Stats, lies etc etc Wigan v Leeds

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: Stats, lies etc etc Wigan v Leeds

Post by cpwigan »

I think Mac being fully fit will help. He has developed a decent game around the POTB. The semi was his worst of the season. Likewise; 2 proper halfbacks + Lockers will help. I may be wrong but we had a lot of success down the right hand side that dried up when Lockers went to half back. Above all we may need to develop more % plays in / around the POTB.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

markill wrote:We didn't just lose an organiser down the middle - we had players playing with recent knocks (McIlorum, Lima) or players playing that haven't had much game time recently (Hansen, Flower), and having that without the normal leader to get them together in that middle channel meant we lost the battle on most occasions.

My point remains that we can't use the statistics of this game to look ahead to what might happen in future semis/finals as we don't know what the situation with our line up in attack and defense will be. We still could have had Lockers down the middle in defence and one of the weaker or less fit defenders wider so maybe that lesson will be picked up on if any half back emergencies happen again. At least we can fit Matty Smith in at 7 and Lockers at 13 again now and work from there.
My only reasoning behind the comment about Finchy being bottled up was because my belief is that Leeds thought that Lockers was less of a threat in the halves so could concentrate their defence more on Finchy and it did work to some degree.
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

I said at the time Leeds did nothing special to beat us despite the drivel being talked by the bbc"experts". Four major factors
1. lockers should have stayed at loose forward.
2 Sam made a few early mistakes so we had to chase the game.
3 Gelling had a stinker and isn't a winger by a country mile.
4 The fecker with the whistle was to much to overcome.