flower, Joe Mellor, Jack Hughes, Greg Burke, Tom Spencer

Referee - Thierry Alibert

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... &type=news
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
TonyH

Re: Warriors Name Squad To Face Rhinos

Post by TonyH »

Joe Mellor for me, I sense another night like our now full back had at Quins that day. Young, enthusiastic, unknown quantity, throw him in.
Up The Mont!
Conman

Post by Conman »

cherry.pie wrote:Interesting squad. I can't see anyone other than Hughes being used at left centre, but the question will be who replaces Farrell and whether Wane will drop one of the players who underperformed.

Spencer could be used because the two interchange props were poor against Huddersfield. However, that would mean 3 props on the bench unless he uses Flower or Lauaki at second row.

He might pick Burke because he can cover prop, second row and loose forward, so it would give him an option for if O'Loughlin was moved to stand off, he could play as another prop or be used as a direct replacement for Farrell as a wide running back rower.

He could also go for Mellor and try to inject a bit of pace down the middle as that's what the team seems to have been lacking. It would allow Leuluai to go to hooker and that usually seems to benefit our game. The only issue is with Mellor, Goulding and Charnley defending on the right hand side.

Each option has it's merits, and I'd argue that none of Lauaki, Flower and Tuson should be certain of there place ahead of this game because all three were disappointing, so it could be two youngsters added to the team.
I agree with playing Mellor. I would like Leuluai to be pushed upto hooker on a fulltime basis. Mellor is a clever player with a bit of pace, he won't solve our lack of a kicking game but will be a better last tackle kicking option than Tommy. Wane seems to really like Flower, so can't see him being dropped. Although I would like to see Spencer given a go, based on Pre-Season form.
Twitter - @PConnah
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Kicking game for me is a real issue, finch cant kick for toffee lets face it he can produce the odd good kick but overall he's inconsistent.

tommy never really been good at kicking apart from his grubber kicks.

Tomkins is so/so

Micky M, Lockers and Pat can all hoof it but none of them particularly care about placement.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

What's happened to Powell? He must have had a shocker last week!!!!!!!!!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Stormfan

Post by Stormfan »

Good luck Wigan for this week. I predict you will win by 10.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Very generous forecast, Stormfan, after last weeks match. It will need a big improvement in all-round form just to get the win.

And missing Carmont & Farrell doesn't help so a big test of Shaun Wane's tactics & coaching nous, imo.

The bookies have us to win by 4 pts, so fingers crossed,
I'll take those odds now.

Good luck to Storm in the trial games coming up. It will be interesting to check out Hoffman's form.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Stormfan wrote:Good luck Wigan for this week. I predict you will win by 10.
Good Call!

I always seem to remember Wigan perform best when written off and totally underestimated. With the criticism literally "ringing" in their ears I do suspect not only a far better performance, but also one that could more than shock Leeds
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
TonyH

Post by TonyH »

butt monkey wrote:
Stormfan wrote:Good luck Wigan for this week. I predict you will win by 10.
Good Call!

I always seem to remember Wigan perform best when written off and totally underestimated. With the criticism literally "ringing" in their ears I do suspect not only a far better performance, but also one that could more than shock Leeds
Me too, the desire to prove a lot of doubters wrong (even after one game) will push the lads through to a win.

On topic I'd like to see Joe Mellor get a chance but I have heard from people that Greg Burke is a very smart player and would be useful to have on the bench.
Up The Mont!
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

The thing i Can't work out is, we signed Lauaki from Hull because he was out of contract and they didn't want him, however we signed Dudson because our new assistant coach recomended him.

So why is lauaki a deffinate starter, but Dudson can't even get a look in.

duty of care springs to mind...hope not Shaun.

Don't know alot about these youngsters, but would sooner see them than either of these two.