Charnley needs to improve!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cow yeds

Re: Charnley needs to improve!

Post by cow yeds »

Saw this tweet a while ago.
@Joshuacharnley: Get me out of here
Just had another look now been deleted, is it him or is someone stirring the s***??
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

cow yeds wrote:Saw this tweet a while ago.
@Joshuacharnley: Get me out of here
Just had another look now been deleted, is it him or is someone stirring the s***??
Probably one of his mates got hold of his phone!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
DaveO wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:I have no problem with what SW has done and I am sure you will see Josh firing on all cylinders very soon.
I do because I don't believe public criticism ever motivates anyone at all.

I don't have a problem with him dropping the player if he feels it justified but SW still needs to learn when to stop volunteering TMI to the press IMO.

(Don't you just love TLA's!)
Josh has played nothing short of World Class RL under SW, he has also known him for many years and worked with him day in day out, I will trust SW on this 'criticism' of Josh to bring the best RL out of him again, not that it is really anything to 'critical' IMO anyway!!
I don't think Wane is any more of a psychologist than you or I are.

I have worked long enough to see managers who criticise people publicly as opposed to taking them to one side and having the necessary words to see the negative effects this has. I have never seen it have the effect of turning things around but I have seen it destroy confidence, breed animosity and loss of respect for those doing the criticising.

Once that enters someone's head it is just a matter of time before they leave if they are in the happy position as Josh is of being in demand (which in my industry, computer software, has usually been the case hence the analogy above).
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

SW did the same thing at the start of last season with the same player. And it didn't seem to demotivate Josh. Some players/people need an arm ruond the shoulder and a helping hand to get the best out of them, some don't.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

DaveO wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
DaveO wrote: I do because I don't believe public criticism ever motivates anyone at all.

I don't have a problem with him dropping the player if he feels it justified but SW still needs to learn when to stop volunteering TMI to the press IMO.

(Don't you just love TLA's!)
Josh has played nothing short of World Class RL under SW, he has also known him for many years and worked with him day in day out, I will trust SW on this 'criticism' of Josh to bring the best RL out of him again, not that it is really anything to 'critical' IMO anyway!!

I have worked long enough to see managers who criticise people publicly as opposed to taking them to one side and having the necessary words to see the negative effects this has. I have never seen it have the effect of turning things around but I have seen it destroy confidence, breed animosity and loss of respect for those doing the criticising.

Once that enters someone's head it is just a matter of time before they leave if they are in the happy position as Josh is of being in demand (which in my industry, computer software, has usually been the case hence the analogy above).
Another example of you over analysing things DaveO. SW doesn't need to be a psychologist to know whether Josh will respond positively to criticism or not. It is just about knowing someone and like I said I will trust SW knows Josh well enough to think it will work. Considering Josh has scored nearly 100 tries in 100 games under SW I think they will be just fine!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
DaveO wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote: Josh has played nothing short of World Class RL under SW, he has also known him for many years and worked with him day in day out, I will trust SW on this 'criticism' of Josh to bring the best RL out of him again, not that it is really anything to 'critical' IMO anyway!!

Another example of you over analysing things DaveO. SW doesn't need to be a psychologist to know whether Josh will respond positively to criticism or not. It is just about knowing someone and like I said I will trust SW knows Josh well enough to think it will work. Considering Josh has scored nearly 100 tries in 100 games under SW I think they will be just fine!!
I am not over analysing anything. You are the one claiming Wane knows how to push Josh's buttons. I don't think their is the remotest chance Wane went public deliberately on this so as to motivate Josh.

He was asked a question and answered it. He tends to volunteer information to the press like this and has ended up being indiscreet. In my opinion in doing so he ended up publicly criticising the player and I have never seen that motivate anyone.

There is a difference between taking a player to one side and telling him he has to improve to make the team in private and going public with it. The former might motivate some players to try harder. The latter is a good way to breed resentment.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Maybe a certain ex Wigan coach has unsettled him when he was in Australia
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:personally I don't like single players being highlighted in the media this could of gone under the "there are individuals who need to improve and they know who they are" banner.

I don't think this is the same as the EL saga as he disappeared for weeks, not just sat on the bench for one game.

I would for example like to know what has gone on with Sam Hopkins but it seems the gaps that need filling are left silent
But you catch my point exactly.

If I was a betting men I would say that Wane was more bothered about Charnley off-field than on field (although that is my own speculation). It has all ready been said that he could not have been fully fit never mind match fit for one of the biggest matches this season after his operation. Personally I am sure this is more to do with application regards to training.

However, back to what I said and EL was given as only an example of one of the players last season where rumours surrounding him were allowed to build without recourse from the club.

Certain posters on here (and they have posted within this thread) felt that we as fans, needed to be informed instantly about any indiscretion or speculation no matter how private or personal the speculative gossip and rumour had become.

I am sure Wane feels this is better in open domain rather than festering in what would and could have become knowledge via rumour

Were some fans to post they heard JC was dropped and the club maintained a deafening silence on the matter, would this not make fans suspicious something more was involved if it has come from rumour first?
Which in turn helps spread rumours of player/coach confrontation or worse, rumours surrounding player being unsettled. This is simply Wane saying he wasn't happy with Charnley's "effort". Some on here are all ready over-reading this so it proves that no matter whether the clubs puts out an official statement or not regarding any player - it is damned
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

SW knows Josh much better than I do, and if he needs a public kick to concentrate on playing for Wigan, so be it. He is the one who has developed the player and worked with him every day for years. Wane's results show him to be an expert at getting the best out of his players.
Aluaka

Post by Aluaka »

The point is:-
  • Josh does something/things that Wane isn't happy with
    Wane rollocks Josh
    Wane tells the media he's rollocked Josh
Communication! Isn't that what were always frustrated with a lack of in so many other situations?

Still no public messages about players who have been ushered out the back door quietly (such as Andy Powell) - personally I am all for this type of open, honest and clear communication.

If something's not to the managers liking he should have it out with the player - and be able to share it with media. Why should players be protected from bad news stories in their own little shell (gaining product advertising deals left, right and centre as they are big names who are perceived to do no wrongs?!

Don't get me wrong, I've liked Josh a lot as a player but I've felt his attitude change. He is constantly plugging his clothing company connection on twitter, his affinity to Nando's and various other fast food outlets and getting in with the wrong crowd (cheap E list Essex girls for example).

If this is Wane's way of stopping the off field antics and attitude - so be it! How many players let down the England team in the world cup period because of their unprofessional off field antics?[/list]