New player

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Suzieb

New player

Post by Suzieb »

Can i ask mr wane why are you signing a 31yr old Andy Powell when you have got fantastic up and coming lads they have served you well over the last few weeks .Come on Shaun dont throw them on the scrapheap
DaveO

Re: New player

Post by DaveO »

Suzieb wrote:Can i ask mr wane why are you signing a 31yr old Andy Powell when you have got fantastic up and coming lads they have served you well over the last few weeks .Come on Shaun dont throw them on the scrapheap
If Powell does sign I'd give Wane some credit and suggest it wasn't up to him.

Unfortunately if Powell is signed and the decision to do so has come from above Wane will be under pressure to play him.
Wes

Post by Wes »

I think he'll turn out to be a decent signing to help bring on our youngsters and not to hinder them, if you look at the OOC list for this year there ain't much about so it's not like anyone else can do better. The only forward I'd take who is OOC is Mickey Paea.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Agree about Paea Wes but I'm basing my opinion purely on what I saw on Saturday.

What we got from Crosby and Burke in recent weeks we can safely expect in future weeks. Probably a lot more in future years. Paea was playing for a new contract, on TV, in a cup tie. Might be another journeyman playing the system. Like Puletua?
Wes

Post by Wes »

Too true Stuey, as long as Powell is brought in to assist our youngsters then I'm all for it, the OOC list is dreadful this year and in 2-3 years I feel our young pack is ready to take SL by storm week in week out but at the moment could be at risk of burnout unless they get rests.

To also look at it from another angle, if Mossop has gone, which is looking likely then people would moan if we didn't replace him. Off the field it seems the club can't win, it could be worse, we could be Stains fans.
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

29wes28 wrote:Too true Stuey, as long as Powell is brought in to assist our youngsters then I'm all for it, the OOC list is dreadful this year and in 2-3 years I feel our young pack is ready to take SL by storm week in week out but at the moment could be at risk of burnout unless they get rests.

To also look at it from another angle, if Mossop has gone, which is looking likely then people would moan if we didn't replace him. Off the field it seems the club can't win, it could be worse, we could be Stains fans.
From what i'm reading in these threads we are as bad as Saints fans (lack of communication etc)
Wes

Post by Wes »

Don't talk wet! IFL only releases info when it's a done deal an when he feels we need to know. It's aggravating as a fan because we WANT to know everything yesterday.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

[From what i'm reading in these threads we are as bad as Saints fans (lack of communication etc)[/quote]

You have got to be having a laugh. Saints fans lives are that exiting they have filled 19 pages on there forum talking about there bl**dy stadium roof. :lol:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

29wes28 wrote:I think he'll turn out to be a decent signing to help bring on our youngsters and not to hinder them, if you look at the OOC list for this year there ain't much about so it's not like anyone else can do better. The only forward I'd take who is OOC is Mickey Paea.
On what basis do you conclude a 31 year old ex-RU player is going to be a decent signing and why would he bring on our youngsters? Just what relevant experience will be bring to the table?

As to the excuse of who is out of contract why do we actually need to sign anyone if there is no one worth signing?

Also I am always being told contracts are worthless and so surely we have our pick if we choose to spend the six figure sums agreed for Hock and Mossop?

He may adopt to the game as Quinnell did but he was 22 when he signed not 31. At best it will take some time and we just don't need to be signing 31 year old players of any code.

A ridiculous signing and a waste of salary cap money on a player we don't need.

Sutty

Post by Sutty »

DaveO wrote:
29wes28 wrote:I think he'll turn out to be a decent signing to help bring on our youngsters and not to hinder them, if you look at the OOC list for this year there ain't much about so it's not like anyone else can do better. The only forward I'd take who is OOC is Mickey Paea.
On what basis do you conclude a 31 year old ex-RU player is going to be a decent signing and why would he bring on our youngsters? Just what relevant experience will be bring to the table?

As to the excuse of who is out of contract why do we actually need to sign anyone if there is no one worth signing?

Also I am always being told contracts are worthless and so surely we have our pick if we choose to spend the six figure sums agreed for Hock and Mossop?

He may adopt to the game as Quinnell did but he was 22 when he signed not 31. At best it will take some time and we just don't need to be signing 31 year old players of any code.

A ridiculous signing and a waste of salary cap money on a player we don't need.
In your humble opinion, of course :wink: