New Signing.

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
josie andrews

Re: New Signing.

Post by josie andrews »

lcharnock2 wrote:On Twitter now, Sale Sharks have finally confirmed the deal, 3 year deal.
I've been thru their Tweets & on their official site & it doesn't mention it anywhere?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
lcharnock2

Post by lcharnock2 »

josie andrews wrote:
lcharnock2 wrote:On Twitter now, Sale Sharks have finally confirmed the deal, 3 year deal.
I've been thru their Tweets & on their official site & it doesn't mention it anywhere?
@bbcradiomanc: Sale Sharks confirm Andy Powell will leave the club at the end of the season and sign for Wigan Warriors. Wigan say "no comment" on story.

Also, a sale sharks journalist @NathMiddleton: Sale Sharks confirm that Andy Powell (@andypowell8) will leave the club at the end of the season to join Wigan Warriors #rugbyleague

@NathMiddleton: Diamond: "Andy has signed for 3 years. He's a good player and been a good stalwart for Sale but was time for both parties to move away."

I presume diamond is their owner/chief exec?
markill

Post by markill »

BBC Sportsday is saying this:

"1313:
RUGBY UNION
Sale Sharks director of rugby Steve Diamond tells BBC Radio Manchester that Wales international Andy Powell will switch rugby codes at the end of the season to join Super League leaders Wigan Warriors.

"Andy won't be with us next year," said Diamond. "He's signed for Wigan for three years, although I don't know the in-depth details of the contract."

Wigan have yet to confirm any deal has been completed and declined to comment on the story when contacted by BBC Radio Manchester."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/22075724
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Wes

Post by Wes »

I kind of agree with handing him a chance if Preccy and Luaki leave, IMO we need a blend of youth and experience. Preccy is one of our oldest props with Luaki.

If they don't leave then that's where the kind of agree turns into not agreeing.

Many people say Powell is one of if not the most skilful 8 in union if that is the case then I don't see why he can't hit the ground running and who's to say we can't play him at SR, a lot of rumours where saying H to NZ warriors.

He doesn't have to be a Hanley just has to be good and committed, if he's an enforcer and can mix it up in defence then all the better.

My reasoning is surrounded by a lot of ifs and buts but at the least we could be looking at the club covering gaps to relieve our youth and help bring them on especially if the rumours surrounding Mossop are true.

At the moment using the rumours we have:-
Out - hock Mossop luaki H and possibly Prescott.

In - Powell.

If we use him with the youth not instead of them then I am prepared to see what he can do because let's face it experienced forwards with a talent who want to move clubs are not 10 a penny.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

29wes28 wrote:I kind of agree with handing him a chance if Preccy and Luaki leave, IMO we need a blend of youth and experience. Preccy is one of our oldest props with Luaki.

If they don't leave then that's where the kind of agree turns into not agreeing.

Many people say Powell is one of if not the most skill SR in union
If that is even half true, then this bit doesn't add up:

Diamond: "Andy has signed for 3 years. He's a good player and been a good stalwart for Sale but was time for both parties to move away."

There is a nasty smell lingering about this. And I know Wigan are not quick with their announcements but it seems the world and his dog have confirmed this with the club resolutely silent on the matter!

BTW, is it the same Steve Diamond who played centre to Keith Fielding when Salford were a decent side?
Wes

Post by Wes »

mickw wrote:I agree we need youth and experience but he has non of those.
He has age and experience in a sporting background of playing at the highest level in his sport, youth would look up to him if he is a model professional, certain players can cut the mustard at both codes he is one of the more likely to do so, I'm not saying he will or that hell be a good addition but he could be, if he couldn't then surely we wouldn't be looking.

Like I say I'm not completely sold however with the possible players allready rumoured to be leaving we would need somebody and which forwards available for next year are world beaters?

If he comes across and has a good go and can prove to be a decent addition then that should be enough for the likes of Flower Dudson Taylor Burke Crosby Spencer and Hughes to get a good foothold on SL. This is not about replacing them but more to do with not rushing and forcing their growth as players.

Our youth are doing an immense job but we could be at risk of burning them out, IMO with said rumours and SoL ageing our future pack is Crosby Mickey Taylor Tuson Hughes Farrell with Flower Dudson Spencer and Burke in the wings.

Is that pack ready yet to play week in week out and compete at the highest level? A few more years off SoL and a couple of other elder statesmen then its there for the taking.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

if you youtube search him you have a selection of 2 clips of him playing;

clip 1: him putting a big hit on someone - illegal hit though

clip 2: a round up of his mistakes in a game against italy in which he was awful

:eh:
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:if you youtube search him you have a selection of 2 clips of him playing;

clip 1: him putting a big hit on someone - illegal hit though

clip 2: a round up of his mistakes in a game against italy in which he was awful

:eh:
Would that hit be illegal in our game, it wasn't a shoulder charge! For me it was the type of body check that Dennis Boyd made his name with!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_rZvzDtDHw
markill

Post by markill »

OptaJonny (the Opta rugby stats twitter feed for both rugby codes) said he is top four for offloads of all forwards in the premiership this season. Not saying he will be a good signing because of that, but I thought it was a worthwhile stat to bring up.

Its an good skill to have in RL, and not something our forwards are the most profilfic at - we've fewer offlaods than any club other tahn Salford this year and Dudson has most for a prop with 4 according to Super League website. I know it isn't a fundamental part of our game plan and we score plenty without it, but against better defenses offlaods are more useful to break through and score tries (think Lockers one vs Wire for example) - we've struggled scoring tries against the top teams so far this year (admittedly without Sam in 2 of the 3 games that we've struggled in)
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

lcharnock2 wrote:
josie andrews wrote:
@bbcradiomanc: Sale Sharks confirm Andy Powell will leave the club at the end of the season and sign for Wigan Warriors. Wigan say "no comment" on story.

Also, a sale sharks journalist @NathMiddleton: Sale Sharks confirm that Andy Powell (@andypowell8) will leave the club at the end of the season to join Wigan Warriors #rugbyleague

@NathMiddleton: Diamond: "Andy has signed for 3 years. He's a good player and been a good stalwart for Sale but was time for both parties to move away."

I presume diamond is their owner/chief exec?
Thank you for that :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan