Wigans Worst No.7?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: Wigans Worst No.7?

Post by cpwigan »

Mmm, people have shrt memories. Murdoch was a decent 7 and heralded when playing for GB juniors Down Under as a brilliant prospect by Wally Lewis or someone of similar stature.

Moran was a bad fit for the Wigan team and a loose cannon off the field. Wigan signed him after his outstanding efforts in the right setting for London.

Gary Stephens did a job for us, played down under for Manly, represented GB etc

I would say the 70's halves would have been poor reflecting the standard of Wigan at that time. An ex hooker told me a nice story re Ness Flowers. He came to Wigan and like a normal Union half at the time would shout 'ball coming in' just before he fed scrums. Safe to say we lost far more scrums than the norm.

One left of field! Jason Robinson! Signed as a 7, one of our greatest ever wingers but as a 7 he was fairly mediocre.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Monie stopped Robinson being a scrum half because he had difficulty remembering the names and numbers of set moves and before anyone says that is nonsense, I was told that by a well known respected International at the time.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Whelley Warrior wrote:Monie stopped Robinson being a scrum half because he had difficulty remembering the names and numbers of set moves and before anyone says that is nonsense, I was told that by a well known respected International at the time.
Not a reason to doubt that. However, on the rare occasion he played half back, he was pretty poor in creating play.
bonbon

Post by bonbon »

For me its Dennis Moran by a country mile.
Wigan turnin Blue-My arse
The future is bright, the future is Cherry & White
ANCIENT & LOYAL 1872
Wigan RLFC not just a religion

To do list
Win World Club Challenge-2021
Win Challenge Cup-2021
Win Super League-2020
Win League Leaders Shield-2020
mickh

Post by mickh »

Thank you for correcting me Whelley, still sounds the same no matter how you spell his name, he was still useless
Mick

Ohh! Merry Christmas everybody
Good Health and Good drinking!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

mickh

Post by mickh »

Doesn't seem many Top Grade games for Moran (184) over a 7 year career, before he dropped down to the lower reaches.
Saying he could do no wrong at the Bronco's, who was the Wigan coach during his stint at Wigan?
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

Saying he could do no wrong at the Bronco's, who was the Wigan coach during his stint at Wigan?[/quote]

Agent Millward then Brian Noble. The lad was up against it from the off.
I know I criticised him earlier on this subject and, on reflection, I think I'm out of order. Civilised debate is fine but I don't think the lad deserves to be pilloried, and he is copping some flak.
matty_warrior

Post by matty_warrior »

moran or matty johns he was alright at london but when he came to wigan he was no were near as good
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Matty Johns was a Stand Off