Celebrating a win?!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Kittwazzer

Re: Celebrating a win?!

Post by Kittwazzer »

I AM BAKED BEAN BOOGIE, AND SO IS MY WIFE!!!
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I am Biggus Di... nevermind

Does it really matter what our players do? Unless it was Gleeson.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
antobolto

Post by antobolto »

I used to work in the cloakroom in Princes in the late 90's (when it was 'the place to be' in Wigan) during Wigan's golden period and virtually every Saturday night, I saw the likes of Martin Offiah, Shaun Edwards, Jason Robinson, Henry Paul, Andy Farrel et al. While I can't say that I saw all of them staggering out at 3am (except Gary Connolly- he was smashed every week), clearly going out drinking didn't do that team any harm! :D
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote:A thought to ponder and I am Tea-Total so drinking alcohol is not for me BUT how do the self righteous amongst us explain why Andy Gregory was able to play so well despite being hungover for large parts of his career. Ironically some of the self righteous numptys bemoan players drinking alcohol and then vote Greg as the all time Wigan 7 Gary Connolly ? and so forth and so forth.
I have always wondered how good the likes of Connelly would have been were they as disciplined as modern day athletes as regards alcohol and where they able to benefit from modern day sports science. As it is they played in the era they did when sports science was in its infancy and only certain players avoided the drink like Betts. There is no hypocrisy in stating the obvious that in their day they were top players. If people can't say that because they prefer players today to avoid alcohol then we can't say Boston or any other past player was a great because they didn't train as they do today and they were not full time. Would Connolly be able to drink as he did and play today? I have my doubts. That doesn't mean because he was a top player then it means players today can emulate his behaviour. I don't think anyone would suggest they should would they?
Moreover, when regular posters here are facing monumental real life challenges I quite honestly could not give a damn if players had a few drinks with no game in the next week. Far more important things in life. Time to grow up some people.
If you want to get all moralistic I think the fact that most people facing everyday challenges of making ends meet, doing the best for their kids etc never mind facing more serious challenges gives them every right to comment on the behaviour of those who are good enough to play sport for a living when they help pay their wages. At the end of the day though I think for most people commenting on players drinking to excess is no different to bemoaning Wane over-training the players. People want to see their team in tiptop condition and so that is what motivates such debates. Not some misplaced moral crusade.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

:slee: There are people posting here who themselves or their loved ones are fighting for their lives. Somewhat different from the daily grind we all face Dave O

Greg being able to play as he did despite being a virtual alcoholic was because he was incredibly gifted. He would have been gifted in any era. Likewise Conolly. Whatsmore they were as good as tea total ultimate pros of that era such as Edwards, Hanley etc.

If a player produces quality on the field of play and is still able to consume alcohol then so be it. As a tea totaler it does not give me the right to say no drinking alcohol.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote: :slee: There are people posting here who themselves or their loved ones are fighting for their lives. Somewhat different from the daily grind we all face Dave O
You clearly missed the point completely.
Greg being able to play as he did despite being a virtual alcoholic was because he was incredibly gifted. He would have been gifted in any era. Likewise Conolly. Whatsmore they were as good as tea total ultimate pros of that era such as Edwards, Hanley etc.

If a player produces quality on the field of play and is still able to consume alcohol then so be it. As a tea totaler it does not give me the right to say no drinking alcohol.
Sports Science does.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

DaveO wrote:
cpwigan wrote: :slee: There are people posting here who themselves or their loved ones are fighting for their lives. Somewhat different from the daily grind we all face Dave O
You clearly missed the point completely.

Sports Science does.
Sports science is but a part of sport. Yes, it is important but it does not nor can anybody measure equally important probably more so game intelligence, heart and courage. Those who have played sport at a decent level will understand.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Ouch! Even I felt that!
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Alcohol therefore has little affect on team performances.
What short memories we have.
Martin Gleeson was not in any part to blame for Wigan's defeat against Leeds in the 2010 Challenge Cup Semi Final.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Panchitta Marra wrote:Alcohol therefore has little affect on team performances.
What short memories we have.
Martin Gleeson was not in any part to blame for Wigan's defeat against Leeds in the 2010 Challenge Cup Semi Final.
How do you explain Andy Greg then PM? or the 1994 WCC win in Aus PM?