BT wins £897m Champions League deal

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
cpwigan

Re: BT wins £897m Champions League deal

Post by cpwigan »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Elite football is very much the domain of the mega rich nowadays.
It sure is, but the question is, 'What happens when they get fed up and find something better'?
The American mega rich are the unknown IMO but those from say the Middle East simply invest without a care as they do in say Horse Racing.
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

I dont understand your post re Americans being unknown.The owners of Liverpool,United,Villa and soon Arsenal appear to be very professional in the way they run the clubs.I think prior to purchasing football clubs they were involved in American sport which is very passionate.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

platt-warrior wrote:I dont understand your post re Americans being unknown.The owners of Liverpool,United,Villa and soon Arsenal appear to be very professional in the way they run the clubs.I think prior to purchasing football clubs they were involved in American sport which is very passionate.
The unknown is re their motives. To the best of my knowledge America owners rarely see sports ownership as an open cheque book like the Middle East owners seem to. It striks me American owners see club ownership as an investment whereby they may want are return some day rather than philanthropic / rich mans toy.
Mr Stu

Post by Mr Stu »

cpwigan wrote:
platt-warrior wrote:I dont understand your post re Americans being unknown.The owners of Liverpool,United,Villa and soon Arsenal appear to be very professional in the way they run the clubs.I think prior to purchasing football clubs they were involved in American sport which is very passionate.
The unknown is re their motives. To the best of my knowledge America owners rarely see sports ownership as an open cheque book like the Middle East owners seem to. It striks me American owners see club ownership as an investment whereby they may want are return some day rather than philanthropic / rich mans toy.
You're right there CP, American owners mostly go into ownership of a club/franchise to at least break even. Most American sports have a salary cap and the owners are very powerful in the running of the competitions, e.g the salary cap. Potential American owners are reluctant to get involved in football because they are not willing to pay Billions into it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... sh-soccer/

Here is an example of this.
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

Mr Stu wrote:
cpwigan wrote:
You're right there CP, American owners mostly go into ownership of a club/franchise to at least break even. Most American sports have a salary cap and the owners are very powerful in the running of the competitions, e.g the salary cap. Potential American owners are reluctant to get involved in football because they are not willing to pay Billions into it.

The half a dozen or so American billianairs seem to be in it for the long hall.I think the example you pick on is slightly "sour grapes "for losing out on Liverpool.The now owners of Man Utd seem quite happy with the volume of debt to which the various companies are liable.
The salary cap you discribe in the States I would suggest is in the region of millions of dollars per player or a cap that we are not used to.
Mr Stu

Post by Mr Stu »

platt-warrior wrote:
Mr Stu wrote:
cpwigan wrote: The unknown is re their motives. To the best of my knowledge America owners rarely see sports ownership as an open cheque book like the Middle East owners seem to. It striks me American owners see club ownership as an investment whereby they may want are return some day rather than philanthropic / rich mans toy.

The half a dozen or so American billianairs seem to be in it for the long hall.I think the example you pick on is slightly "sour grapes "for losing out on Liverpool.The now owners of Man Utd seem quite happy with the volume of debt to which the various companies are liable.
The salary cap you discribe in the States I would suggest is in the region of millions of dollars per player or a cap that we are not used to.
The salary cap for the NFL is $122 million dollars per team over a year, each roster has 53 players. compare that with bigger premier league teams and that is not massive. The top tier players earn the big money but others do not in comparison.

Manchester united have been in massive debt since the Glazers bought them out but they are a global brand and they make big money and therefore are able to sustain it. Arsenal club who will do well IF they continually get in the champions league. The rest will continually lose money most years. I doubt it's sour grapes from Kraft as he is very smart when it comes to owning a club and in business, hence him not willing to spend/lose a fortune just to be able to compete.