Maggie Thatcher

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
Kiwiseddon

Re: Maggie Thatcher

Post by Kiwiseddon »

I find this thread very interesting. I was not old enough to really appreciate the damage Thatcher did but have been told in no uncertain terms by my Dad and Uncle just what a disaster she was.
I have been debating the issue on Facebook etc and have not heard of a subject that causes such division.
I'd missed the whole of thread somehow but find myself reading it and hearing the views of those from a Northern mining town who's views i respect.
From my point of view it's very interesting to hear just how little sympathy there is for her from you guys and I agree wholeheartedly.

I for one would not celebrate her death as her death is insignificant to me. However, I completely understand those who will very happily open that special bottle of wine to mark the occasion. All this sanctimonious bull**** that people should respect the dead is laughable. Well may be Thatcher should have respected the living. The communites she desecrated or the Argentinian sailors she murdered.
So quite frankly **** her.

There's a very good reason that "Ding dong the witch is dead" will be number one come Saturday.
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Kittwazzer wrote:On the news, Whelan is asking for a minutes silence at Wembley on Saturday.

Good Luck with that Dave! :roll:
He may get his wish given that the Latics are struggling to sell tickets. Perhaps Whelan needs to remember the Wigan was once a proud mining town instead of grandstanding.

MOD: removed sentence - legally dubious.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

wink wrote:This post is offensive. This is supposed to be a rugby site. Politics have no place here. If you wish to air your views, please use Facebook or Twitter. Josie, as administrator please remove this topic.
The topic is posted in the Off Topic area, where people can talk about what they like, politics is not excluded.

IMO there is nothing offensive in there, people are expressing fairly mainstream opinions reflecting the debate going on nationally right now.

Also, nothing is legal problematic.

Wink: please don't address public complaints to individual moderators. Use the Reporting function to report threads that you believe to be inappropriate to all the moderators. Thanks.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

cpwigan wrote:

Must admit, I was surprised by his comment but then again, my dad wasn't a miner and my family did not suffer during that period. I know many who did and would have concurred. She did so much damage.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Apologies - missed it i :blush:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
BriH

Post by BriH »

Oh, and she shook hands withe the Fascist Dictator, General August Pinochet who murdered approx. 5,000 of his own people.
Above all else, that one fact defines her for me.
RIP
jobo

Post by jobo »

Fujiman wrote:
jobo wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Good riddance!
One thing we definitely agree on.

Apparently, she's to receive a state funeral, similar to the queens mum. Beggars belief.
Don't think its a state funeral but a ceremonial one. Do you think Mark will get lost going to the funeral?
This is a good article from surprisingly the Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... stake.html

Think the queen is showing her true colours and they aren't red.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Kittwazzer wrote:
cpwigan wrote:

Must admit, I was surprised by his comment but then again, my dad wasn't a miner and my family did not suffer during that period. I know many who did and would have concurred. She did so much damage.
Would not normally wish ill health or death on anybody KW but half my family were once miners.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion but IMO it beggars belief that anybody but the richest 5% of the population and those primarily from London / South think they gained anything let alone get treated fairly by Thatcher et al.

Lest people forget the euphoria across the nation when Labour under Blair finally defeated the Torys. Sadly, Labour proved the point that all politicians pee in the same pot and are as corrupt as whomever irrespective of their party. Labour blew it. So did the TU leaders.

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I have said it for years.

Your politicians, union leaders, local council members are all in it to line their own pockets & nothing else, they don't do it for nothing :(

Even the RFL are corrupt :wink:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Ron Doran

Post by Ron Doran »

josie andrews - Wrong.
I was a Liberal Parish Councilor representing Diggle and Dobcross in Saddleworth.
It cost me time and money, but the pleasure of looking after other peoples interests outweighed this.
E.& O.E.