1985 - 2013

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
MrDave

1985 - 2013

Post by MrDave »

In 1985 Wigan played Hull FC in what has been described as one of the best Challenge Cup finals. Wigan won the game 28-24. I wasn't alive in 1985 but I would be interested to know how people compare the teams from then and now.

I know that the 2013 team might not be the players who play so feel free to make comparisons between others.

Shaun Edwards vs Sam Tomkins
John Ferguson vs Josh Charnley
David Stephenson vs Darrell Goulding
Steve Donlan vs Anthony Gelling
Henderson Gill vs Pat Richards
Brett Kenny vs Blake Green
Mike Ford vs Matty Smith
Neil Courtney vs Epalahame Lauaki
Nicky Kiss vs Mike McIlorum
Brian Case vs Lee Mossop
Graeme West vs Harrison Hansen
Brian Dunn vs Liam Farrell
Ian Potter vs Sean O'Loughlin
Nezza Faz

Re: 1985 - 2013

Post by Nezza Faz »

Great post !

I'd go for the 2013 Team overall, definitely stronger Forward pack. The Backs look a more interesting comparison with XFactor players like Ferguson, Kenny and Gill up against Charnley & Sam as the modern equivalent and throw in Hampshire to the squad for good measure. Difficult to choose between the two eras.

I'd pay to watch that match.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

MrDave wrote:In 1985 Wigan played Hull FC in what has been described as one of the best Challenge Cup finals. Wigan won the game 28-24. I wasn't alive in 1985 but I would be interested to know how people compare the teams from then and now.

I know that the 2013 team might not be the players who play so feel free to make comparisons between others.

Shaun Edwards vs Sam Tomkins
John Ferguson vs Josh Charnley
David Stephenson vs Darrell Goulding
Steve Donlan vs Anthony Gelling
Henderson Gill vs Pat Richards
Brett Kenny vs Blake Green
Mike Ford vs Matty Smith
Neil Courtney vs Epalahame Lauaki
Nicky Kiss vs Mike McIlorum
Brian Case vs Lee Mossop
Graeme West vs Harrison Hansen
Brian Dunn vs Liam Farrell
Ian Potter vs Sean O'Loughlin
I was at that game and the only ones of the current team I would swap would be Sam, Faz and Lockers, Sam at fullback with Edwards at SH.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

I was there and few of our current team would make the lineup in 1985 IMO.

Some are IMO on a par but would by no means be automatic choices over their 1985 counterparts.

I would say the centres and half backs in 85 were far better than 2013. Brett Kenny could still probably outplay Green!

On the wing Gill was faster than Richards is now and kicked goals (from one side of the pitch with Stephenson form the other - worked a treat). Ferguson is just a legend IMO.

Sam and Edwards is a tough one. I think that is a 50/50 call. Maybe Sam gets it but full back then was different so whether he could have played full back in 1985 is an interesting question. Same for Edwards going the other way but on that score I think Edwards would adapt better to today's game being a half back anyway.

1985 front row is better though MM v Kiss is another 50/50 but again the hooking role was different but both are as hard as nails. We could really do with a Brian Case clone in 2013.

In the 2nd row West and H are on a par and I'd give the nod to Faz over Dunn. At loose Potter was an excellent player but Lockers is currently world class so that's easy.

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

So pretty much same as me Dave. My only other suggestion would be ANYBODY from todays team replacing Danny Campbell on the bench! :lol:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Kittwazzer wrote:So pretty much same as me Dave. My only other suggestion would be ANYBODY from todays team replacing Danny Campbell on the bench! :lol:
:lol: Yeah he wasn't the best was he!

southernpie

Post by southernpie »

I'd have the 85 team but with Lockers in for Ian Potter, H and West in second row together, Sam at FB and Giz at 7. As DaveO says hooker is 50/50 so I'd probably have Micky Mac on the bench.
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#
RobWigan

Post by RobWigan »

Mcilorum over Nicky Kiss definently for me
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Very different game then so it makes comparisons most difficult. You are also often comparing players at different stages in their careers. Edwards v Tomkins for example. Charnley v Ferguson is another.

HOWEVER;

Shaun Edwards
John Ferguson
Josh Charnley
Sam Tomkins
Henderson Gill
Brett Kenny
Mike Ford
Brian Case
Mike McIlorum
Lee Mossop
Harrison Hansen
Ian Potter
Sean O'Loughlin

RESERVES

Graeme West
Liam Farrell
Darrell Goulding
Pat Richards
phild1

Post by phild1 »

if I could put my choice from 2013 into 1985 would be LIAM F;AND SEAN O.NO PLACE FOR SAM;EDWARDS DEFENCE WINS MY VOTE :D