Scott Taylor

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ste lord

Re: scott taylor

Post by ste lord »

Kittwazzer wrote:
ste lord wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote: Where have you heard this Ste? I saw it on SLF but it was posted by a Whinos fan!
Tbh pal , my brother told me this afternoon in work , he's probably sen the same post as you , or RLFans .
Or on this thread yesterday. I'm sure many rumours gather legs when they're posted! :D
:) ye that's possible too mate , one of them ain't it where folk have nowt much to do so these rumours start this time of year , I'm sure by the start of the new season every player would be leaving at some stage of the close season :lol:

Keep Wigan "Wigan"

markill

Post by markill »

Prescott's problem is errors. He makes decent yards, misses few tackles and I used to have the perception he gave away a few penalties, but I think this has improved.

He isn't a renowned tackle breaker or offloader, which makes his errors more notable because he isn't doing anything noticably brilliant to make up for it. Defencively solid but not a spectacular player. You do need these types of players, but I would want him to cut down his errors.

Based on 2012 stats, Taylor is more likely to make a break or offload than our current front rowers. He made a decent amount of tackles per game and misses a lower ratio than our current front rowers. The stats suggest he would make an able replacement for Lima - and we shouldn't turn our nose up at the stats because he has played against the same teams as our front row but in a worse team himself.

in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

I have been told today the Wigan are looking for an Aus front row forward and a top class centre. A Wigan rep is flying out next week to clinch a deal. I also think that we will sign Scott Taylor.[/i][/b]
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

ddtftf wrote:I have been told today the Wigan are looking for an Aus front row forward and a top class centre. A Wigan rep is flying out next week to clinch a deal. I also think that we will sign Scott Taylor.
If Wigan can pull off the signing of a truly top class centre from the NRL in the current financial climate IL will be a miracle worker. I hope you are right!
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

cherry.pie wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote: Preccy will be desperate to do well next season as he is in the final year of his contract. If his injuries persist then Wigan will probably not offer him a new contract.

For what it is worth, none of Preccy's injuries are related to previous absences - in other words he is unlucky.
I think Prescott has a list of all known sports related injuries and is attempting to tick them off one by one.

In all seriousness though while his injuries this year were frustrating he's not injured as frequently as some might think, as his number of games per year shows...

2007 - 27
2008 - 12
2009 - 28
2010 - 28
2011 - 28
2012 - 11

He's bizarrely consistent as the number of possible games is usually different each year depending on cup/playoff runs. Perhaps 28 is his limit. Then he's had two injury hit seasons where he's managed just over 10 games.

What Prescott needs to do is get over this current run of picking up injury after injury every time he tries to return. If he does that then I'm confident he'd be good enough to be one of our starting props. He's incredibly underrated in my opinion. When Mossop was out injured earlier in the year he was hardly missed because Prescott was in some very good form. Unfortunately both Prescott and Mossop seemed incapable of playing in the same side.

A front row next year of Mossop, Prescott, Taylor and then one from Flower, Lauaki and Dudson should be competitive for most of the year but might lack some experience when it comes to big games.
Some excellent points. I agree with you I think he is underrated and he would be in my 17 every week.

One reason that his appearances have been low this season is the failure to diagnose one of his injuries.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

DaveO wrote: If Wigan can pull off the signing of a truly top class centre from the NRL in the current financial climate IL will be a miracle worker. I hope you are right!
Not necessarily Dave. A point made on this week's backchat was that the increase in the NRL salary cap effectively raised the value of its existing players. The likes of Slater, Inglis, Smith etc will be able to command higher incomes from the NRL. There will still be a lot of talent who can't break into the NRL big money group but could do an excellent job in SL!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Kittwazzer wrote:
DaveO wrote: If Wigan can pull off the signing of a truly top class centre from the NRL in the current financial climate IL will be a miracle worker. I hope you are right!
Not necessarily Dave. A point made on this week's backchat was that the increase in the NRL salary cap effectively raised the value of its existing players. The likes of Slater, Inglis, Smith etc will be able to command higher incomes from the NRL. There will still be a lot of talent who can't break into the NRL big money group but could do an excellent job in SL!
But doesn't that mean average NRL centres will also be getting paid more? An increased cap ought to mean pay rises across the board.

So to tempt them here won't that mean such average players end up being what we would consider highly paid?

In any case ddtftf mentioned "top class" so wouldn't they be in the Slater pay bracket anyway?
markill

Post by markill »

DaveO wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote:
But doesn't that mean average NRL centres will also be getting paid more? An increased cap ought to mean pay rises across the board.

So to tempt them here won't that mean such average players end up being what we would consider highly paid?

In any case ddtftf mentioned "top class" so wouldn't they be in the Slater pay bracket anyway?
An increased cap can still only go so far. 'Average' NRL players who aren't necessarily a first team regular might not see the benefit because the agents of the games 'stars' will be demanding massive new deals. Those in demand or with more marketable skills will see a dispropotionately higher rise in salaries - pay rises won't go up uniform across the board and there will be some players who would do a more than decent job in Super League that might not be in NRL demand so much. NRL chairman won't pay someone more than the market rate even if they have more money to spend. For example - Man United have more money to spend than Wigan Athletic but I doubt Antonio Valencia was on a lot more when he first went to United than Wigan would have paid him (its just an example, I don't know actual figures and I'm not saying it is actually what happened). Just because you have more to spend, it doesn't mean everyone will get paid more. It depends on how in demand they are and how good their agent ins.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

markill wrote:Prescott's problem is errors. He makes decent yards, misses few tackles and I used to have the perception he gave away a few penalties, but I think this has improved.

He isn't a renowned tackle breaker or offloader, which makes his errors more notable because he isn't doing anything noticably brilliant to make up for it. Defencively solid but not a spectacular player. You do need these types of players, but I would want him to cut down his errors.

Based on 2012 stats, Taylor is more likely to make a break or offload than our current front rowers. He made a decent amount of tackles per game and misses a lower ratio than our current front rowers. The stats suggest he would make an able replacement for Lima - and we shouldn't turn our nose up at the stats because he has played against the same teams as our front row but in a worse team himself.
I beg to differ on that point Markill, as when fit Preccy has been seen to bounce players off like 'Ten Pin Skittles' unlike most other Wigan Warriors prop forwards.
A fantastic sight to see and worth the entrance fee alone.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Thanks Markill. You explained it better than me. Top NRL players will take the lion's share of the cap increase but there will still be SL quality players who aren't getting a bite. That is the area we will have to look at!