Jack Hughes Signs Long Term Deal

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
KOOCH

Re: Jack Hughes Signs Long Term Deal

Post by KOOCH »

Cracking news and justly rewarded.Though I do understand Daveo's point.Lets hope that loyalty runs through his viens.Good on you IL and SW it's nice to see the youth being rewarded and I'm sure that young Jack will repay us in bundles. :D
cherrywarrior

Post by cherrywarrior »

DaveO wrote:Joel Tomkins signed a five year deal.

If Hughes is committed to the contract and will honour it then great but if he steps up and replaces Joel, which I think he could do, who is to say history will not repeat itself?
Bring me back to earth with a bump why dont ya... Also if Joel hadnt have signed for so long we wouldnt have got so much for him when he left.
Wish list: Billy Slater please!!!!!!!!
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

If Hughes is committed to the contract and will honour it then great but if he steps up and replaces Joel, which I think he could do, who is to say history will not repeat itself?

If my auntie had balls, she'd be my uncle. Pointless post really Dave. You could say the same about any promising young player!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Kittwazzer wrote:

If my auntie had balls, she'd be my uncle. Pointless post really Dave. You could say the same about any promising young player!
Which was exactly my point! The club is being disingenuous saying this has tied player to the club for five years because as well all know contracts are not worth the paper they are written on.

The balls are all in the players court so as I said if Hughes is committed to sticking with the club then great but it's a bit rich IL saying we have him for five years when as soon as a player says he wants to leave he says its no use standing in their way.

The whole contracts system is a farce and so it's a bit daft of the club shouting about five year deals unless they can come up with a cast iron deal such as the one that has Sam here for this and two more seasons.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

DaveO wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote:

Which was exactly my point! The club is being disingenuous saying this has tied player to the club for five years because as well all know contracts are not worth the paper they are written on.

The balls are all in the players court so as I said if Hughes is committed to sticking with the club then great but it's a bit rich IL saying we have him for five years when as soon as a player says he wants to leave he says its no use standing in their way.

The whole contracts system is a farce and so it's a bit daft of the club shouting about five year deals unless they can come up with a cast iron deal such as the one that has Sam here for this and two more seasons.
DaveO, well done for finally realising sporting contracts mean nothing, I have said this numerous times on other threads, but the only way we can look at it is Jack will be a Wigan Warriors player for minimum 5 years unless a RU team comes in for him with a generous compensation package. In a nutshell, we can't lose really. Joel who?
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
jobo

Post by jobo »

DaveO wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote:

Can't see how the club are being disingenuous. The contract system is the same for everyone and the club can only do the best they can. If Hughes decides to go to union at some point in the future, there's sod all anyone can do about it other than offer more cash or try to get the best compensation they can. Don't forget that Eastmond went for free, because Saints are tight arses and didn't get in early enough to tie him down. Are you really saying we should allow this to happen to our best young players?????
bazward76

Post by bazward76 »

I can't believe that within hours of the announcement that Jack Hughes has committed his long term services to the club some people are already talking about him leaving. Why can't we all just acknowledge that Ian Leneghan and Shaun Wane have done a great job in getting this talented young man to sign a long term deal with the club and debate about him leavin if and when he actually does go.
Fantastic news! Hopefully that try against Catalan will be the 1st of many over the next 5 years.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

bazward76 wrote:I can't believe that within hours of the announcement that Jack Hughes has committed his long term services to the club some people are already talking about him leaving. Why can't we all just acknowledge that Ian Leneghan and Shaun Wane have done a great job in getting this talented young man to sign a long term deal with the club and debate about him leavin if and when he actually does go.
Fantastic news! Hopefully that try against Catalan will be the 1st of many over the next 5 years.
:eusa2:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

bazward76 wrote:I can't believe that within hours of the announcement that Jack Hughes has committed his long term services to the club some people are already talking about him leaving.
Its not about him leaving - its the fact that unless you have been on a different planet for the past few years you must know by now long term contracts are not worth the paper they are written on.

Do you know who was one of (if not the first) person to prove this? None other than our assistant coach Mr Harris who signed a 5 year deal with Wire and then went into a mega sulk until Wire caved in and let him go to Leeds.

Five year deals mean nothing as the player calls the shots so the club saying this ties him to the club for five years (or implies it does) is having us on.

Given recent events I can't believe anyone is impressed by announcements of five year deals any more.

butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

DaveO wrote:
Given recent events I can't believe anyone is impressed by announcements of five year deals any more.
Even more so if the rumours are correct that Wigan got nothing in relation to monetary compensation for Joel's move to Saracens.
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!