Sean’s Long road to redemption

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Sean’s Long road to redemption

Post by DaveO »

Whoever penned that headline probably knows most people will read it expecting the article to be related to Long's dubious past - not redemption from being a former Saints player.

I don't know anyone who while they recognise he was a very talented player isn't aware he has been a complete moron off the pitch. It's even documented in his own book!

Worst signing of any sort in IL's era IMO which is saying something after just signing a 31 year old RU player.

Susi

Post by Susi »

i hope he brings something good to the coaching staff i dont like nor rate him
i am prepared to give him a chance, but really dont see why we need another coach we have about 7 already.
money would be better spent towards replacing the top calibre players we are losing in my opinion
bocco

Post by bocco »

I do not want him at Wigan.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Josie

But others are!
Richymac

Post by Richymac »

As a young player You can get experience from the wealth of knowledge that he has of the game and I feel this may be a good move so let's give him a chance. And We have not yet seen what he can do for us so stop slating him already. We have all made bad decisions in life and I personally think he should be given a chance.
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

Richymac wrote:As a young player You can get experience from the wealth of knowledge that he has of the game and I feel this may be a good move so let's give him a chance. And We have not yet seen what he can do for us so stop slating him already. We have all made bad decisions in life and I personally think he should be given a chance.
He's made too many bad decisions. You don't know half. :blush:
devon jim 1

Post by devon jim 1 »

Fair comment Ridhymac. Hope he lives up to it
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Whelley Warrior wrote:Josie

But others are!
What you on about now?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Sean Long set to shine back ‘home

Sean Long’s return to Wigan has been met with a mixed reaction from Warriors’ fans.

This time next week, Longy will be back at the club where he started his career in a coaching role.

He is initially going to work with the young players but surely it’s only a matter of time before he finds himself fast-tracked into the role of assistant coach.

Longy has certainly had an impact at Salford and many Reds’ fans are disappointed to see him moving on. People speak very highly of him as a coach.

He has an astute rugby brain and is doing very well.

Long helped bring a new dimension to Salford’s attacking play last season with his tactical know-how.

As Sam Tomkins pointed out in his MEN column last week, you could see a ‘Saints style’ fluidity to Salford’s attacking options.

Wigan legend Kris Radlinski appears to have been particularly keen on bringing Longy ‘home’.

Matty Smith will no doubt be among the first to welcome Longy with open arms on his return to Wigan. They worked closely at Salford.

Smith has openly praised Longy for time spent with him fine tuning various aspects of his half-back play. Longy has been doing the same at Salford with rising French star Theo Fages and Marc Sneyd.

Some Wigan fans are surprised to see him back in the fold.

Others echo the sentiments of coach Shaun Wane who says it’s better having him on board than seeing him thrive elsewhere.

One things is for sure though – Longy is a character and the game needs such personalities.

Longy is often referred to as a likeable rogue and he has had a chequered career but his record is there for all to see and be envied.

He credits Ian Millward with being the biggest influence on his career. Millward was great for Saints but not so hot for Wigan. Long may well now shine where his mate struggled.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... g-3306754?
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Sean Long: No rift with Brian Noble, says Wigan-bound coach

Sean Long has insisted that Brian Noble's appointment as head coach of Salford has "nothing to do" with his imminent departure from the Reds.

The 36-year-old is to take up a coaching role at Wigan after Friday's game against the Warriors.

Noble was in charge of Great Britain when Long departed early from a Tri-Nations series in Australia in 2006.

"That's nothing to do with it really, or else I wouldn't still be here now," Long told BBC Radio Manchester.

He returned home from the trip seven years ago for personal reasons, although Noble was forced to deny reports of disciplinary problems.

Long said: "Myself and Brian have got on well since he's been here and I don't see why we can't carry on working.

"I'm leaving on good terms. They wanted me to carry on working for a few more weeks to help the transition from myself to Brian, which is fine."

Noble's first game at the helm ended in a 34-30 victory over Castleford on Saturday.

"Brian's definitely good enough to take Salford forward. He'll need a bit of help and I've told him that," Long added.

"It's a big job that he's taking on, but I'm sure he'll get some of his people in place to help him out over the next 18 months."

During his time with the Reds, Long served as number two to previous coaches Matt Parish and Phil Veivers, and also assisted caretaker boss Alan Hunte before Noble's appointment on 13 April.

The former St Helens scrum-half said: "I've loved every minute of it [at Salford] and I'm still enjoying it now.

"There's a great set of lads, great backroom staff and great fans. I thank them for the opportunity to get into coaching.

"I found the transition from player to coach quite difficult in the first year because I still felt I could put the boots back on, but the last six months have been really good and I've found that I've broken away from being a player. I'm definitely a coach now."

Looking ahead, Long is excited by the opportunity of rejoining Wigan - the club at which he started his playing career - as part of Shaun Wane's coaching staff.

He added: "I'll be working with individuals and hopefully will lighten the load that Shaun, Iestyn Harris and Paul Deacon have got.

"I'll be another set of eyes, but also getting the lads ready for when they come into the first team."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/22356112