Re: Message for Southstand Drummers/Singers at back of stand.

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

For Paleaasina's old chant you could sing "Eric Lauaki, Eric Lauaki"
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
mickh

Post by mickh »

I don't know if they are the same people but, there was a small contingent of Wigan supporters (with drummer) at Castleford who nearly caused a riot with the language they used to wind up the Castleford spectators. Only bits of kids who prefered to keep in the pack. Main instigator was a big over 18 red haired youth who's mum and dad (All have seats in the middle of the East Stand by the way) were not 3 yards away so he thinks himself as untouchable. One Castleford fan took exeption and started swinging, the stewards should have thrown out a few Wigan supporters in my opinion, but maybe I'm getting old! :blush:
Mick
Wigan_panda

Post by Wigan_panda »

To answer your first question, The Brigantes wanted to isolate themselves from the little idiots who go to the top/middle who try and cause trouble, plus they wanted a section to themselves in a way, something that would attract more people and give everyone a idea of where to go if they wanted to get involved (Hence: S2) If you want the atmosphere to spread more people have to get involved with them.

To answer your second question, They still sing the old songs, but wanted to add more, original songs. Such as: The kings of rugby, cherry and white, Dale Cavese etc... Wigan Rugby is still sang regurlary, so is "We're the greatest club in the world" But the others were very un-original and boring. AND songs are still sung for players, all the time.

Hope I helped.
It's good to have an end to journey towards, but it's the journey that matters in the end.
eccywarrior

Post by eccywarrior »

mickh wrote:I don't know if they are the same people but, there was a small contingent of Wigan supporters (with drummer) at Castleford who nearly caused a riot with the language they used to wind up the Castleford spectators. Only bits of kids who prefered to keep in the pack. Main instigator was a big over 18 red haired youth who's mum and dad (All have seats in the middle of the East Stand by the way) were not 3 yards away so he thinks himself as untouchable. One Castleford fan took exeption and started swinging, the stewards should have thrown out a few Wigan supporters in my opinion, but maybe I'm getting old! :blush:
Mick
the group at castleford wasnt really that bad. language was bit bad but its 2012 now and language is a minority problem nowadays and its just banter which the cas fan took a bit too seriously and would have been attacked if the group would have been idiots.
i was stood behind these lads but i wasnt with them
IN WANE WE TRUST
mickh

Post by mickh »

Hello Eccy, yes I was stood at the back of them as well, only bits of kids in the main, but if a grisly group of Castleford fans would have formed, little 12 year old Johnny trooping home to Wigan with his face bashed in wouldn't have been accepted would it? The word on here would have been "Oh it was the Castleford fans that started it". A bit of banter is needed, not to the extent of older youths egging younger spectators on though.
By the way it was a good turn out from our supporters again
Mick
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

eccywarrior wrote:
mickh wrote:I don't know if they are the same people but, there was a small contingent of Wigan supporters (with drummer) at Castleford who nearly caused a riot with the language they used to wind up the Castleford spectators. Only bits of kids who prefered to keep in the pack. Main instigator was a big over 18 red haired youth who's mum and dad (All have seats in the middle of the East Stand by the way) were not 3 yards away so he thinks himself as untouchable. One Castleford fan took exeption and started swinging, the stewards should have thrown out a few Wigan supporters in my opinion, but maybe I'm getting old! :blush:
Mick
the group at castleford wasnt really that bad. language was bit bad but its 2012 now and language is a minority problem nowadays and its just banter which the cas fan took a bit too seriously and would have been attacked if the group would have been idiots.
i was stood behind these lads but i wasnt with them
The date is irrelevant.
We pride ourselves on being better than the soccer idiots and thugs, so let's not justify it. We should be trying to discourage and stop foul and abusive language. Banter is different, and is usually good natured. It doesn't need to include swearing.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
**BetrL8ThnNvr**

Post by **BetrL8ThnNvr** »

I've been a season ticket holder for football for a long time (not mentioning which club), and now a season ticket holder for Warriors as well (and loving it). I much prefer the atmosphere and 'correct' passion at rugby - by both players and supporters, it's one of the big reasons I've come over to the sport and thinking of giving up on football at the end of the season. Please don't go down the route of football idiots, what you have going for you is pretty much unique and well worth keeping.
Brings to mind what the stewards piped over at the Wire game last season when they had a go at their own supporters for 'mild' swearing - its a FAMILY sport and they won't tolerate abusive language... well done to them.
stevethegas

Post by stevethegas »

Actually these guys do a really good job of keeping up atmosphere and support. Well done the Brigantes and the drummers and the south standers and all who sail in her.
Our club would be the poorer without them.
Stevethegas
**BetrL8ThnNvr**

Post by **BetrL8ThnNvr** »

Don't get me wrong stevethegas. I am 100% behind the brigantes, definately. I too was at the Castleford game, and indeed intend to go all home and away games. I didn't witness what mickh is reported to have happened. I was right behind the sticks when I heard fans behind the goals having a go at the fans section to the left ('You're the scum of rugby league bla bla'), aimed at where the Brigantes were standing. I thought at the time it was Castleford fans and when I looked over whatever had occured had finished. In the end it was over in a matter of seconds and it was put to bed, no hassles. I'm just agreeing that if it was bad language used to wind people up then it 's conceivable it wasn't just banter, and shouldn't be accepted.
I'm surprised if it was any of the regular brigantes because I really enjoy their banter and chanting and class them as true supporters of the club. I definately am not saying anything against them at all, without them it wouldn't be the same, just the person(s) that mickh is referring to.
The fans turnout so far in both away games has been fantastic... long may it continue (just lets not spoil it with accepting any bad language that might occasionaly crop up, it's not needed).
stevethegas

Post by stevethegas »

If you'll pardon the pun **BetrL8ThnNvr*​*​, we are beating the same drum.
These guys do a good job and we like the atmosphere they produce. But of course it's not the whole story. Some, and it is only a few, turn their support AGAINST the opposition, rather than FOR their own team.

It's like the difference between patriotism and nationalism. One is a love of one's country, the other is a dislike of other countries. So with our fanbase. I support Wigan and Britain or England. But that doesn't mean I dislike the other teams without whom we wouldn't have a league.

So I deplore the insulting of other fans just because they happen to be the lifeblood of another team. It just won't do. It risks turning support into tribalism, and that risks sliding down the slippery slope to the kind of poison that affects so much of football.

So please Brigantes beware. Support Wigan long and loud, but please don't insult and wind up the opposition.
Stevethegas