Re: Wane's Team Selection v Widnes: Right or Wrong?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Thumbs down from me
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

For one match, yes, ancient. But who to say in the long run ?

Leeds lost 7 of their first ten games last season but at the end were probably the freshest team around and are Champions!

Those youngsters will have learnt a huge lesson and maybe realise they aren't quite as good as they think. If there's anything about them, they'll be better prepared in the future when called on.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Nezza Faz wrote: Those youngsters will have learnt a huge lesson and maybe realise they aren't quite as good as they think.
Correct. Their confidence will be shot to pieces after today!
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Of course it is the wrong selection,how can ayone say otherwise?Not only have we been beaten by the whipping boys of SL,the team who will almost certainly finish bottom of the pile but they put 37 points on us.Prior to this game we were the side with the best defensive record this season. Wane should be fined for gross stupidity.
pie eater and proud of it

Post by pie eater and proud of it »

Wrong wrong wrong.

Blood the odd one or two, not half the team at the same time !
bazward76

Post by bazward76 »

As I posted on the "Who do we drop/bring in" subject, I thought it was a bad idea to make changes to a winning team as it could be costly and I've been proved right.
Shaun Wane has paid the price for treating Widnes with little respect. I could understand putting 1 or 2 younger players on the bench and bring them on to give them a taste of super league but to rest so many of your best players in the same game was total stupidity.
The consequences could be massive come the end of the season and I hope Waney learns from this huge error.

He should have picked his strongest team available to him and secured top spot in the league and kept the pressure on the other teams near the top. Instead we're the laughing stock having been beaten by a team who are almost certainly going to finish bottom of the league and who were expected by many to go through the season without a single win.
doc

Post by doc »

Too many alterations to key positions. We could afford to rest one, and at a push two, of Tommy, Sam or Lockers but not all three. Fair enough resting Pat. Faz should be at loose if we rest Lockers, not Tuscon.
Warrior Bob 75

Post by Warrior Bob 75 »

I've watched Wigan for 70 years and this is the most disrepectful attitude towards an opposition coach, team and supporters I have seen.
If he's trying to instil in his own players to not be overconfident then he shouldn't be overconfident himself. This will only serve to shake the confidence of the young lads.
I know it will have been a hard lesson for him, but I hope he has learned something from it.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cherry.pie wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote:
Nezza Faz wrote: Those youngsters will have learnt a huge lesson and maybe realise they aren't quite as good as they think.
Correct. Their confidence will be shot to pieces after today!
Why? Because they lost a very even game? If they thought the game against Widnes was going to be easy then they are going to struggle to adapt to Super League level.
If they thought it was going to be a tough contest then they got exactly what they expected.
The reason it could have knocked their confidence is because they lost to a very poor team. Simple as that. Not because they thought it was going to be easy or hard.

Throwing players in the deep end as Wane did today is old fashioned nonsense.

Contrast that to how they would feel had one or two played alongside the experienced players and been part of the expected professional and competent performance.

There also aren't any parallels with Leeds either as mentioned by someone else. Their coach didn't rest Sinfield at all last season or any of his senior pros as far as I can recall. Sinfield didn't miss a game all season playing in 27. Burrow played in 25.

They were poor because they had a few injuries and were just off form. It wasn't a master plan to lose all those games.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

No problem bringing in the younger players providing you don't remove too many key players to accommodate them.
From all of the youngsters playing for Widnes last season Dom Crosby was the best of the bunch. Joe Mellor and Logan tomkins looked nothing above the norm for that division, therefore were they ever going to be anything better than average yesterday.
Big mistake by wane.