Sam Tomkins ?

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
ddtftf

Sam Tomkins ?

Post by ddtftf »

Just heard from an inside source that Sam has told them he is staying at Wigan. So lets watch this space
DaveO

Re: Sam Tomkins ?

Post by DaveO »

:eusa10:
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Super League: Wigan and England full-back Sam Tomkins dismisses NRL

Man of Steel Sam Tomkins says he will not be distracted by continuing speculation over his future.

The Wigan full-back is preparing in Loughborough for England's mid-season game against the international Exiles.

Tomkins is tipped to join the recent exodus to Australia's NRL as soon as next season, with New Zealand Warriors favourites to capture his prized signature.

"There are rumours everywhere," said the 24-year-old. "Everyone seems to have an opinion on where I'm going apart from me.

"I can tell you I've not signed any contract with anyone. I'm a Wigan player for the next couple of years as it stands and, if anything was to change, I'd be completely open about it.

"I am not hiding anything, I've not signed anywhere, it's speculation.

"From my point of view, I'm concentrating on playing for England and for Wigan and, if that was to change, I'd be the first to put my hand up and tell everyone."

Tomkins' England team-mates Lee Mossop and Gareth Hock are the latest players to confirm moves to Australia, where the likes of Sam Burgess and James Graham are proving huge successes.

England enforcer Gareth Ellis was a revelation in his three years with Wests Tigers before moving to Hull and former St Helens captain Graham, now in his second season with Canterbury Bulldogs, admitted Tomkins's departure would be a blow for Super League.

However, Graham revealed the switch could be good for England and said: "It's catch 22 for England with the amount of players coming out here.

"We need a strong Super League but players coming out gives them the experience of playing against top players for when they play the likes of Australia and New Zealand.

"We need the top players playing in Super League but Wigan have a lot of good young outside backs coming through and it would give an opportunity for them."

Wigan coach Shaun Wane is already preparing for life after Tomkins and gave a debut to his understudy Lewis Tierney, the 18-year-old son of former dual-code international Jason Robinson, in last Friday's 33-32 Super League win at Widnes.

Tomkins missed that game through injury but has been passed fit for Friday's game at the Halliwell Jones Stadium.

"I had a pull on my Achilles a couple of weeks ago but it's all cleared up now," he said. "I had a week off and now I'm in full training."

http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-league/ ... misses-NRL
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

"I can tell you I've not signed any contract with anyone. I'm a Wigan player for the next couple of years as it stands
This could be read as that is the length of his contract left at Wigan.

Like Dave, I do hope he stays at Wigan for the foreseeable future :)
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Kittwazzer

Re: Sam Tompkins ?

Post by Kittwazzer »

josie andrews wrote:
"I can tell you I've not signed any contract with anyone. I'm a Wigan player for the next couple of years as it stands
This could be read as that is the length of his contract left at Wigan.

Like Dave, I do hope he stays at Wigan for the foreseeable future :)
Don't we all Josie. Don't we all!
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Next two years at Wigan I am told, lets hope its true
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

His contract is until 2016, but includes a clause not to speak to other club's is until the end of of next season.

But having said the above...........
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

ddtftf wrote:Next two years at Wigan I am told, lets hope its true
Aye let's hope. I actually feel sorry for anyone we bring in as a replacement. Tierney would be OK because like Sam, he is a product of our system. Anyone else would be on a hiding to nothing. It would be Jimmy Birts all over again!
Wigan's No. 2 Fan

Post by Wigan's No. 2 Fan »

Sam had a chat with Russell Crowe in London yesterday at the Superman film premier
Wonder what they talked about when in private ?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan's No. 2 Fan wrote:Sam had a chat with Russell Crowe in London yesterday at the Superman film premier
Wonder what they talked about when in private ?

Russell Crowe appears not to have forgotten his feud with Warriors co-owner Eric Watson after advising England superstar Sam Tomkins against joining the New Zealand club. Is the buzz in the Australian NRL sports press

There is already a thread about this! (See Off Topic)

Merged your two posts as they are covering the same news!