Wigan's/ Super League Form Table

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Panchitta Marra

Re: Wigan's/ Super League Form Table

Post by Panchitta Marra »

How much of a miss have finchy, Tommy, Geoff Lima and The Hoff been to the Wigan team since their departure especially prior to signing deals down under.
The skill factor and effective work rate of these players has it been effectively replicated by their replacements and could it have been even under Madges guidance.
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

My problem with Wane is that most super league coaches would drool at the very thought of having players like Lockers,Charnley,Tomkins,Hansen,Micky Mac,to name but a few.And more than likely turn this team into world beaters.As it is we would be lucky on current form to beat London.We are going backward not forwards.I used to turn up to games certain in the knowledge that we would win most of our games.But as of late it's nail biting time and a feeling of dread.Will those same people still be backing Wane this time next year.I very much doubt it.But only time will tell and it's time I fear we do not have.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

KOOCH wrote:My problem with Wane is that most super league coaches would drool at the very thought of having players like Lockers,Charnley,Tomkins,Hansen,Micky Mac,to name but a few.And more than likely turn this team into world beaters.
Exactly. It is in effect what Madge did when he took over Nobles squad. The team went from nearly men to the hardest team in the league to beat and just shows the influence good coaching has.

When you line up our team against the opposition man for man it is rare you think their opposite number is better than them and even if they are not by much and often it will only be one or two players where we are not better on paper. This may not be true next year if we don't make some signings but it has been for a while.

An interesting statistic is we got four players in the dream team this year and six in 2012. In 2010 it was four and 2011 three so we have had enough top players for Wane coach by that benchmark compared to other sides.

On paper we still have a top side but it isn't playing like one. When that happens the fingers rightly point at the coach.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Panchitta Marra wrote:How much of a miss have finchy, Tommy, Geoff Lima and The Hoff been to the Wigan team since their departure especially prior to signing deals down under.
The skill factor and effective work rate of these players has it been effectively replicated by their replacements and could it have been even under Madges guidance.
I think that George Carmont has been a bigger miss - he brought calm stability to the backs, something that we have been missing recently, especially in the centres.
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

I have just had a slice of space cake and five pints of Timothy Taylors' Landlord and have come to the conclusion that SW will find the on switch on Thursday! Hic!!!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

It's quite conceivable we could get dumped out by the scum given our current form!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Some should take notice of what Ian Millward said on the Super League show about the young Wigan team finishing in the top four.

All that is needed in IMO IS to strengthen the squad is a quota of better quality of overseas players like Leeds and Warrington.

At the moment we only have one overseas player of top quality and he is leaving at the end of the season.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

jobo wrote:
Wane, who recently had his contract extended at the DW Stadium, told BBC Radio Manchester: "We've got some huge games in front of us and we need to improve our performance.
"We are aware of that but I've got the players to do that."
As ever the papers go for sensation rather than fact. He's said we need to improve which is true and he also said, we've the players to do it, which is also true.

I know a lot of fans don't think he's up to it but SW has done it before and he can do it again and he's certainly no idiot nor is he arrogant.
Cant agree, doesnt take Einstein to realise we need to improve, he is arrogant and if he really is not concerned about our form as is reported to have said then he is an idiot.
jobo

Post by jobo »

old hooker wrote:
jobo wrote:
Wane, who recently had his contract extended at the DW Stadium, told BBC Radio Manchester: "We've got some huge games in front of us and we need to improve our performance.
"We are aware of that but I've got the players to do that."
As ever the papers go for sensation rather than fact. He's said we need to improve which is true and he also said, we've the players to do it, which is also true.

I know a lot of fans don't think he's up to it but SW has done it before and he can do it again and he's certainly no idiot nor is he arrogant.
Cant agree, doesnt take Einstein to realise we need to improve, he is arrogant and if he really is not concerned about our form as is reported to have said then he is an idiot.
Read the full quote.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

jobo wrote:
DaveO wrote:
jobo wrote: As ever the papers go for sensation rather than fact.
Is this the papers?

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... 632&type=1

No its the official reaction on the club web site and when he comes out with "I'm not too concerned about our form..." on the club web site no one is sensationalising anything.
"I'm not too concerned about our form because I know we can do it and we have in the past, We weren't at our best today but at times we were OK. I know our players will want it again and we now have a huge game next Thursday at Huddersfield and we need a much improved performance."
You've got to take the quote in context. He knows we've got the players to do it and we've done it in the past. If he hadn't said "I'm not too concerned" then his statement is valid.

IMO, he just has an unfortunate way of putting things across, which as long as we are winning things I can put up with.

Btw, I'm as peed off as anyone about the way we are playing but again imo, don't think the blame lies with Wane.
The same players are failing to deliver on a week by week basis so why not do something about it? Waney said he would pick players in form, he has failed to live up to that statement!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards