Good Luck Latics!

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
Owd Codger

Re: Good Luck Latics!

Post by Owd Codger »

cpwigan wrote:Whelley, stop talking nonsense about bandwagon jumpers. You really are spouting garbage. When Wigan RLFC got out of Division 2 we had about 4000 fans so by your way of thinking we have 10,000 bandwagon fans.

I can remember when the Latics gained entry to the FL that crowds were significantly higher for the Latics. It was in part because RL even in Wigan had retreated to a few central often Catholic dominated areas but also football was an easier sell being a national game. It has always been so.

Wigan RLFC entered a fantastic period and gates swelled but not to the numbers who came to all the big games and Finals. Why should they. Football entered a dark 'hooligan' phase and the game itself became ugly. Attendances dropped dramatically.

We currently have a scenario were the combined attendances for Wigan RLFC and Wigan Athletic are at an all time high. The rugby attendances are as good as ever which suggest no bandwagon jumping. Maybe just maybe people chose what they wanted to attend because many have no pre conceived historical bias. The majority must be so because the combined attendance figures are so much greater now than they have ever been since Wigan Athletic entered the FL.

I watch plenty of games at Springfield Park, I went to Wembley for the Freight Rover Final. I have watched hundreds/thousands of RL games BUT if I want to I will support anything and everything carrying the name Wigan.

I will not be going to Wembley and I have not watched the Latics in the Prem But I wish them well because they represent MY TOWN.
4,000 in Division two compared with 18,000 in the Premier League. If that is not bandwagon jumping, you could have fooled me.

As for hooliganism, that is still as was proved a short while ago with the latest incidents at Wembley and Newcastle.

CougarDeb

Post by CougarDeb »

I can't believe how the people of Wigan cannot support a Wigan team who have made it to Wembley. I for one will be supporting them all the way. So Good Luck Latics!! :eusa3:
No Money.... No Honey
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Pity that the same level of support for the Latic's which is being made now because they have reached the FA Cup Final, was not shown in the past when they were struggling at the bottom of the Football League and Whelan had to buy them because of the lack of support and the debts.

At the time, where football was concerned, all you saw walking around Wigan town centre were people wearing United Shirts with no Blue & White in sight and which will happen again if they drop below the Championship.

The word 'Hypocrisy' applies to many in Wigan at the present time, including many at the Council.

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Whelley Warrior - from some of your posts, whether it be RL or Football, you appear to be a very bitter person IMO
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

[IMG]http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg36 ... bd4ec3.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Wigan Warriors would like to wish Roberto Martinez and Wigan Athletic the very best ahead of Saturday's 2013 FA Cup Final against Manchester City at Wembley Stadium.

Chairman Ian Lenagan said;

"It is a tremendous achievement by the Club to reach the Final and everyone at Wigan Warriors would like to pass on our best wishes to the Management, Players, Staff and Supporters of Wigan Athletic ahead of the game. It is fantastic for the Club and the Town that they have reached the FA Cup Final and I will be at Wembley on Saturday to show my support in person."

Head Coach Shaun Wane commented;

"Good luck to Wigan Athletic on Saturday, I hope the whole Club enjoys what will be a very special day. We continue our Cup campaign on Sunday at Hull KR and it would be fantastic if both Clubs could play at Wembley in 2013."

And Skipper Sean O'Loughlin added;

"Well done to the Latics on reaching the FA Cup Final and I wish the team the very best against Manchester City at Wembley on Saturday."

Pictured in the photo along with Shaun Wane and Sean O'Loughlin showing the Warriors Support for Wigan Athletic on the far left is Cllr Chris Ready - Wigan Council's Cabinet Member for Culture and Leisure and on the inside from Wigan Athletic, Chief Executive, Jonathan Jackson.

Speaking at the photo, Jonathan Jackson commented;

"It's a special time for Wigan Athletic and a special time for the town. To have the support of the Warriors as well is great and the way it should be.

"We both represent Wigan and if we can both get to Wembley this year it will be fantastic.

"The clubs should work together and it's really good to see Shaun and Sean supporting us.

"We're a sporting town, For a town of our size to be at the top of the Rugby League and in the Premier League and in the FA Cup Final, it's great for the town and everyone should be proud of that."

Cllr Chris Ready added;

"It is fantastic for the town and the borough that Wigan Athletic have reached the FA Cup Final and we all wish them well on Saturday."

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... &type=news
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Whelley you do not even understand what people are posting.

We averaged about 4000 fans in Division 2 when we became more successful, played better RL we got more people wanting to watch Wigan RLFC. Not bandwagon jumping just what happens.

Likewise, the Latics crowds went up and down to a current high. Not bandwagon jumping just people watching better football.

THE BIG POINT IS

NEVER BEFORE have more peope combined watched Wigan RL and Wigan Athletic in the same season. One is not losing fans to the other. BOTH have gained fans!!!

Hooliganism is virtually none existent in football compared to the 80's and lest we forget our so called fans at Huddersfield this season.

TRY not to be bitter and twisted. I will not be there but I hope the Latics and their fans have a great day tomorrow.
the winky one

Post by the winky one »

I can't stand football but the name of Wigan has been laughed at for long enough.Those who scoff should be ashamed.
I urge everybody to get behind them and cheer them on.
You are perfectly entitled to your opinions but just think..there could be two Wigan Wembley victories this year.

Good luck to the Warriors for Sunday also

COME ON WIGAN!

:eusa3: :eusa10:
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

Can i rely on the support of Warrior fans,as my team Brighton take on Palace t'neet in the play-off's.Ta muchly :)
bonbon

Post by bonbon »

Winky, i have owt to be ashamed of. If i was a footie fan i'd a United fan, just like me Dad. End of.
Wigan turnin Blue-My arse
The future is bright, the future is Cherry & White
ANCIENT & LOYAL 1872
Wigan RLFC not just a religion

To do list
Win World Club Challenge-2021
Win Challenge Cup-2021
Win Super League-2020
Win League Leaders Shield-2020
Fanforaday

Post by Fanforaday »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Whelley, stop talking nonsense about bandwagon jumpers. You really are spouting garbage. When Wigan RLFC got out of Division 2 we had about 4000 fans so by your way of thinking we have 10,000 bandwagon fans.

I can remember when the Latics gained entry to the FL that crowds were significantly higher for the Latics. It was in part because RL even in Wigan had retreated to a few central often Catholic dominated areas but also football was an easier sell being a national game. It has always been so.

Wigan RLFC entered a fantastic period and gates swelled but not to the numbers who came to all the big games and Finals. Why should they. Football entered a dark 'hooligan' phase and the game itself became ugly. Attendances dropped dramatically.

We currently have a scenario were the combined attendances for Wigan RLFC and Wigan Athletic are at an all time high. The rugby attendances are as good as ever which suggest no bandwagon jumping. Maybe just maybe people chose what they wanted to attend because many have no pre conceived historical bias. The majority must be so because the combined attendance figures are so much greater now than they have ever been since Wigan Athletic entered the FL.

I watch plenty of games at Springfield Park, I went to Wembley for the Freight Rover Final. I have watched hundreds/thousands of RL games BUT if I want to I will support anything and everything carrying the name Wigan.

I will not be going to Wembley and I have not watched the Latics in the Prem But I wish them well because they represent MY TOWN.
4,000 in Division two compared with 18,000 in the Premier League. If that is not bandwagon jumping, you could have fooled me.

As for hooliganism, that is still as was proved a short while ago with the latest incidents at Wembley and Newcastle.
Today Latics are averaging 19,000, if you only count home fans it's 15,500.

8 years ago in the Championship the club averaged 11,200, back when the club started playing at the DW Stadium, in the old 3rd division, they averaged 7,000.

It doesn't seem particularly exceptional for a club double it's fanbase in such a period (Dave Whelan took over in 1995), it works out at less than 500 new fans per season. Yes some seasons saw bigger leaps than others, but you only need look at the composition of Premier League crowds to see how this has changed.

In the first season up, there where people I'd never seen at Latic before, today the attendances are similar, but rather than these day trippers, their seats have been taken by the likes of my daughters, and my friends children, first generation Latics fans.

That also goes a long way to explainng why both clubs attendances are at all time highs, more Wigners are watching Wigan teams, in the past they may have gone out of town. Obviously I'm thinking more on the football side of things here, what Latics always needed was a kickstart to start the transition from following teams from outside the town, to it's hometown club.

I don't know how old everyone else is, but consider this, everyone of school going age (upto A-Level, so aged 18), will have only known Latics as an upcoming, progressive club, Springfield Park and Central Park were long knocked down before they became regular match going fans.

Incidentally, Wigan Athletics record home crowd was not set in the Premier League, it was in 1953 when 27,526 watched the team against Hereford in the FA Cup.