your 3 all time wigan heros

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
deanog

Re: Re: Re: Re: your 3 all tim...

Post by deanog »

Heros:

1. Gene Miles - when he got match fit he was the best player I have seen wearing the cherry and white, simple as that.

2. Gary Connolly - arguably the best centre in the world for ten years. Strongest arms in RL and the best player Stains have ever produced which makes him even more of a hero for seeing the light!!!

3. Andy Gregory - leaving his scrum-half talent aside you have to admire a man who was prepared in any game to have a go at the biggest opposition player and more often than not handed out a beating.

Honourable mentions - Billy Boston (too young to see him play unfortunately), Dean Bell, Cowie, Panapa, Botica, Skerett....
DaveO

Re: your 3 all time wigan hero....

Post by DaveO »

AJ posted:

I know it is hard for everyone, but it certaintly brings back many wonderful memories whilst trying to narrow it down!
You're telling me its hard. At least its not just who is your one all time great. That is impossible.

1 Shaun Edwards - pure dedication to the cause and a great player to boot.

2 Dean Bell. Hard as nails, top professional.

3 Frano. Monie wanted to sign Phil Blake but had to admit Boticas signing was good for Wigan - so if Monie changes his mind - he must be good.

Others I would have included if it was the top "n" players - Hanley, Gregory, Connolly, Andy Platt, Kevin Iro, Nicky Kiss, Martin Dermott, Ian Potter, McGinty, Inga and last but not least Offiah.

Its impossible after all isn't it? We are a very lucky bunch of supporters to have seen this lot (those of us who are old enough!)

Dave
DaveO

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: your 3 all...

Post by DaveO »

deanog posted:
Heros:

3. Andy Gregory - leaving his scrum-half talent aside you have to admire a man who was prepared in any game to have a go at the biggest opposition player and more often than not handed out a beating.
Got to agree about that. I well remember during the mission imposible season the 18 all draw with Bradford him taking on one of their huge props twice his size. Lam reminds me of him except Lam just tackles 'em as opposed to smacks 'em.

Dave
warriorjon

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: your 3...

Post by warriorjon »

1 Sean Edwards need i say more?

2. Gene Miles the best centre i have evr had the grace to see everytime he got the ball he either looked like scoring or even better taking on the opposition centre, wing, full back and anyone else who cared to join in and still see his arm pop out of all of them and drop the perfect pass into the arms of Offiah. How i wish there was a centre of his making in the wigan team now! In have never seen a player make such an impact in a season. Arguably the most talented centre i have ever seen a wing mans dream.

3. Ellery Hanley. Consumate professional brilliant tactition fantastic ability to read the game.

An agonising choice but brought back some tremendous memories!
BIG AL

Re: your 3 all time wigan hero...

Post by BIG AL »

Martin Offia
This guy brightend up the dullest game with his ability to go the full lenghth of the pitch
Henry Paul
Just a brilliant player at Full back Centre Stand off and could kick as well .I still cant beleive we let him go
Frano Botica
Under rated player but what confidance he gave the fans in a tight game when you needed a late kick to win the game
AnDy WiGaN WaRrIoR

Re: Re: Re: your 3 all time wi...

Post by AnDy WiGaN WaRrIoR »

here goes......

1.shaun edwards
2.billy boston
3.andy gregory
Pedro the Exile

Post by Pedro the Exile »

In no particular order:
1)-Hanley-basically the finest rugby player I have ever had the priviledge to watch(any code,any country)-plus who else do you know who can run the equivaleny of 100 meteres in about 15 seconds but running sideways.
2)Bell-the ultimate warrior.I wish you could bottle whatever it was that drove him on the field & give it to the whole team-you just wouldn't lose a match-ever.
3)Skerrett-abiding memories of our Kel pounding up the touchline with his jaw smashed to bits trying to exact revenge on Dean Sampson.No one ever messed with the Wigan team when he was on the field.
Close runners up-Boston,-ever seen anyone run through people like that
Ashton-pure class
Farrell-100% Wigan
scholesjohn

Re: Re: your 3 all time wigan ...

Post by scholesjohn »

1. Dean Bell - Obvious like so many other posts he is the consumate professional & never took a backward step

2.Gene Miles - The greatest centre EVER (sorry inga fans - close second). He was absolutely brilliant

Kris Radlinski - How can you miss out the most inspirational full back ( sorry Mr Hampson) in Wigan history , the lad is nothing short of brilliant RE: Challenge Cup 2002.
Ellie from the Block!

Re: your 3 all time wigan hero...

Post by Ellie from the Block! »

Crickey that's a difficult one!!!!!

Sean Edwards - technically in a class of his own! Absolutely the finest player to play at Central Park (in my humble opinion)

Frano Botica - Could probably manage a drop goal from outside of the stadium.

Dean Bell - Hard as nails...if anyone watched him having stiches in his face on that TV programme Up and Under then you'll know why!
pk

Post by pk »

1. hanley - quite how he isnt everybodys number 1 im not sure, revolutionised gb rl and attitudes towards it, took us all into the professional era, he could probably do 80 mins now

2. robinson - even though he sold out he was fantastic

3. connolly - 100% consistent, strongest arms!