Well if that doesn't make the case for Sam at 6 with TL out nothing will.

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: Well if that doesn't make the case for Sam at 6...

Post by cpwigan »

cherry.pie wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Where is Sam most effective for the team? FB or 6?

The tour option can be cancelled. There was talk that Bateman and Currie would not go either.
I would hope that Wigan don't prevent any of the youngsters from going on the tour. It's a fantastic opportunity to aid their development and a great experience. If either Williams or Hampshire was definitely the best option and there were no other options then maybe it would have to happen otherwise they should be allowed to tour.
The tour offers a great deal but so would several games of SL incl a possible Wembley appearance. The latter IMO would offer more IMO.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I want somebody to come out and say I think Sam at 6 is better for Wigan than Sam at FB. You get plenty saying put Sam at 6 BUT as well as Jack Murphy did or Matty Russel can do, NEITHER can create the sdame threat that holds the L3 or R3 defenders up enough to give George and Daz the room to set up tries for themselves / wingers.

People need to analyse and understand how this Wigan team plays. Do we attack through the POTB and at the A defenders or do we attack at the 3 defenders? Now unless I am sorely wrong we attack the 3 defenders with Lockers at LF and Sam at FB the key figures in doing so. People criticised Hocky on Friday BUT even Hocky benefits from having Sam as a potential option, allowing a HB (Finchy) passing to him directly or using him as a decoy to find Sam and/or set George free.

We are now moving to a new stage where Mac is offering a POTB threat particularly to props crashing over but we are not a Saints style team with Roby and co concentrating on breaking up the middle etc.

Defensively, it is so important that Lockers has the flexibility to defend at 13. 13 in the Wigan set up has the freedom to fill gaps etc etc. and is the lynchpin of the defence line. Sam is pretty damn good defending at FB too and moreso he discourages opposition teams from trying high risk plays that could give him opportunities whereas Murphy and Russel would encourage not discourage. Put Sam at 6 and you will see the amount of opposition traffic hitting that area treble. Wahtsmore, where will Sam defend? Left or right? Tommy defends right, Sam IIRC prefers left. Do we move Finchy to the right defence.

Far too easy and without thought / understanding to clamour for Sam to 6. When Dave O advocates something it should carry a RL health warning. Mind you at least he makes far more sense than Jim in his Sam goes missing posts.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

cherry.pie wrote:So to answer the question I asked earlier, you'd rather have O'Loughlin at 6 than Tomkins?

It's alright saying a like for like replacement should be played, most people agree with that, but Wane doesn't for whatever reason or at least he hasn't so far.
Neither would be my choice Cherry you know that but if forced probably Lockers. I prefer neither. Nobody here has said why the team would be better with Sam at 6 than at FB. I think the call for Sam to 6 is too easy and somewhat ill considered.

If we get as many of our best players, particularly forwards back then Lockers at 6 or a youngster will go far better. I would think unless Wane has no plans other than Lockers at 6 that it would be sensible to try Mellor, Powell, Williams or Hampshire at 6 before the semi.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Don't know if anything in this, but Hull FC didn't include Russell in their squad for todays match against Huddersfield. Has Wane put in a request ?

Maybe with all the conjecture around right now, I should have put this into "Rumours" !!
TonyH

Post by TonyH »

God wrote:IMO Finch is a must at second reciever and SOL at 13. All this Tomkins at 6 for me isnt the answer hes a fullback and thats his best position bar none.

1.Tomkins
7. Mellor recall him we have nothing to loose and despite him leaving is STILL a Wigan player and the best player Widnes currently have.
6.Finch this is an absolute must imo.
13. Sol, this also is an absolute must we loose way to much in an already depleated pack, too many kids in there at the moment and the pack needs a leader.
I don't understand where people get this first/second receiver from nowadays, it's a thing of the past, Stevo is bad for it all the time. The halfbacks no longer play 1st and 2nd receiver, they play left and right, if we are attacking and passing from right to left then the right half back will be first receiver hitting the left halfback as second or sometimes 3rd receiver, the same if we are passing left to right it's the left half back at first receiver and the right half back at 2nd or 3rd. It is quite simply common and the 'done' thing to name a loose forward who is playing stand off at 6 on the team sheet because back in the day both positions were particularly similar as they played out wide allowing the 7 to boss around the ruck area from first receiver but in todays game there is no difference between playing 6 or 7.

Lockers at 6 is cover at the moment, moving Sam Tomkins to 6 is a no go in my opinion, full back is the best attacking position on the pitch, it is also the position that tackles the least during a game which means Sam conserves energy for attacking and scoring points.
Up The Mont!
Wes

Post by Wes »

Disagree Tony, which is more effective Tommy at 2nd receiver or Finchy? Both positions can cover 1st receiver but a 6 is the best option as 2nd.

JT is struggling over there at the moment to play 6 why might that be?!?

FB is possibly the best attacking threat but he only gets the ball if 6 and 7 see nothing or call it that way. We are fortunate we have the best FB in the world (arguably) hence he gets the ball as much as we can give it too him! Other SL teams don't have that luxury, yet.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

TonyH wrote:
God wrote:IMO Finch is a must at second reciever and SOL at 13. All this Tomkins at 6 for me isnt the answer hes a fullback and thats his best position bar none.

1.Tomkins
7. Mellor recall him we have nothing to loose and despite him leaving is STILL a Wigan player and the best player Widnes currently have.
6.Finch this is an absolute must imo.
13. Sol, this also is an absolute must we loose way to much in an already depleated pack, too many kids in there at the moment and the pack needs a leader.
I don't understand where people get this first/second receiver from nowadays, it's a thing of the past, Stevo is bad for it all the time. The halfbacks no longer play 1st and 2nd receiver, they play left and right, if we are attacking and passing from right to left then the right half back will be first receiver hitting the left halfback as second or sometimes 3rd receiver, the same if we are passing left to right it's the left half back at first receiver and the right half back at 2nd or 3rd. It is quite simply common and the 'done' thing to name a loose forward who is playing stand off at 6 on the team sheet because back in the day both positions were particularly similar as they played out wide allowing the 7 to boss around the ruck area from first receiver but in todays game there is no difference between playing 6 or 7.

Lockers at 6 is cover at the moment, moving Sam Tomkins to 6 is a no go in my opinion, full back is the best attacking position on the pitch, it is also the position that tackles the least during a game which means Sam conserves energy for attacking and scoring points.
In essence Sam is playing second receiver / old fashioned no 6 anyhow like every modern FB does which renders the clamour for Sam to 6 a bit pointless.

If we get our best pack playing then we will fare far far better than simply moving Sam to 6.
TonyH

Post by TonyH »

29wes28 wrote:Disagree Tony, which is more effective Tommy at 2nd receiver or Finchy? Both positions can cover 1st receiver but a 6 is the best option as 2nd.

JT is struggling over there at the moment to play 6 why might that be?!?

FB is possibly the best attacking threat but he only gets the ball if 6 and 7 see nothing or call it that way. We are fortunate we have the best FB in the world (arguably) hence he gets the ball as much as we can give it too him! Other SL teams don't have that luxury, yet.
It wasn't my opinion it is there in black and white to see that the half backs nowadays play left and right not first and second. They use the sticks as the centre point obviously so they know who controls which play at what time.

Thurston has had Darren Lockyer to hide behind and happy to play second fiddle for years, now the focus is all on him and the coveted number 6 shirt the pressure is obviously mounting its nothing to do with where he's playing because he is still playing on the left. Like he was when he was at 7. There's no difference these days.
Up The Mont!
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Just a thought. With Sam at 6 and Murphy at full-back - wouldn't that give the opposition more worries about where breaks are coming from?
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Southern Softy wrote:Just a thought. With Sam at 6 and Murphy at full-back - wouldn't that give the opposition more worries about where breaks are coming from?
It would tie Sam to one half of the pitch and more in a passing role. FB is the true bonus role attacking wis with the freedom to go wherever you want.