Thurston awarded second Golden Boot

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Thurston awarded second Golden Boot

Post by josie andrews »

Johnathan Thurston has become only the third man to win Rugby League World’s coveted Golden Boot on two occasions.

The champion Kangaroos, Queensland and North Queensland Toyota Cowboys five-eighth edged out England forward Sam Burgess to follow up his success in 2011.

Thurston caught the attention of the 13-man voting panel with his man-of-the-match performance in the World Cup final win over New Zealand, completing an outstanding series for the 30-year-old.

It was one of four man-of-the-match awards he received during the tournament.

Thurston also took the Cowboys to the NRL finals for a record third straight season and helped continued Queensland’s stunning run of eight successive State of Origin series wins in 2013.

“We asked the panel to consider performances in international matches first and foremost, and given his outstanding World Cup campaign, Jonathan Thurston has emerged as a deserving winner,” Rugby League World editor Gareth Walker said.

“Ever since breaking onto the international scene almost eight years ago, Thurston has been at the very forefront of the sport at its highest level.

“During that time he has also collected a host of individually honours domestically, and is at the very centre of Queensland’s stunning run of wins.

“When Rugby League World contacted Thurston to tell him of his award, he spoke about being privileged to play alongside a host of players who will be remembered as greats of our sport.

“It is clear that after joining Andrew Johns and Darren Lockyer in an exclusive club of people to win the Golden Boot twice, Jonathan Thurston will also be among those.”

Thurston is one of nine Australian players in the World XIII selected by Rugby League World, alongside two Englishman and two New Zealanders.

However no player from Super League made the team, with England’s Burgess and James Graham both plying their trade in the NRL.

GOLDEN BOOT VOTING 2013

1 Johnathan Thurston – 41 points
2 Sam Burgess – 34 points
3 Sonny Bill Williams – 23 points
4 Cameron Smith – 13 points
5 Danny Brough – 5 points
6 Cooper Cronk – 1 point

WORLD XIII 2013

1 Billy Slater (Australia)
2 Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (New Zealand)
3 Greg Inglis (Australia)
4 Jamie Lyon (Australia)
5 Brett Morris (Australia)
6 Johnathan Thurston (Australia)
7 Cooper Cronk (Australia)
8 Sam Burgess (England)
9 Cameron Smith (Australia)
10 James Graham (England)
11 Sonny Bill Williams (New Zealand)
12 Greg Bird (Australia)
13 Paul Gallen (Australia)

http://www.cowboys.com.au/news-display/ ... oot/89357?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Panchitta Marra

Re: Thurston awarded second Golden Boot

Post by Panchitta Marra »

No Sir Sinny in the world 13 team.
Shocking.
:o
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Cam Smith should be getting far more votes
southernpie

Post by southernpie »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Cam Smith should be getting far more votes
I dont want to take anything away from Thurston as he is a damn fine player.

But i do echo your thoughts on Cameron Smith, what does the bloke have to do to get the international recognition?.

As player he is outstanding and also as a captain he leads by example.

As a person he certainly come across as a consummate professional.
And my recollection is that Cammy had more impact on the final than Thurston, would have had my MOM
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Smith would be my Golden Boot choice. He has led Queensland to their most sucessful era in their history and IIRC played every game in the WC and has led to Australia being unbeaten in 2013.

The media boys who award it say it is about rep / international RL YET Sam Burgess gets votes a plenty despite missing games over here during the regular season.

Harry Edgar / Open Rugby created this and did a great job; League Pubs have a British agenda and screwed it up.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

TWO EYED WARRIOR wrote:With Sonny Bill you get a lot of hype, Burgess had a great world cup and led by example but again smith goes about his business and just gets on with it.

I would go as far as saying he is probably one of the best hookers i have seen in the modern day game
Totally agree. Hard to think of a more complete, influential hooker in my time.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

cpwigan wrote:Smith would be my Golden Boot choice. He has led Queensland to their most sucessful era in their history and IIRC played every game in the WC and has led to Australia being unbeaten in 2013.

The media boys who award it say it is about rep / international RL YET Sam Burgess gets votes a plenty despite missing games over here during the regular season.

Harry Edgar / Open Rugby created this and did a great job; League Pubs have a British agenda and screwed it up.
Like most top sporting awards its awarded not just on ability but how photogenic you are in front of a camera and if the media loves you. Look at the world footballer award Real Madrid won nothing major last season but yet Ronaldo got the award. Bale won the PFA and writers player of the year. Ribery should have been World player and Suarez PFA players of the year. Both are ugly looking people who do very little in for advertisement and publicity for certain brands. Whilst the other 2 never miss a photo op.

Cameron Smith is not just the best player in the game for me atm but arguable the best hooker of all time. If both were available i know which one i would have first.