Sam Tomkins to make debut

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Sam Tomkins to make debut

Post by josie andrews »

England full-back Sam Tomkins will make his NRL debut this weekend and will be in good company, with up to eight other players who finished the 2013 Super League season making their first starts for their new Australian clubs.

Tomkins, a £700,000 buy from Wigan, will don the number one jersey for the New Zealand Warriors against Parramatta Eels at Pirtek Stadium on Sunday.

His former Wigan team-mate Lee Mossop, who has joined Parramatta, must wait for his debut after being sidelined by shoulder surgery.

Half-back Michael Witt, who was among an exodus of players from London Broncos at the end of last season, will make his debut for St George Illawarra in a new half-back partnership with England international Gareth Widdop, who made the move from Melbourne in the close season.

Former Warrington front-row forward Mike Cooper has been named on a five-man bench for the Dragons, who play Wests Tigers at Sydney's ANZ Stadium on Sunday.

The Tigers welcome back winger Pat Richards, who has returned to the club from his eight-year spell at Wigan, while ex-Bradford and St Helens coach Mick Potter will give debuts to former Bulls centre Keith Lulia and back-row forward Cory Paterson, who left Hull KR in 2013.

Former Hull KR captain Michael Dobson will make his debut for Newcastle Knights against Penrith on Saturday, going up against Jamie Soward, who has joined the Panthers after completing a short-term stint with London in 2013.

Former Salford and Hull stand-off Daniel Holdsworth will make first appearance for Cronulla against Gold Coast Titans on Monday.

The NRL season kicks off on Thursday, with defending champions Sydney Roosters opening up against South Sydney at ANZ Stadium.

Souths are without England forward Tom Burgess, who has a foot injury, but include his three brothers, Sam, George and Luke, while former Catalan prop Remi Casty must wait to make his debut for the Roosters after missing out on selection.

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugby-leagu ... 9195485/-?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Re: Sam Tomkins to make debut

Post by DaveO »

I know some of those names are those of Aussies returning home but when was the last time so many English RL players were playing in the NRL?

It would not surprise me if we have to go back to the time when we played in winter and quite a few players went in the off season for short term deals.

I wasn't aware Holdsworth was over there either.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Not really bothered, not gonna cheer him on and praise him to high heaven, he no longer wanted to be at this club so sod him, if he'd stayed this season then went it would have been ok in my book, wasn't that much of a fan of his in the first place
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

medlocke wrote:Not really bothered, not gonna cheer him on and praise him to high heaven, he no longer wanted to be at this club so sod him, if he'd stayed this season then went it would have been ok in my book, wasn't that much of a fan of his in the first place
Sam is Just another 2nd rater like lockers meds.
Can see where you're coming from.
sheepsteeth

Post by sheepsteeth »

I wanna know who mike cooper's agent is. He must be the best agent going if he can get such a bang average player a go in the NRL.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

sheepsteeth wrote:I wanna know who mike cooper's agent is. He must be the best agent going if he can get such a bang average player a go in the NRL.
When we sign average players its all about how our coaching and fitness regime will turn them into good players.

Perhaps that applies with Cooper in the NRL?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Well this quote made me smile:

"If someone spots you in Wigan they will get you in a headlock and put you on the phone to their wife. People over here are a bit more shy."

from here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/26452042
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Your link didn't work for me Dave, it looks the same, try this :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/26452042
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

Well he's only having an ok debut so far with the Warriors losing to the Eels 24 16 after 55 minutes.

Some nice touches from Sam but the eels winger Radradra with a hattrick has stole the limelight ( the Aussie commentators seem obsessed with his name).
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
jobo

Post by jobo »

He doesn't look a million $ player, that's for sure. The warriors are terrible.

Could be a long hard season for Sam.