Wigan v Wire

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: Wigan v Wire

Post by cpwigan »

The format of SL argument will rumble on BUT to the players out there tonight the game mattered. The points were actually unimportant. The Wigan players were stood up and counted and gained huge self belief and confidence from doing so.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Drop goal drama does not please Smith

Warrington Wolves rescue point but Tony Smith wants to see improvements

WOLVES boss Tony Smith cut a frustrated figure in the post-match press conference despite watching his side snatch a late draw during a tense finale at the DW Stadium.

While Lee Briers’ 77th minute drop goal might have ensured that Warrington returned home with a share of the points and their six-match unbeaten league run against Warriors in tact, Smith was disappointed more than satisfied by his side’s late rescue mission.

“A draw is ok, I’m not going to go home and kick the dog just yet,” he said.

“It was pleasing that we found a way not to lose it after we went behind, but I don’t think we controlled the game like we should have done.

“I thought they were better than us in the first half, they controlled the game and the speed of the play-the-ball much better than us on the ground.

“They were quicker when they had the ball and we were slower.

“They out-enthused us in the first half, but in the second we showed control for patches of the game as well.”

In a game littered with handling errors and frequent penalties, Wolves did well to find themselves ahead after minutes of the second half when Richie Myler produced a superb zig-zag run to beat three Warriors to the line.

A brace of first-half tries from Joel Monaghan had kept Wolves in touch after Wigan had gone ahead through Josh Charnley and Ben Flower, with the hosts good value for the 12-10 advantage at the break after a dominant first half performance.

Wolves, too, had their chance to craft a decisive lead in the second half when persistent penalty infringements threatened to break Wigan’s resolve, but Warrington’s usually sparkling attacking play never quite materialised during a performance that had all the hallmarks of one coming early in the long Super League season.

Not that this affected the spectacle, as the 18,000-strong crowd were treated to a brilliantly tense 17-17 finish thanks to the exchange of drop goals from Matty Smith and Briers in the final moments.

For Smith, however, a tense ending does not always mean a quality game.

“I thought it was intense, it definitely held the interest of everybody here because of the scoreline,” he said.

“I think I have seen better quality games in terms of skill and offload, but it was one of those real intense games and with almost 20,000 people it helped create atmosphere.

“It shows what we can do as a sport when we have competitive games, it would just be great to have those every week.”

But there were some positives to take from the match, not least the notion that Richie Myler may well be in for a big year after once again demonstrating that he can be lethal when taking on the line.

The combination of pace and nimble footwork from the scrum half left three Wigan players grasping at thin air, and Smith believes there may well be more of that to come from a player who will likely be fighting for a World Cup place at the end of the season.

“Richie is developing aspects of his game and he is becoming more of a threat not only as a team player and passer of the ball but also running with it,” he said.

“I think he finished the back end of last year like that, too.

“He is getting better and devloping aspects of his game and that is what we’re about at our place.

“We know individuals will and we know the team will get better as the year goes on.”

http://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/spo ... 218272._/?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

"I thought they were better than us in the first half, they controlled the game and the speed of the play-the-ball much better than us on the ground.

“They were quicker(ie younger) when they had the ball and we were slower(ie older)."

Why doesn't he just accept it! :lol:
stevethegas

Post by stevethegas »

Watching the game from the East Stand and again on replay after getting home, it strikes me that we were very unlucky not to win, and the Wire were very lucky to get a draw. Their second try was about as lucky as you can get after Atkins clearly took Charnley out as he tried to catch the ball. Should have been a penalty to us.

Anyway, the new young team did themselves and us all proud. A great game and a great advert for Rugby League.

All the talk and predictions beforehand were for a Warrington win, but actually they weren't as good on the night. Like I say they were lucky to get a draw, and we were very unlucky not to win.
Stevethegas
bonnieboy

Post by bonnieboy »

On Betfred Wigan got two start i know i had £30 on them, back £57-27,i had the same bet last week against Salford.The young lads that played did Wigan proud,but i think they could do with another big forward,once Hansen and Luauki are back i think they will be a force to be reckoned with.
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

cpwigan wrote:The format of SL argument will rumble on BUT to the players out there tonight the game mattered. The points were actually unimportant. The Wigan players were stood up and counted and gained huge self belief and confidence from doing so.
I'd agree with the value of the game for the players self confidence. Even without the benefit of a draw, the heroic defence was Madge-like in it's energetic vigour and set down a marker.

My expectations for the season were tempered, but have gone up considerably after that showing.

Crede quod habes et habes. :roll:
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

bonnieboy wrote:On Betfred Wigan got two start i know i had £30 on them, back £57-27,i had the same bet last week against Salford.The young lads that played did Wigan proud,but i think they could do with another big forward,once Hansen and Luauki are back i think they will be a force to be reckoned with.
I have a sneaking feeling Burke will be the big newcomer this season following in the footsteps of Sam, Faz & Josh!
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

Driving back home to the Midlands last night I was rather elated that the so called experts had been made to look rather damned silly.Gutted that the result was not the one I was hoping for but absolutely thrilled by the gutsy performance of our boys.Several players stood out for me non more so than Micky Mac,Matty Smith,Lockers and most of all Liam Farrell who seemed to be involved with every tackle on the damned field.The combination of Smith and Green is still in it;s infancy but on the evidence of last nights game it will flourish.Well done to the team as a whole. :D
BriH

Post by BriH »

cherry.pie wrote:What a fantastic game that was. The attitude from the players was really impressive and they didn't seem to lose composure in the same way they did last year.

Obviously games this early in the season mean very little but it was just good to see the players really fighting hard against a bigger and much more experienced pack.

Liam Farrell is a bloody machine! Once again he just never stopped. His work rate is outstanding, he's improved his aggression in defence and he's getting more of an opportunity to showcase his attacking skills.

Smith and Green combined very well and it was great to see someone who can actually kick a bloody drop goal!

Goulding was fantastic, Thornley continues to impress and the entire pack really dug deep. I also thought Greg Burke did well on his debut. He made some excellent tackles and it probably helped that Hughes couldn't return because Burke was a little stronger defensively.

The only player who didn't have a particularly good game was Pat Richards, which is pretty rare.

*Edit - Tomkins wasn't too great either.
Great summary of the game cherry.pie. Considering we have a new half-back pairing and a young pack I thought they did themselves proud! Can't wait for the next match! All they need to do now (to make me happy) is to beat Leeds (2x) and the Nasties (2x) and then the Wire and....beat everybody in the Cup and the Grand Final and......
Ok, I'll shut up! But you get my drift! :) :) :) :)
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Sam was heavily policed last night as I expected him to be. And if he'd pulled the same stunt as Hodgson or Atkins, he'd never have heard the end of it!