Sydney Roosters it is!!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Sydney Roosters it is!!!

Post by cpwigan »

An amazing team with some awesome players.

One - or a + is that the WCC sees no Sam, no Moss, no Pat but does include Matty B, Eddy P

There was talking of moving the WCC,anybody know anything?
Kittwazzer

Re: Sydney Roosters it is!!!

Post by Kittwazzer »

cpwigan wrote:An amazing team with some awesome players.

One - or a + is that the WCC sees no Sam, no Moss, no Pat but does include Matty B, Eddy P

There was talking of moving the WCC,anybody know anything?
I got told it will be in Oz next year!
Mrs Lifter

Post by Mrs Lifter »

If it is at the DW could this be the game for the RFL to trial 2 refs?
I didn't like the idea of 2 refs at first but i've watched a lot of NRL this year and have been impressed with how it has speeded up the pob and the refs don't appear to get in the way.
mind you with our set of incompetant idiots would it be a farce?
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Mrs Lifter wrote:If it is at the DW could this be the game for the RFL to trial 2 refs?
I didn't like the idea of 2 refs at first but i've watched a lot of NRL this year and have been impressed with how it has speeded up the pob and the refs don't appear to get in the way.
mind you with our set of incompetant idiots would it be a farce?
The problem is we don't have enough good refs for one per game never mind 2!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Isn't there a nines comp or something prior to the start of their new season?

I'm sure there is!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Super League champions Wigan preparing for World Cup Challenge trip against Sydney Roosters

Wigan stand-off Blake Green is hoping the newly-crowned Super League champions get the chance to play the 2014 World Cup Challenge in his native Australia.

The Warriors will meet NRL Grand Final winners Sydney Roosters in the annual clash of the champions after the Roosters came from 18-8 down to beat Manly 26-18 on Sunday in front of a crowd of 81,491 at Sydney's ANZ Stadium.

The Challenge has been hosted by Super League clubs ever since it was restored to the international calendar in 2000, but a working party has recommended an Australian venue for 2014 and it has been pencilled in for the weekend of February 23 in Sydney.

Green, 27, who played for Parramatta, Cronulla and Canterbury before switching to Super League with Hull KR four years ago, produced a man-of-the-match performance to inspire Wigan to a 30-16 win over Warrington at Old Trafford on Saturday night, six weeks after helping them lift the Challenge Cup at Wembley.

"The whole season has been a dream," Green said. "I obviously had aspirations to play in big games but to win the two big ones and now to go to a World Club Challenge in unbelievable.

"I haven't played played in Australia for a few years now so I'm looking forward to it. I think it's going to be a great occasion."

The Roosters will be looking for their second success in their second World Club Challenge after gaining a 38-0 win over St Helens at Bolton's Reebok Stadium in 2003.

Talks will now take place between officials of Super League and the NRL to confirm details of the 2014 game but, wherever it is played, Wigan will be without three of their Grand Final-winning team following the decision of Sam Tomkins, Lee Mossop and Pat Richards to move to the NRL.

Coach Shaun Wane has already secured replacements in Matt Bowen (North Queensland), Eddy Pettybourne (Wests Tigers) and Sam Hopkins (Leigh) and the club are also thought to have agreed deals with London Broncos duo Dan Sarginson and Tony Clubb.

Green said: "It's going to be a difficult challenge and obviously we've some pretty important people leaving the club that are part of the team at the moment.

"But we're going to have some replacements coming in and we've got some really good kids as well. We'll just focus on some down time now and I'm sure when we get back, am sure Waney will have our heads on for a couple of months ahead of that game."

The Roosters were inspired by dual-code international Sonny Bill Williams as they presented former Catalan Dragons coach Trent Robinson with the club's 13th premiership in his first season in charge.

Williams, who returned to league at the start of the season, afterwards declined to end speculation over his future, suggesting he is more likely to return to union in time for next season and it would be a surprise if he was in New Zealand's World Cup squad when it is unveiled on Tuesday.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyl ... sters.html
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

The Challenge has been hosted by Super League clubs ever since it was restored to the international calendar in 2000, but a working party has recommended an Australian venue for 2014 and it has been pencilled in for the weekend of February 23 in Sydney.
Will our season have started do you think?

It's going to be hard if it has! At least when the Aussies come over their season hadn't started.

It used to always be the very first game of our season until Leeds had it changed!!
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Trip of a lifetime if dates work out. (have to play a blinder to sell this one to the wife)
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

If it takes place in the first half of the season, then all's good. Doesn't matter if we focus on that and let a few SL matches go against us. We know you don't need to finish top of the table after the regular season to be champs.

Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Mr Lenegan has said that they will be pushing for Sydney in March :)

Better start saving Stephen :wink: