Wigan Defeat Catalans

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Defeat Catalans

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors 36

T - Leuluai, Richards, Hughes, Charnley 2, O'Loughlin

G - Richards 6

Catalans Dragons 12

T - Dureau, Baile

G - Dureau 2

Wigan Warriors made it four wins on the bounce in the Stobart Super League with an excellent 36-12 success against the previously unbeaten Catalans Dragons at the DW Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

The Warriors seized the initiative after the break, that after the Dragons had held a narrow 10-12 advantage at the break. Wigan crossed for six tries in total with a brace for Josh Charnley.

Wigan welcomed back Ben Flower on the bench, the prop missing the win at Castleford with a rib injury. For the Dragons former Saint Leon Pryce was on the bench with a formidable pairing of Thomas Bosc and Scott Dureau at half back.

Wigan had a great opportunity with just 3 minutes on the clock, quick hands to the left and space for Jack Hughes but the centre was unable to take Sam Tomkins pass close to the Dragons line.

At the other end there was an opportunity for Dureau on 7 minutes, a Finch pas was almost intercepted 30 metres from the Warriors line but the ball was knocked on by the Catalans scrum half.

It was the visitors who took a 0-2 lead on 10 minutes, Scott Dureau with the penalty from 28 metres out, Lauaki penalised by referee Richard Silverwood.

On 13 minutes a Warriors attack and a Leuluai kick through for Sam Tomkins looked to open up the visitors defence but the Dragons were able to hold firm and concede a goal line drop out. From the next set of six Wigan scored the games first try, Thomas Leuluai dancing through the Catalans defence from close range, Richards added the goal, 6-2.

The Dragons responded almost immediately at the other hand, Scott Dureau with the try after he started the move, Sa and Blanch also involved down the right hand side with a sweeping move, this time Bosc missed the kick but the game was level at 6 all.

On 26 minutes Wigan were denied a try by the touch judge, James Child with his flag up, Richards foot in touch from a Sam Tomkins pass as the Warriors looked for a try in the left hand corner.

With 33 minutes on the clock Wigan were in for their second try of the afternoon, the Dragons penalised close to their own line for not playing the ball properly and from the tap the ball was moved from right to left and Sam Tomkins sent in Richards in the corner, the attempted conversion hit the posts but the Warriors ahead 10-6.

Just seconds before the break, Wigan conceded a penalty close to their own line and Baile was able to crash over from close range although there was some confusion as to whether the ball was grounded but the try was given by Richard Silverwood which Dureau converted to make it 10-12 in favour of Trent Robinson's men at the interval.

The next try was a vital one and it came to the home side on 50 minutes, Jack Hughes receiving a short pass close to the line off Chris Tuson for the Warriors third try of the game, Richards added the extras, 16-12.

Within five minutes and the Warriors were in again to give themselves some breathing space, Josh Charnley with the try in the corner from a Sam pass and Richards converted from the touch line, 22-12.

At the other end Blanch was bundled into touch with a rare Catalans attack on 64 minutes.

Wigan added a further penalty on 69 minutes through Richards, 24-12.

The Warriors ensured the win with their fifth try of the game on 73 minute, McIlorum with a great break to send in Skipper Sean O'Loughlin under the posts, Richards kicked the goal, 30-12 and Wigan well on their to the win.

Wigan finished the scoring with a late Charnley try his second of the game and Richards hit the extras from out wide, 36-12.

This a great win, to keep the Dragons scoreless was no mean feat and on the attack Shaun wane's men were dominant.

Wigan Warriors - Sam Tomkins, Josh Charnley, Darrell Goulding, Jack Hughes, Pat Richards, Brett Finch, Thomas Leuluai, Lee Mossop, Michael McIlorum, Epalahame Lauaki, Harrison Hansen, Gareth Hock, Sean O'Loughlin

Replacements - Chris Tuson, Liam Farrell, Jeff Lima, Ben Flower

Catalans Dragons - Clint Greenshields, Damien Blanch, Jean Philippe-Baile, Vincent Duport, Daryl Millard, Thomas Bosc, Scott Dureau, Lopini Paea, Ian Henderson, Remi Casty, Setaimata Sa, Louis Anderson, Jason Baitieri

Replacements - David Ferriol, Gregory Mounis, leon Pryce, Jamal Fakir

Referee - Richard Silverwood
http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... &type=news
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cherrywarrior

Re: Wigan Defeat Catalans

Post by cherrywarrior »

Woo hoo! good win that for the boys!
Wish list: Billy Slater please!!!!!!!!
cumbria_warrior

Post by cumbria_warrior »

Impressed by Macca again, really looking the part this year, Catalans just wanted to try and rough things up but we did not get too involved (think eric may get a ban mind, but liked the way they sneaked him off for an interchange)
Hock and Mossops drives were outstanding. I think we looked alot fitter than them also as they were really struggling around th hour mark

Good Win
Garry Riley

Post by Garry Riley »

Great win.First half:Very average. Second half:By far the better team.But the referee was shocking,no surprise there then.
Sound & Vision - TV Audio Video - Sales - Service
Stormfan

Post by Stormfan »

Congrats for the win folks.Makes the week better when the team wins.
WOOHOO STORM & Wigan.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Shaun On Catalans Win

Wigan Warriors were 36-12 winners over the Catalans Dragons at the DW Stadium on Sunday afternoon, the Warriors ran in six tries with a brace for winger Josh Charnley.

Speaking post match Head Coach Shaun Wane admitted it was a pleasing score and was particularly happy with the second half show,

"We trained really well this week and I was proud of the boys, it is a great win for us and we will improve. I thought some of the tries we scored and some of the tries we nearly scored it could have been a more convincing win but they are a good team well coached and I am happy with that result.

"In the second half it was 26 nil and we had 80% completion and that is one of the most satisfying things for me, and in the second half of games this year we have been quite ruthless, we just need to be ruthless in the first half as well and that is what we keep striving for.

"If you would have given me that score before the game I would have snatched your hands off, but looking back now we missed a couple of opportunities but apart form that I am really happy."

On injuries from the game Shaun added,

"Hock twisted his neck in a tackle but he is tough and went back on, he told me he was good to go again if I needed him but we will need to look at that this week. Chris Tuson also picked up a neck injury and we will have a look as well at that/. Apart from that just the normal knocks and corks, Tommy Leuluai's knee blew up a bit but he will be good to go next week if I decide to pick him."

But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Shaun Wane and Pat Richards talk about the big win over Catalans Dragons - Video

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Over exuberance cost us 12 points in the first 5 minutes and the game would have been all but over. Jack should have got his debut try last week. He had an open goal early on today and missed the pass. Delighted that he finally broke his duck in the 2nd half.

I expect even greater things from this young man this season!
doc

Post by doc »

I thought our left side attack was poor in the first half. Pat and Hughes were not lying deep enough and over ran the ball from two passes from Lockers and the try that Hughes bombed as he attempted to gather the ball from behind him.

The left also looked a bit weak defensively at times when Cats stacked the blind side from the play the ball to get a couple of 4 vs 2 situations.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

I just put that down to over confidence and over enthusiasm in the first 5 minutes!