Sam Burgess to Union

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
shevington

Sam Burgess to Union

Post by shevington »

Not sure if this has already been posted but the Daily Mail are reporting that Sam Burgess is off to Union to play in the Aviva Premiership and to be fast tracked into the England RU set up.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... plans.html

IMO this would be a huge backwards step for his career.
josie andrews

South Sydney Rabbitohs: No approach from rugby union teams for England forward Sam Burgess

Post by josie andrews »

South Sydney Rabbitohs have denied that Sam Burgess is set to switch codes to rugby union.

Thursday's Daily Mail has suggested that the England international forward is set to leave the NRL at the end of the current season to begin a three-year deal with an Premiership side, believed to be Bath, in the hope of representing England at the 2015 World Cup.

However, in a statement, the Rabbitohs stated that they had not been approached by any rugby union clubs interested in recruiting Burgess, whose contract with the Australian club runs until 2016.

"The club has had no contact from Sam's management, the Rugby Football Union (RFU) or any rugby union clubs in the UK regarding a release for Sam Burgess from his NRL contract with the Rabbitohs," read the statement.

Burgess joined the Rabbitohs from Bradford in 2010 and has played a big part in the Sydney side's success, helping them finish second in the NRL table and come within one game of the Grand Final.

Souths captain John Sutton says it will be a big loss, on and off the field, if Burgess departs.

"It would be a loss, he is a great player," Sutton said. "Ever since he came to Souths he has been a leader.

"He would be a big loss if he does go but I don't know anything about that.

"I'm not worried. We have a year ahead to worry about."

http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-league/ ... aving-club
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
AndyNick

Re: Sam Burgess to Union

Post by AndyNick »

I think he'd do well, Either as a Centre or a No.8.

The issue is what this might trigger. If Sam goes, you can guarantee that George, Tom and Luke more than likely won't be far behind. Whilst Super League can't compete with NRL wages wise, League cannot match what Union can offer these lads.

For Union to poach one of the games Superstars at the peak of his career would raise concern of who else might go. Sam Tomkins? There are already whispers about Josh Charnley. The ARU Got Folau albeit via AFL but he'd turned his back on League well before that. If the RFU can get Sam Burgess out of the Rabittohs it really sends a statement that they can take who they want and there is nothing anyone can do about it.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

South Sydney Rabbitohs: No approach from rugby union teams for England forward Sam Burgess

South Sydney Rabbitohs have denied that Sam Burgess is set to switch codes to rugby union.

Thursday's Daily Mail has suggested that the England international forward is set to leave the NRL at the end of the current season to begin a three-year deal with an Premiership side, believed to be Bath, in the hope of representing England at the 2015 World Cup.

However, in a statement, the Rabbitohs stated that they had not been approached by any rugby union clubs interested in recruiting Burgess, whose contract with the Australian club runs until 2016.

"The club has had no contact from Sam's management, the Rugby Football Union (RFU) or any rugby union clubs in the UK regarding a release for Sam Burgess from his NRL contract with the Rabbitohs," read the statement.

Burgess joined the Rabbitohs from Bradford in 2010 and has played a big part in the Sydney side's success, helping them finish second in the NRL table and come within one game of the Grand Final.

Souths captain John Sutton says it will be a big loss, on and off the field, if Burgess departs.

"It would be a loss, he is a great player," Sutton said. "Ever since he came to Souths he has been a leader.

"He would be a big loss if he does go but I don't know anything about that.

"I'm not worried. We have a year ahead to worry about."

http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-league/ ... aving-club
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
AndyNick

Post by AndyNick »

Now where have we all heard full scale denials about a player leaving before?????
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

Kaii

Post by Kaii »

The Rabbitohs have already said there has been no approach from any one, specifically saying none from rfu, players management or any uk rugby union side. This is all down to the daily mail, they know about 5 players names and continually use them to bs
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Kaii wrote:The Rabbitohs have already said there has been no approach from any one, specifically saying none from rfu, players management or any uk rugby union side. This is all down to the daily mail, they know about 5 players names and continually use them to bs
I think in this case there is no smoke without fire.Lancaster been to Australia even been around Rabbitohs club and players openly admiting speaking to Sam. so the story seems more than conjecture to me.Hope I am wrong.
devon jim 1

Post by devon jim 1 »

shevington wrote:Not sure if this has already been posted but the Daily Mail are reporting that Sam Burgess is off to Union to play in the Aviva Premiership and to be fast tracked into the England RU set up.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... plans.html

IMO this would be a huge backwards step for his career.
Just heard Stuart Lancaster interviewed on Sky. He' says just speculation at the moment. But where there's smoke thre's fire Hope not :exc:
cpwigan

Re: South Sydney Rabbitohs: No approach from rugby union teams for England...

Post by cpwigan »

The Daily Mail has 3 pages all but confirming it will happen.

I can understand Sam going if they are throwing crazy money at him BUT I actually struggle to see how Union can make the most of his talent. In many respects I think George is better suited to Union than Sam.