Purring

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
devon jim 1

Re: Purring

Post by devon jim 1 »

Thanks for that Kitt.Not got kindle but daughter has. Love all that 'all our Yesterdays stuu. hope to get to Wigan when we play Saints at the DW I'll try to visit the library to 'see' the exibition shop. Should be good. The Minorca you menttion is opposite the Clarence Hotel I think :D
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

devon jim 1 wrote:Thanks for that Kitt.Not got kindle but daughter has. Love all that 'all our Yesterdays stuu. hope to get to Wigan when we play Saints at the DW I'll try to visit the library to 'see' the exibition shop. Should be good. The Minorca you menttion is opposite the Clarence Hotel I think :D
Must admit, it was the Wigan connection that prompted to read it. The main character, a junior lawyer, is despatched from his London firm and arrives at Wallgate Station. As you say, the Minorca was across the road. I was quite surprised that it was so old. Then again, the whole of that area is listed!
devon jim 1

Post by devon jim 1 »

Glad they've had the good sense t'list it Kitt :D
magsrads

Post by magsrads »

Managed to get a copy of 'Rose' on Amazon - it arrived in NZ today .... looking forward to having a wallow in the bath with it .... daren't do that with the kindle LOL
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

magsrads wrote:Managed to get a copy of 'Rose' on Amazon - it arrived in NZ today .... looking forward to having a wallow in the bath with it .... daren't do that with the kindle LOL
Let us know what you think?
magsrads

Post by magsrads »

Just finished 'Rose' ... started yesterday and couldn't bear to put it down .... Loved it on so many levels!
My Great great grandma was a pit brow lass and my grandad was a miner (at Parkside ) so all that was really interesting ... the Cannell Room transported me back to visiting the museum when it was over the children's library with all the Cannell coal exhibits (are they still around?) when I was a kid ...
I loved the idea of the 'Wigan Home for Single Woman Who Have Fallen for the First Time' ! and being brazen for wearing trousers and having bare arms . :o
As for the ' purring ' its certainly made me think differently about the origins of clog dancing.
But my other half agrees 'For discriminating gentlemen there is nothing like a Wigan (pit) girl' :wink:
Any more books about Wigan you can recommend?
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

magsrads wrote:Just finished 'Rose' ... started yesterday and couldn't bear to put it down .... Loved it on so many levels!
My Great great grandma was a pit brow lass and my grandad was a miner (at Parkside ) so all that was really interesting ... the Cannell Room transported me back to visiting the museum when it was over the children's library with all the Cannell coal exhibits (are they still around?) when I was a kid ...
I loved the idea of the 'Wigan Home for Single Woman Who Have Fallen for the First Time' ! and being brazen for wearing trousers and having bare arms . :o
As for the ' purring ' its certainly made me think differently about the origins of clog dancing.
But my other half agrees 'For discriminating gentlemen there is nothing like a Wigan (pit) girl' :wink:
Any more books about Wigan you can recommend?
A mate of mine (ex-Regiment) has recently published a book called 'Engulfed' under the name of Malcolm Hollingdrake. Its an action thriller and whilst not exactly set in Wigan, some of the action takes place around here. Its only available on Kindle but well worth the £1.52!