New player

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: New player

Post by DaveO »

Sutty wrote:
DaveO wrote:
29wes28 wrote:I think he'll turn out to be a decent signing to help bring on our youngsters and not to hinder them, if you look at the OOC list for this year there ain't much about so it's not like anyone else can do better. The only forward I'd take who is OOC is Mickey Paea.
On what basis do you conclude a 31 year old ex-RU player is going to be a decent signing and why would he bring on our youngsters? Just what relevant experience will be bring to the table?

As to the excuse of who is out of contract why do we actually need to sign anyone if there is no one worth signing?

Also I am always being told contracts are worthless and so surely we have our pick if we choose to spend the six figure sums agreed for Hock and Mossop?

He may adopt to the game as Quinnell did but he was 22 when he signed not 31. At best it will take some time and we just don't need to be signing 31 year old players of any code.

A ridiculous signing and a waste of salary cap money on a player we don't need.
In your humble opinion, of course :wink:
Obviously. As was what 29wes28 posted. So why bother with the above reply?
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Dave, read the Serenity Prayer. You'll feel a lot better! :lol:
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

What's his age got to do with it as long as he is as fit!
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Totally agree
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

I forgot to say at the end, 'and a decent player'

Wes

Post by Wes »

DaveO wrote:
29wes28 wrote:I think he'll turn out to be a decent signing to help bring on our youngsters and not to hinder them, if you look at the OOC list for this year there ain't much about so it's not like anyone else can do better. The only forward I'd take who is OOC is Mickey Paea.
On what basis do you conclude a 31 year old ex-RU player is going to be a decent signing and why would he bring on our youngsters? Just what relevant experience will be bring to the table?

As to the excuse of who is out of contract why do we actually need to sign anyone if there is no one worth signing?

Also I am always being told contracts are worthless and so surely we have our pick if we choose to spend the six figure sums agreed for Hock and Mossop?

He may adopt to the game as Quinnell did but he was 22 when he signed not 31. At best it will take some time and we just don't need to be signing 31 year old players of any code.

A ridiculous signing and a waste of salary cap money on a player we don't need.
Quinnell, who played 39 times for Wigan after his switch from Llanelli in 1994, said: "Andy will be fantastic for them.
"He has all the skills and the attributes to be a wonderful rugby league player. He gets across the gain-line and is dynamic."
Quinnell, who played for Wales in the 1995 Rugby League World Cup, believes that Powell can also make an impact for Wales during the World Cup.
"He has five months and he will be fine," he said. "He might find it difficult going into a different environment and to understand the intricacies of rugby league.
"The hardest part is running backwards 10 metres after each tackle. But I think he will do well and Wigan will help him in every way they can."

If we have lost 2 players Dave then we should sign someone and the club has. IMO IFL is far more intelligent than you or I and this is a win win, our youngsters don't get burned out we are thinking outside the box, Wigan Warriors is now being talked about in union circles and hey as well as all that he might turn out to be a good player.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Whelley Warrior wrote:What's his age got to do with it as long as he is as fit!
Exactly and for people who thinks he has signed as a bit part player they really have got this wrong. He will be in the 1st team squad for next season or earlier if he develops this season.

One thing though in the press conference i did not realise just how big he is he mad Mossop look small. So his pre season training is going to be a shock for him.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

mickw wrote:I think its a needless signing really but he,s here now so I,ll get behind him ,if he is as dynamic as he was 3/4 years ago in rah rah then he has a chance.second row maybe?
I agree & as you say he's here, so I will support him as a Wigan Warrior & hope he does well :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
yoda warrior

Post by yoda warrior »

Looking forward to seeing him play. Seen him play a couple of times and he looked like a league player. It's a big challenge to take on at 31 but I would imagine he'll feel excited and refreshed and we may get a few good years out of him. Good news for Wales and will probably get a few more bums on seats for the Cardiff double header as well.
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

I can't weigh it up, 32 yrs old 2 yr contract, history of p*ss ups, abusing speccies RU are glad to get shut I think.

I remember the last Iron man we signed from Wales he turned out to be an embarrassment.

If he makes it I will be the first to hold my hands up