Re: Message for Southstand Drummers/Singers at back of stand.

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

stevethegas wrote:If you'll pardon the pun **BetrL8ThnNvr*​*​, we are beating the same drum.
These guys do a good job and we like the atmosphere they produce. But of course it's not the whole story. Some, and it is only a few, turn their support AGAINST the opposition, rather than FOR their own team.

It's like the difference between patriotism and nationalism. One is a love of one's country, the other is a dislike of other countries. So with our fanbase. I support Wigan and Britain or England. But that doesn't mean I dislike the other teams without whom we wouldn't have a league.

So I deplore the insulting of other fans just because they happen to be the lifeblood of another team. It just won't do. It risks turning support into tribalism, and that risks sliding down the slippery slope to the kind of poison that affects so much of football.

So please Brigantes beware. Support Wigan long and loud, but please don't insult and wind up the opposition.
:eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2:
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
Jimmy Birts

Post by Jimmy Birts »

The Brigantes weren't at Castleford as a group. Circumstances were such that most of the older lads who are the core of the group couldn't make the game so we didn't run our coach. Not all unsavoury incidents that go on can be laid at our door. There are Wigan fans who sing at away games who are nothing to do with the Brigantes.
**BetrL8ThnNvr**

Post by **BetrL8ThnNvr** »

stevethegas wrote:If you'll pardon the pun **BetrL8ThnNvr*​*​, we are beating the same drum.
These guys do a good job and we like the atmosphere they produce. But of course it's not the whole story. Some, and it is only a few, turn their support AGAINST the opposition, rather than FOR their own team.

It's like the difference between patriotism and nationalism. One is a love of one's country, the other is a dislike of other countries. So with our fanbase. I support Wigan and Britain or England. But that doesn't mean I dislike the other teams without whom we wouldn't have a league.

So I deplore the insulting of other fans just because they happen to be the lifeblood of another team. It just won't do. It risks turning support into tribalism, and that risks sliding down the slippery slope to the kind of poison that affects so much of football.

So please Brigantes beware. Support Wigan long and loud, but please don't insult and wind up the opposition.
Elegantly put. I concur.. :blush:
stevethegas

Post by stevethegas »

Jimmy Birts wrote:The Brigantes weren't at Castleford as a group. Circumstances were such that most of the older lads who are the core of the group couldn't make the game so we didn't run our coach. Not all unsavoury incidents that go on can be laid at our door. There are Wigan fans who sing at away games who are nothing to do with the Brigantes.
Jimmy, I support what you say. I wasn't at Castleford so can't comment about those events. In the context of this blog I was referring to Brigantes only in the general sense of the group who beat the drum and make the noise that I like and respect and is great for the atmosphere. They aren't the only ones who sing and shout I'm sure, but as they have a title they are the most easily identified. Unfortunately we do have a sad few 'fans' (not in your group) who don't behave as well as they should, and that's a pity and something we should discourage, whoever they are.

However my point is that support for our team doesn't and mustn't mean contempt for others.
Stevethegas
**BetrL8ThnNvr**

Post by **BetrL8ThnNvr** »

To be fair jimmy birts, my comments aren't specifically directed at Brigantes, it's eccy warriors comments -

"the group at castleford wasnt really that bad. language was bit bad but its 2012 now and language is a minority problem nowadays and its just banter..."

I do agree with him saying the group at Castleford wasn't bad. They weren't. The incident, whatever the cause and effect, was over with in a matter of seconds and very minor.

It's just the suggestion we should put up with bad language because its 2012....
Football is a very good role model if you're into bad language at grounds. You don't see many families in the crowd etc... compensated for by a strong Police presence!

Back to the theme of the thread.

Well done Brigantes, keep up the excellent work! :)