Can we be clear what Wanes tactics that we don't like are?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
the winky one

Re: Can we be clear what Wanes tactics that we don't like...

Post by the winky one »

I don't have a strong opinion about tactics although at times they are a bit baffling...but then that's why I'm not a coach and Wane is... we seem to have a sort of brain explosion sometimes for 20 minutes or so, when everything we try falls apart.

It's been going on for a while and you find yourself thinking.."What on earth are they doing"?

Someone said that Sam has been disciplined..has anybody else heard that?because leaving him out constantly only fuels the rumour.

And also is there any talk of trying to find a recognised goal kicker to replace Pat?..I think they are invaluable.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

the winky one wrote:I don't have a strong opinion about tactics although at times they are a bit baffling...but then that's why I'm not a coach and Wane is... we seem to have a sort of brain explosion sometimes for 20 minutes or so, when everything we try falls apart.

It's been going on for a while and you find yourself thinking.."What on earth are they doing"?

Someone said that Sam has been disciplined..has anybody else heard that?because leaving him out constantly only fuels the rumour.

And also is there any talk of trying to find a recognised goal kicker to replace Pat?..I think they are invaluable.
Know Sam was injured - Club made huge attempts and spent a fortune mid-week to get him fit. Improved the following morning, so club announced the squad with him in it, but the next morning had further back spasms and on medical advice was withdrawn. He was sat on the players' bench throughout the game. The major concern is that he may not be fit for Wembley, but club trying everything and hope he's ok for Catalans. If not, then the Final is dubious, obviously.
devon jim 1

Post by devon jim 1 »

whoever wrote DEvon jim post I agree with
phil winnard

Post by phil winnard »

I think the main problem isn't the tactics but the real lack of world class players at the moment. Over the last few years we have lost the likes of Leulali, Carmont, Lima, Hoffman, Finch and have replaced them with players NOT of the same quality. The only world class players we have at the moment are Sam, Lockers and Charnley. ( perhaps Mossop too) Prescott has been injured all year so that has not helped either as he is a real handful on the few occasions he is fit. The rest are good players but not world class. We are obviously a much better side when Lockers and Sam are playing. At the moment I feel we are capable of beating anyone in superleague providing we can field our best team. Without Sam and Lockers we lack penetration and have no xfactor apart from Charnley.
That said I still think with our best team out we could win the double with a bit of luck as injuries play a big role at the end of season. If Wire, Huddersfield or Leeds have their key players out then they struggle too!!
the winky one

Post by the winky one »

Nezza Faz wrote:
the winky one wrote:I don't have a strong opinion about tactics although at times they are a bit baffling...but then that's why I'm not a coach and Wane is... we seem to have a sort of brain explosion sometimes for 20 minutes or so, when everything we try falls apart.

Know Sam was injured - Club made huge attempts and spent a fortune mid-week to get him fit. Improved the following morning, so club announced the squad with him in it, but the next morning had further back spasms and on medical advice was withdrawn. He was sat on the players' bench throughout the game. The major concern is that he may not be fit for Wembley, but club trying everything and hope he's ok for Catalans. If not, then the Final is dubious, obviously.

Thanks for that,somebody at the Huddersfield game told my friend that.
Obviously making mischief
devon jim 1

Post by devon jim 1 »

Can't argue with that Phil
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

phil winnard wrote:I think the main problem isn't the tactics but the real lack of world class players at the moment. Over the last few years we have lost the likes of Leulali, Carmont, Lima, Hoffman, Finch and have replaced them with players NOT of the same quality. The only world class players we have at the moment are Sam, Lockers and Charnley. ( perhaps Mossop too) Prescott has been injured all year so that has not helped either as he is a real handful on the few occasions he is fit. The rest are good players but not world class. We are obviously a much better side when Lockers and Sam are playing. At the moment I feel we are capable of beating anyone in superleague providing we can field our best team. Without Sam and Lockers we lack penetration and have no xfactor apart from Charnley.
That said I still think with our best team out we could win the double with a bit of luck as injuries play a big role at the end of season. If Wire, Huddersfield or Leeds have their key players out then they struggle too!!
Exactly, and might explain the recent comment by Wane that the club will have to start looking down under for better class players from down under to supplement the better club produced players. We may produce more good young players than any other club in our game, but at the end of the day you can only produce so many of a required standard, so we need to have a number of class overseas players like Leeds, St Helens and Warrington to strengthen the squad. At the present time the only overseas class player we have in our group of overseas players is Pat Richards and he is leaving at the end of the season.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:Does a modern day coach use tactics to beat the opposition anymore ?
As Madge proved, yes. Same team bar one player played a very different game than Noble. Caused a shed load of controversy as well did his tactics.

For me the "one style fits all" style of play does not take into account the type of team and players you are facing nor does it take into account the type of players you have.
It depends on what the tactics are. Under Madge (who introduced playing the same way across senior and junior teams) players could slot into the first team because the tactics were workable for all the squad. Under Wane our attack relies on Sam being there. No Sam virtually no second phase attack.

As CPW has said a good coach adopts the tactics to his teams capabilities and doesn't set them to be whatever he likes and hopes the team can execute them.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

DaveO wrote:
TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:Does a modern day coach use tactics to beat the opposition anymore ?
As Madge proved, yes. Same team bar one player played a very different game than Noble. Caused a shed load of controversy as well did his tactics.

For me the "one style fits all" style of play does not take into account the type of team and players you are facing nor does it take into account the type of players you have.
It depends on what the tactics are. Under Madge (who introduced playing the same way across senior and junior teams) players could slot into the first team because the tactics were workable for all the squad. Under Wane our attack relies on Sam being there. No Sam virtually no second phase attack.

As CPW has said a good coach adopts the tactics to his teams capabilities and doesn't set them to be whatever he likes and hopes the team can execute them.
But it's not his fault, if a team fails to follow his instruction's or seeing that it is Wane, it is in you and your mate's opinion always his fault.

Like it would be if players, dropped the ball, knocked on, missed tackles etc.