Greg Burke...

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Greg Burke...

Post by josie andrews »

... has gone on a months loan to Bradford, will face Hull FC on Friday

:( :(
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
AndyNick

Re: Greg Burke...

Post by AndyNick »

Sutcliffe has gone there on loan from Leeds as well.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

josie andrews wrote:... has gone on a months loan to Bradford, will face Hull FC on Friday

:( :(
Well at least it is only a month. I thought he was excellent last year deputising for Lockers early on when Lockers was out injured.

I'd hope to see much more of him this year as I really think he as the makings of a top player.

One thing to bare in mind is that Bradford are now under "special measures" which means they can't sign players but can still loan players.

So maybe Wigan see the Bull's misfortune as a way to get players game time as Bradford will be very open to taking players as good as Burke on loan as they try and overcome the -6 points deficit they were given (nearly there already down to -2).

Perhaps we also hope to curry some favour in the voting in future once Bradford are allowed to vote again.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Burke Joins Bradford on Loan

Wigan Forward Greg Burke has today joined Super League side Bradford Bulls on a One-Month Loan deal.

Greg was on the bench for Sunday's 46-24 win over Wakefield Trinity Wildcats at the DW Stadium and made seventeen First Team appearances for the Club in 2013 after impressing in the early part of the season.

Speaking about the Loan deal, Warriors Head Coach Shaun Wane said;

"This is a good opportunity for Greg to gain some regular football at the highest level and he will come back to us in a month's time with some Super League game time under his belt. Greg is a valuable member of our playing squad but at the moment I can't promise him a regular place in the side and both him and the Bulls will benefit from this agreement."

Bradford Head Coach Francis Cummins added;

"I am very excited about what Greg might produce over the next few weeks or so.

"We believe he will prove a real handful for the opposition and he certainly adds a huge amount to our pack.

"I would like to thank Wigan Warriors and Shaun Wane for allowing him to come to us for a period. We hope to see him further improve with us here at the Bulls."

Greg is likely to be in the Bulls squad for Friday's away game against Hull FC at the KC Stadium.

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/WContent.a ... LIWbo0E.99
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

A big well done to the Leeds and the Wigan club's in helping a fellow established club like Bradford have the loan of two good young members of their respective squads.
Alreetas

Post by Alreetas »

I think it is a good way to get some of the fringe based players game time on a short term measure.
and as it helps out another superleague club that is not hull fc or warrington I am happy
To understand the man you must first understand his demons
chnwh

Post by chnwh »

I expect both players to stay for the full season.

No harm in that I don't think provided we have a call back option (think we will have with him going for a month first) should we need him but he appears to be behind Faz, Lockers, Clubb, Bateman and Hughes for the back three positions.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

chnwh wrote:I expect both players to stay for the full season.

No harm in that I don't think provided we have a call back option (think we will have with him going for a month first) should we need him but he appears to be behind Faz, Lockers, Clubb, Bateman and Hughes for the back three positions.
He can compete with Bateman and Hughes IMO but he seems a natural 13 so Lockers is in his way. I don't think Clubb enters into it. Apparently he went well at prop v Wakey but he was shocking v Hudds in the back row.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I agree with DaveO Burke for me is a more natural 13 than any other position. I think we can afford with Burke and Bateman on the books to give Lockers an easier ride, he is a model pro and doesn't need to play week in week out, I think we could manage him better and bring these 2 on prolonging lockers career but not cutting off their growth and experience
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure