Hottest Wigan RL team since Offiah / Miles season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Hottest Wigan RL team since Offiah / Miles season

Post by cpwigan »

The present Wigan team remind of the era when Miles and Offiah were running amok culminating in hammering Bradford in the CC Semi at Burnden Park. The present team are red hot at the moment.
The Eclipse

Re: Hottest Wigan RL team since Offiah / Miles season

Post by The Eclipse »

CP, help me out.

You have seen English players more up close than me, i was lucky enough to see Ellery Hanley mesmerise opponents playing for Balmain Tigers, i was only young but remember when Malcolm Reilly and Phil Lowe caused havoc at Manly BUT

I think Sam Tomkins is the best English player i have seen in my lifetime.

Is that a fair call ?
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

The Eclipse wrote:CP, help me out.

You have seen English players more up close than me, i was lucky enough to see Ellery Hanley mesmerise opponents playing for Balmain Tigers, i was only young but remember when Malcolm Reilly and Phil Lowe caused havoc at Manly BUT

Is that a fair call ?
The man I always called god was Ellery and will remain so.But Sam is simply sublime.I never know from one moment to the other just what moves he's going to pull from the hat.Forget Billy Slater Sam's the man. :D
bourbon_rat

Post by bourbon_rat »

Forget Billy Slater Sam's the man
:doz:

Yes he's very good but he's still got to learn to keep his gob shut & not give away silly penalties.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite
and furthermore always carry a small snake
- W C Fields
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Is that a fair call ?
Sam is the best I have seen for a long time. I cannot place anybody above Ellery but Sam offers sublime attack with great defensive skills, a combo which puts him ahead of Offiah who could cut teams to ribbons on his day.

Fullback is such a wonderful position whatsmore Sam is probably now more dangerous running left to right than his early right to left career trait.

Sam is a tough little so and so too. Plenty of niggle / extras given to him. Never fazed / intimidated.

Ellery 1 / Sam 2 at the moment

Incidentally, brilliant SL Supermen starring Shaun Edwards on its way to you. Edwards talks about Mick Neil (Balmain) and something I never realised Edwards had a fantastic record paying Aussies.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Is that a fair call ?
I think Sam has already entered the same bracket as Edwards and Gregory but he has to keep doing it to be as great and my concern is he will be off before he does. If he stays in the game he will have no problem emulating and probably surpassing those players long term achievements at all.

As to Hanley now that is a bit different. That is world class + 1 level and Sam just hasn't had the opportunities yet to show that but to be honest it is hard for any player to do this due to the fact we play much fewer internationals (no tours).
bourbon_rat

Post by bourbon_rat »

Hottest Wigan RL team since ...............

Different era - Different rules,etc but what this team has is Passion & a Complete package outlook.Which ever 17 pull on the shirt,they go out with the same passionate & determined mindset and so far they've STUCK TO THE GAME PLAN,with each man knowing the role he has to play.

Against a niggling & at time just plain dirty Leeds side nobody got drawn in or distracted.It makes for a settled & effective attack / defence.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite
and furthermore always carry a small snake
- W C Fields
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

cpwigan wrote:The present Wigan team remind of the era when Miles and Offiah were running amok culminating in hammering Bradford in the CC Semi at Burnden Park. The present team are red hot at the moment.
But how many of that team came through our junior ranks?

And which of today's team cost us £400k?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Kittwazzer wrote:
cpwigan wrote:The present Wigan team remind of the era when Miles and Offiah were running amok culminating in hammering Bradford in the CC Semi at Burnden Park. The present team are red hot at the moment.
But how many of that team came through our junior ranks?

And which of today's team cost us £400k?
Please don't belittle past teams achievements with any hint of buying success. That was the era it operated in when there was an active transfer market and it was pre-bosman when we signed Offiah so you just never saw top class players switch clubs for nothing at the end of their contracts.

We also brought through plenty of home grown talent and always have. We are on the anniversary of our historic win over Brisbane in the WCC and while that side had Offiah in it 8 of the starting 13 came through the Wigan junior ranks.

We also hadBotica who we brought to RL as well as "cheap as chips" transfers Cowie, Panapa, McGinty, Hall and Atcherson were also in the squad.
joeb

Post by joeb »

Don't remember miles at burden c,p and Sam has a long way to go to mentioned along with Hanley,don't forget Hanley stared in four different positions