Storm name strong team for PROBIZ World Club Challenge

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Storm name strong team for PROBIZ World Club Challenge

Post by josie andrews »

Melbourne Storm have named a 19-man squad for Friday’s PROBIZ World Club Challenge against Leeds Rhinos at Headingley Carnegie Stadium (8.00pm)

Storm coach Craig Bellamy has named a strong line-up to take on the Rhinos in the world title decider, which will see the two teams contest for the World Club Challenge for the third time against each other.

The Melbourne starting line includes Australia and Queensland captain Cameron Smith, Kangaroos Cooper Cronk and Billy Slater and England stand-off Gareth Widdop. Bellamy has named a six-man bench which will be cut to four on Friday.

Melbourne Storm team in full:

1. Billy Slater
2. Mahe Fonua
3. Justin O’Neill
4. Will Chambers
5. Sisa Waqa
6. Gareth Widdop
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Cameron Smith (C)
10. Bryan Norrie
11.Tohu Harris
12. Ryan Hoffman
13. Ryan Hinchcliffe
Interchange (from):
Jason Ryles
Brett Finch
Siosaia Vave
Junior Moors
Kenneath Bromwich
Lagi Setu

http://www.superleague.co.uk/article/27 ... -team-for?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Storm name strong team for PROBIZ World Club Challenge

Post by josie andrews »

World Club Challenge: Cameron Smith eyes Kevin Sinfield duel

Melbourne Storm pivot Cameron Smith is relishing another head-to-head with Leeds Rhinos captain Kevin Sinfield in Friday's World Club Challenge fixture.

Kangaroos skipper Smith, 29, will lead the 2012 NRL winners against Sinfield's Super League holders in the third WCC meeting between the clubs.

"Kevin is a great competitor," Smith told BBC Radio Leeds.
"I enjoy watching the way he plays his football and I'm sure he'll be at the forefront on Friday."

The rivalry, albeit a friendly one, has been nurtured by two players at the top of their game at domestic and international level.

Smith missed Melbourne's 2008 defeat by the Rhinos through the birth of his first child, but returned to lead the NRL champions to victory at Elland Road in 2010.
Smith on the business and pleasure of a rugby tour

"Speaking of my personal experience, I really enjoy coming here to play, the atmosphere is something you don't get in Australia.

"We get big crowds, big stadiums that get filled out, but the songs the fans sing and the applause you get for good play is a bit different to back home.

"When I was a young guy watching the touring Kangaroos come here and play at all these grounds, it's something I wanted to be a part of.

"Outside of football, half of the players have never been to Europe before, one of our staff members has never been before, he's never seen Buckingham Palace or London Bridge.

"This might be the only trip we get, everyone's embraced it so far."
He also had the upper hand with Australia against England on that same ground in the 2011 Four Nations Final, but the Dally M hooker of the year for last season was pipped to the Golden Boot by Sinfield, 32, in 2012.

"The times I've come up against him there's never been any hard feelings, it's well deserved, he's been a terrific player for a long time now," Smith added.

"He's been a great leader for Leeds and England, he's captained them to six Grand Final wins which is a pretty special thing to do."

Despite the Brisbane-born playmaker's experience of British venues with club and country, Friday night under the Headingley lights is unchartered territory.

Manly felt the force of a partisan Leeds crowd in last year's competition, although Smith is excited rather than intimidated by the prospect.

"I spoke to Kieran Foran [Manly half-back] about the game and he said it's a hostile environment," he continued.
"I walked out on the ground before for some photos and I can believe it, the crowd are right on top of you.

"That's what makes it so special for Australian teams coming here because we don't get that, we've got a lot of space between us and the crowd, but it's something we need to enjoy.

"We need to enjoy going out there and having the crowd getting into us and singing their songs because if you don't it has an effect on the way we play.

"If we go out there and are positive about the way we play, usually you go alright."

Smith was talking to BBC Radio Leeds' Gareth Jones.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/21516922?
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Richymac

WCC

Post by Richymac »

Who does everyone think will win I am going Melbourne but can't rule out a miracle
Matthew

Re: WCC

Post by Matthew »

I don't know who is going to win, Melbourne look some way off match fitness - however I hope they do - I can't stand the whinoes, especially whiner in chief sinfield
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
jobo

Post by jobo »

:o Usually want any English team to beat foreigners but when the crowd stated on that yerksheer chant the storm deserved it just because of that
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

I think the small win was only as a result of Melbourne having no pre-match warm up game and their lack of match fitness

Otherwise.....
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

ste lord

Post by ste lord »

josie andrews wrote:[IMG]http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg36 ... 86dca5.jpg[/IMG]

Well done Storm :)
Great result ,

Hope Cronk and Smith take " Sir kev" out their pockets before they get on the plane to go home ????

Keep Wigan "Wigan"

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Could that 'Cameron Who?' placard have made Sinfield's award of the Golden Boot look any more ridiculous? :with:
ste lord

Post by ste lord »

Kittwazzer wrote:Could that 'Cameron Who?' placard have made Sinfield's award of the Golden Boot look any more ridiculous? :with:
Just goes to show .. No matter how many awards the RFL give their Whinos they will never have any class

Keep Wigan "Wigan"