Re: Wane's Team Selection v Widnes: Right or Wrong?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Tuigamala

Post by Tuigamala »

I think we have to remember we lost 2 first teamers during the game to injury goulding took a knock and mossop took a knock, i went to the game and personally i think the young lads played quite well i just think Widnes played out of their skin and wanted it more, i fully agree with what Wane said he was 100% confident that team could have won, Just didnt go our way, some bad defence which needs to be looked at and im under no illusions we would have romped to victory had be played a full strength team i just think the older heads who played yesterday didnt use their experience enough, the drop goal never even entered our heads but widnes used their loaves and fair play to them they deserved the win!
"If there is no blood on the line, it is not rugby league"
(Russell Crowe)

x Wigan Warrior x

Post by x Wigan Warrior x »

The team we put out IMO should have been good enough to win, and we proved that by romping ahead twice, but we also proved that the mentality of “we only need to turn up” by the players was there too by being over confident and letting them back in twice. There were enough old heads on that field to realise this was a problem …. But never did
we don't stop playing because we grow old ....... we grow old because we stop playing
GBH

Post by GBH »

x Wigan Warrior x wrote:The team we put out IMO should have been good enough to win, and we proved that by romping ahead twice, but we also proved that the mentality of “we only need to turn up” by the players was there too by being over confident and letting them back in twice. There were enough old heads on that field to realise this was a problem …. But never did
Total unfair on the older players when you have a team that are up for it, padded out with exwigan and current players wanting to prove a point a ref who was inept to say the very least, you also loose two players what on earth do you think they can do, playing so many youngsters was a fools choose just out to prove that Maguire had got it wrong by not blooding the youngsters.
You can not remove the backbone of the team and expect miracles.
Snickers Workwear - Workwear - Safety Boots
jackoh

Post by jackoh »

The decision made by Wane was totally wrong , he seems to be trying to justify his elections now .

He keeps saying Widnes are a good team , well the question we `ve got to ask is , if they`re so good why did he rest our leaders and possibly our best players .

The players rested nearly half of our back line are our tallismen .

Has been posted before Wane got his selections WRONG .

An appolgy to the thousands of our fans who went would be a start .

Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

cherry.pie wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:No problem bringing in the younger players providing you don't remove too many key players to accommodate them.
From all of the youngsters playing for Widnes last season Dom Crosby was the best of the bunch. Joe Mellor and Logan tomkins looked nothing above the norm for that division, therefore were they ever going to be anything better than average yesterday.
Big mistake by wane.
Really? Crosby wasn't impressive at all from what I saw and it was Mellor who stood out the most and Tomkins who stood out on occasions.
Given the squad numbers Spencer and Burke seem to be ahead of Crosby and that's 100% correct from what I've seen of him, particularly at Widnes. He never really stood out at all.
Yes really, from the televised games I saw Crosby looked a very good prospect for sl on the strength of his performances for Widnes last season, and IMO better than Mellor and Logan tomkins. Wigan are strong in the second row which may be partial to crosby being lower down the pecking order in squad numbers.
markill

Post by markill »

This topic really has got everyone going hasn't it. New posters, CP back. He's mates with DaveO now, people aren't really showing much backing down or showing much balance in their approach.

I vote wrong, although I think he got it half wrong - he should have rested half the players he did. Ha.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

I think this was the wrong call on many levels.

A. Widnes are a poor team and we should have taken the points as the main priority. Have a slightly weaker bench, limit the changes to have a stronger team and us the CC early rounds to evaluate youth.

B. We did Dennis Betts' teamtalk for him. Disrespect, taken the game for granted, etc. I'm sure these and other phrases were used and we did not have the nous or experience to back up against what would have been a fired up opponent.

C. leadership. Tommy, Lockers, Pat - all lead us around the park in their own way. Too much taken out fromn this critical aspect.

D. Rotation after 5 games ia joke - sorry.
Miggy

An explanation?

Post by Miggy »

Take me home, Wigan Road
cpwigan

Re: An explanation?

Post by cpwigan »

Just repeating what he has said previously
On his team selection, he added: "I needed to rest a couple of players and I needed to find out about a couple of our juniors, and I've done that and we've learnt a lesson.
I like Waney but he seems oblivious to the fact that he is being unfair to the players he wants to find out about when he asks them to play in a considerably understrength team minus our best player(s) incl our leader/captain.

IMO, put any 1 of them in a fully strength team incl Lockers, Sam, Tommy, Pat etc etc and they will go far far better and gain confidence. Setting people up to fail is not finding out about them IMO. Nor should any player be judged on a single game, as a coach should not. Players like Russell / Spencer were already gaining valuable experience at Leigh anyway.

The high risk approach taken by Waney was compunded by in game injuries. The end result WE incl Waney lost a golden opportunity to go top of SL.
sheepsteeth

Re: An explanation?

Post by sheepsteeth »

I agree with CP, blood 1 or 2 kids in the team. This way he'll get a better idea of whether they're ready!!

all he now knows is that with half an U20's team we aren't good enough.

what people fail to see is the bigger picture, stains have been able to maintain a good side over the years by bring youngsters into a good team!! wigan have the chance to do this now we have a good solid side again, let's not waste the chance.

i also want to say that had madge blooded a couple of them last year wane might not be in such a rush!!!