Wire match

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Kittwazzer

Re: Wire match

Post by Kittwazzer »

Southern Softy wrote:Surely the crux is - either we are worryingly bad or the team picked was so unbalanced that the whole escapade was pointless (no pun intended). What's the point of having pre-season matches if we don't put a side together that is likely to play together to get game time experience?

It won't help young players to be sent out against a full-strength side - get nilled and be judged on that.

And should we be worried that Sam hasn't had a minute on the pitch before the season begins.

I can't recall a more bizarre pre-season in recent history.
Certainly causing me concern. Maybe he has outgrown lil ol' Wigan and will now only make guest appearances?
markill

Post by markill »

Kittwazzer wrote:
Southern Softy wrote:
And should we be worried that Sam hasn't had a minute on the pitch before the season begins.
Certainly causing me concern. Maybe he has outgrown lil ol' Wigan and will now only make guest appearances?
Does anyone know of any reason why we should be thinking Sam doesn't want to play? I haven't seen any suggestion that he is unhappy with his position at the club (for now), but I know others are closer to the 'inner circle'.

I just see it that he finished last year not 100% and later than most of the squad so there is no point running him out in pre-season games if we don't have to. Its a long season and we need him in as good a nick as possible from June / July onwards, not up to that time like last year.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Maybe its just me, but I never thought launching him into the stratosphere would be in Wigan's best interests.

Too much of a parallel with George Best!
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Kittwazzer wrote:Maybe its just me, but I never thought launching him into the stratosphere would be in Wigan's best interests.

Too much of a parallel with George Best!
I was talking with my mate the other day and I feel while rugby league need stars Sam is becoming a little to involved with the celebrity side of life I feel like he is still young and I'd like him to concentrate on his rugby for a while
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wes

Post by Wes »

Can't win! People want him protected yet when he is he shouldn't be a celebrity and do good for his game.

People want league to expand and overtake other sports well I'm sorry but in order to do so like other sports we need celebrities.

Do people think the Sam/Wiggins advert is good for our game?

Would the ad have happened without Sam?

I'm gutted we where billed by Wire and in all honesty our pre season has been shaky to say the least but is that Sams fault for not playing or even dare I say it Wanes fault for not playing him, he's a good player but surely we are not a 1 man team?!?!
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

It certainly wasn't meant to be a criticism of Sam who is a genuinely great player and seems to be a pretty grounded sort of guy.
The worry for me was that even a great player needs time on the pitch to be match-fit and to link with new players for the benefit of the team.
I'm beginning to be a bit concerned that he's either carrying a new injury or hasn't completely recovered from last season's problem.
He's always wanted to play all the time for Wigan in the past and I can't see why he shouldn't have played unless he's not 100%.
Wigan_forever1985

I also wasnt meaning it to come across as a critism of Sam by any strech and i do believe he has done a great job at promoting our game. However the RFL seem to be pinning everything media wise on Sam and im just worried he could end up spreading himself a little thin with Wigan being the one's who suffer in the end.

Havng said that his performances havent slipped as yet so maybe only cause for concern when they do.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wes

Post by Wes »

Fair point trouble is we don't have too many players who's a as talented and b as cheeky as him to become friends with all of these other sporting stars in the first place.

Roby would make a good profile to be marketed but he's too quiet, who else could we use? Any ideas?
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:I also wasnt meaning it to come across as a critism of Sam by any strech and i do believe he has done a great job at promoting our game. However the RFL seem to be pinning everything media wise on Sam and im just worried he could end up spreading himself a little thin with Wigan being the one's who suffer in the end.

Havng said that his performances havent slipped as yet so maybe only cause for concern when they do.
ryan hall was on soccer AM on sat and came across well
Wigan_forever1985

29wes28 wrote:Fair point trouble is we don't have too many players who's a as talented and b as cheeky as him to become friends with all of these other sporting stars in the first place.

Roby would make a good profile to be marketed but he's too quiet, who else could we use? Any ideas?
There are a clutch of young stars coming through and older heads that maybe used. Ryan Hall as one person mention is extremely literate if a little dull, Josh and Zak were tremendously funny on their youtube show.

Sam makes for good PR because he is a good role model and he comes across really genuine and is a world class star - i just hope that the RFL dont burn him out on Media commitments